Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:32:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Newbie/spammers problem. Solution anyone?  (Read 475 times)
nitrocryptonitro

Activity: 83
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 02:51:10 PM

KYC is in no way a solution, as it will keeps lots of valuable posters away from the forum.
Just the implementation of cloudflare detered the famous Nullius to go on posting on that forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NadiaHel

Activity: 336
Merit: 203

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 03:17:34 PM

<>

Report to moderator, and, in the cases of plagiarism and s**tposting, use this thread to report: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1926895.0

It has worked for banning a spammer just today. Takes some work, but deserves it.

Also agree with most of the answers given in here (except the KYC), a newbies-jail and to need some merit to become junior, as well as don`t being afraid to use the report to mod button.
Karisma Black

Activity: 228
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 03:37:23 PM

Just don't give them access to the altcoins forum, that will clean up a bit.
Or maybe add a "ignore newbies" function in settings.

FiiiCoin     |    Decrypting Cryptocurrencies
https://fiii.io/
[           PRIVATE SALE STARTED!           ]
RealDealEverts

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 04:24:41 PM

I'm also New here, but definