Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:39:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING!! BEWARE S11 SCAM Email!!  (Read 1381 times)
Gilliam

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 07:13:52 PM

Just got an email from " No rply@bitmaintech.com offering a "presale fpr the new S11 at 74 THs and 1400 watts. $2200 each. Complete with Bar code payment options, Crypto only.  TOTAL SCAM!! DO NOT FALL FOR IT. All purchases are done at Bitmain website and this is not. All emails from bitmain are from " webmaster@bitmaintech" not nrply@bitmaintech.com.

then wtf they know our email.

inside job?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BenRickert (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 09:51:37 PM
Merited by thiec (1)

Just got an email from " No rply@bitmaintech.com offering a "presale fpr the new S11 at 74 THs and 1400 watts. $2200 each. Complete with Bar code payment options, Crypto only.  TOTAL SCAM!! DO NOT FALL FOR IT. All purchases are done at Bitmain website and this is not. All emails from bitmain are from " webmaster@bitmaintech" not nrply@bitmaintech.com.

then wtf they know our email.

inside job?
Bitmain was hacked sometime last year. They sent all registered users emails requesting we change our passwords. They DID alert their customer base of the situation. The scumbag thieves seem to have "older" information. In a few cases, myself included, they have an old mailing address for me. Pretty amazing that the dirt bags waited this long to hatch their little scheme. It's very likely that the thieves were born from and raised by cheap street level prostitutes. They have probably been very busy cleaning up after their mother's sexual messes day in and day out.

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
ay-x

Activity: 153

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 10:17:40 PM

pointing to our personal data being stolen.
Please note the attached files and links in the mails.
There have always been malicious people, there will always be.
juninhodecio

Activity: 268
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 10:26:50 PM

Bitmain : Please be advised that Bitmain haven't contacted customers by telephone or email to announce Antminer S11. Do not purchase from such a caller or an email and do not give them your personal information. For more detail please see this article: https://blog.bitmain.com/en/fraudulent-websites-and-scams-alert/
For official updates and Bitmain news please follow our blog: https://blog.bitmain.com/en/
?: but the email has personal information
?: how is this possible?
Bitmain : We have forwarded this information to the team that is investigating the recent hack of our database. This could contribute to making our database more secure for the future. It could also just be a phishing attempt from someone pretending to have what is being offered.
Anyway, please only trust emails from www.bitmain.com or www.bitmaintech.com and remember that Bitmain never requests payment through email. Any pending payment would be shown on your www.bitmain.com account.
?: offer email is webmaster@bitmaintech.com
Bitmain : yes, we know
Bitmain : We are now monitoring our system to ensure the security of customer information.

They have updated data according to this post.

gr1ndb0t

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 04:46:39 PM

These scammers called me June 5, asked me wait 'til June 9th for email info, they clearly said my account email addresses that I have been registered at bitmain. When I asked  from where are you calling from?" He says "From Moscow" but in Russia just one official service in Irkutsk - that's weird detail I suspected immediately. Sheeeet guys - only newbies can believe in this monster 79.5 TH/s only 1400W  Shocked  Is that a quantum masterpiece?  Roll Eyes
BenRickert (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 12:36:43 AM

Bitmain : Please be advised that Bitmain haven't contacted customers by telephone or email to announce Antminer S11. Do not purchase from such a caller or an email and do not give them your personal information. For more detail please see this article: https://blog.bitmain.com/en/fraudulent-websites-and-scams-alert/
For official updates and Bitmain news please follow our blog: https://blog.bitmain.com/en/
?: but the email has personal information
?: how is this possible?
Bitmain : We have forwarded this information to the team that is investigating the recent hack of our database. This could contribute to making our database more secure for the future. It could also just be a phishing attempt from someone pretending to have what is being offered.
Anyway, please only trust emails from www.bitmain.com or www.bitmaintech.com and remember that Bitmain never requests payment through email. Any pending payment would be shown on your www.bitmain.com account.
?: offer email is webmaster@bitmaintech.com
Bitmain : yes, we know
Bitmain : We are now monitoring our system to ensure the security of customer information.

They have updated data according to this post.

The attachment may have been a phishing scam. Possibly if you opened it you gave your info inadvertently??

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
juninhodecio

Activity: 268

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 12:38:23 AM

no the attachment is a simple pdf. they already have all the data
Guvn0r

Activity: 647
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:17:27 PM

Quote from: cointelegraph.com
CNBC writes that according to a report published Feb. 21 from investment research company Bernstein, the four-year-old Bitmain reportedly made between $3 and $4 billion in operating profit in 2017, whereas Nvidia, founded 24 years ago, made about $3 billion during the same period.

A company that makes more profit than tech giant like Nvidia, cannot afford to hire top level security experts to keep their systems away from hackers. It is infuriating really, these hacker scumbags now have all my info including my address and phone number. WTF Bitmain?
CryptoAllDay

Activity: 578
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 07:31:36 PM

CNBC writes that according to a report published Feb. 21 from investment research company Bernstein, the four-year-old Bitmain reportedly made between $3 and $4 billion in operating profit in 2017, whereas Nvidia, founded 24 years ago, made about $3 billion during the same period.

A company that makes more profit than tech giant like Nvidia, cannot afford to hire top level security experts to keep their systems away from hackers. It is infuriating really, these hacker scumbags now have all my info including my address and phone number. WTF Bitmain?

Wow, those numbers are crazy.  Maybe now with their reputation on the line they'll start hiring top security talent so things like this don't happen again.  Thanks for the warning, I've heard multiple people getting compromised.  I wonder why they haven't made an official announcement about it, warning customers.
cuteman

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 09:05:30 AM

Wow, those numbers are crazy.  Maybe now with their reputation on the line they'll start hiring top security talent so things like this don't happen again.  Thanks for the warning, I've heard multiple people getting compromised.  I wonder why they haven't made an official announcement about it, warning customers.
I sent to Bitmain request for explanation, but no reply.   Same scammer continue to send email nearly every day , with the same toopic and text.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 09:30:41 AM

Yes I am not surprised by this at all.

Even after they got hacked and all that info was leaked, they barely provided an update. They didn't even specify what exactly was leaked out. All they said was some database got hacked.

Given how poorly their website was designed and operated and same with their bad Antpool, I am not surprised that it was easily hackable.

Pretty much all their products are half-ass assembled and produced. Nothing quality like the old Antminer S1/S2/S3 they used to make.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Spacefruit

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 09:35:56 AM

Gentlemen

Thank you for this thread - I just got an email with a PDF last night,
In my head I had sold all the S9's and sent everything I have for these S11's

BUT THEY DO NOT EXIST

So thanks everyone, and well done to me for doing due diligence.

Happy mining all!

Guvn0r

Activity: 647
Merit: 274

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 10:06:55 AM

Yes I am not surprised by this at all.

Even after they got hacked and all that info was leaked, they barely provided an update. They didn't even specify what exactly was leaked out. All they said was some database got hacked.

Given how poorly their website was designed and operated and same with their bad Antpool, I am not surprised that it was easily hackable.

Pretty much all their products are half-ass assembled and produced. Nothing quality like the old Antminer S1/S2/S3 they used to make.

Very true, they are in the business because of greed and nothing else, they don't give a shit about their customers. I checked their website to see Antminer D3 on sale for around 300 dollars, I remember the price when it released was 2699USD (excluding psu/shipping). May be I am judging too quick, but thats an insane price drop. It is just ridiculously unfair to those who bought like 100s of these during release.

Antminer D3 (2699 USD)
SplinterZalinsk

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:49:50 PM

That's SO SO bad... in SO many levels!!!! It's unbelievable!!!!! Shocked Angry The email I received was from Bitmain's official email!!!! It's very very easy to fall in this fraud (even for experienced miners)!!! I feel SO bad for the people who fell in that shit.............. Cry
The way it was done, Bitmain is guilty and must take the consequences for it. It's not fair that people suffer such astronomical damage as that. No doubt that Bitmain has responsibility for what happened...
BenRickert (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:04:45 PM

That's SO SO bad... in SO many levels!!!! It's unbelievable!!!!! Shocked Angry The email I received was from Bitmain's official email!!!! It's very very easy to fall in this fraud (even for experienced miners)!!! I feel SO bad for the people who fell in that shit.............. Cry
The way it was done, Bitmain is guilty and must take the consequences for it. It's not fair that people suffer such astronomical damage as that. No doubt that Bitmain has responsibility for what happened...
How is this Bitmain's fault? I don't agree with everything they do but I've dealt with them extensively for a while and I have always been treated well by them. They are not the Villains people would like to portray them as. In the end we are all responsible for our decisions. Can't blame others. Life's not fair. Never was and never will be. This is a very difficult space to navigate in. It's new and there are no rules. We ALL have the ultimate responsibility to protect ourselves and others when we can, but in the end, WE are responsible. That's why I made this thread. To hopefully save a few people. Truth is, people get greedy and make bad decisions clouded by greed. On BOTH sides of the fence. Just be vigilant and don't lose your discipline. SCAMS are getting MORE and MORE sophisticated because there is a LOT of money at stake. Look at this ASICminer.com scam that is going on. I don't think that's even a real company. Yet they have videos and websites and idiots putting phony reviews on YouTube. The less people that fall for this shit the less these maggots will gain. Be careful and be VIGILANT.

SplinterZalinsk

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:29:39 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2018, 05:36:24 AM by SplinterZalinsk

How is this Bitmain's fault? I don't agree with everything they do but I've dealt with them extensively for a while and I have always been treated well by them. They are not the Villains people would like to portray them as. In the end we are all responsible for our decisions. Can't blame others. Life's not fair. Never was and never will be. This is a very difficult space to navigate in. It's new and there are no rules. We ALL have the ultimate responsibility to protect ourselves and others when we can, but in the end, WE are responsible. That's why I made this thread. To hopefully save a few people. Truth is, people get greedy and make bad decisions clouded by greed. On BOTH sides of the fence. Just be vigilant and don't lose your discipline. SCAMS are getting MORE and MORE sophisticated because there is a LOT of money at stake. Look at this ASICminer.com scam that is going on. I don't think that's even a real company. Yet they have videos and websites and idiots putting phony reviews on YouTube. The less people that fall for this shit the less these maggots will gain. Be careful and be VIGILANT.

No man, you didn't understand... how many times have you received an email from a BIG company (from their REAL servers), but was actually a fraud? If that were common and "acceptable", the email would have been extinguished a long time ago... The problem is not the email as vulnerable technology... many serious huge companies work every day with much more important data and money by email with their customers and partners. The problem is the lack of security on Bitmain servers! That's why Bitmain is guilty for that. If you had received an email from Nvidia's OFFICIAL email for example, with all your REAL data (including your address!!!) offering some kind of discount and you were fooled by it (again... coming from the OFFICIAL email with your REAL data)... the reason for this would have been purely a security breach of Nvidia and you can be sure that if you proved to have made the payment, they would take some action to reimburse you and everyone who was harmed. Any serious company would do that. If the email had been sent from another server, not from Bitmain's email server, then you would be right... But is NOT the case!
cuteman

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:39:59 AM

The email I received was from Bitmain's official email!!!!
In fact - NO.   Try to reply to that emai, and you will see that it put into the Receiver field not BM email.  But if you look into original email, you will see that it indeed looks like as sent from Bitmain.   

There is a "display" name on  emails, which can be different from the sender's email - for example:  "John Smith".   But when you reply it - you will see smth like johnsmith@gmail.com   (just an example).

So fraudsters just substituted the "display" email with the real Bitmain's one. 
cuteman

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 08:43:29 AM

Bitmain sent official email about this fraud, at last!

---------------------------------
Dear customers,

There has been another wave of phishing emails sent by fraudsters. If you do receive such emails offering Antminer models that are not available on shop.bitmain.com, such as an Antminer S10 or S11, please do not make any payment to the email senders.

There are many different types of software that are able to spoof and edit the sender's email address. The user is able to configure the domain name to send out emails to appear as webmaster@bitmaintech.com.

We would like to remind our customers once again that Bitmain does not promote or solicit sales through emails or phone calls. All orders are only accepted through our official website, https://shop.bitmain.com/

For announcements and news from Bitmain, please follow our blog.

Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Regards,

The Bitmain team

BenRickert (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 01:10:14 PM

No man, you didn't understand... how many times have you received an email from a BIG company (from their REAL servers), but was actually a fraud? If that were common and "acceptable", the email would have been extinguished a long time ago... The problem is not the email as vulnerable technology... many serious huge companies work every day with much more important data and money by email with their customers and partners. The problem is the lack of security on Bitmain servers! That's why Bitmain is guilty for that. If you had received an email from Nvidia's OFFICIAL email for example, with all your REAL data (including your address!!!) offering some kind of discount and you were fooled by it (again... coming from the OFFICIAL email with your REAL data)... the reason for this would have been purely a security breach of Nvidia and you can be sure that if you proved to have made the payment, they would take some action to reimburse you and everyone who was harmed. Any serious company would do that. If the email had been sent from another server, not from Bitmain's email server, then you would be right... But is NOT the case!
It was NOT sent from Bitmain's Server. The Emails just had the NAME of the Bitmain address masked onto the title. If it really was Bitmain's server you could reply to the email. You could not reply to these emails.  This happens constantly with other "large companies". We get scam-mail from PayPal, Amazon, Apple, Google email look a likes, ALL THE TIME. It's the way of the World my friend. Never underestimate how big of pieces of shit human beings are. Always have been and always will be.

SplinterZalinsk

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 03:03:19 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2018, 03:45:37 PM by SplinterZalinsk

It was NOT sent from Bitmain's Server. The Emails just had the NAME of the Bitmain address masked onto the title. If it really was Bitmain's server you could reply to the email. You could not reply to these emails.  This happens constantly with other "large companies". We get scam-mail from PayPal, Amazon, Apple, Google email look a likes, ALL THE TIME. It's the way of the World my friend. Never underestimate how big of pieces of shit human beings are. Always have been and always will be.

Yes... we agree on parts and I know that phishing emails happens all the time. But I've never seen anything like that... I never received a fraudulent email with the sender showing up as 'contact@paypal.com' or 'noreply@paypal.com'... is always 'contact@playpal.com', 'roreply@pay-pal.com' or something like that... AND what we can't ignore is that the email contained our confidential data which only Bitmain should know... which makes the situation even more serious and worrying. I recommend that everyone at least active the 2-factor authenticator and change the password on Bitmain site asap.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: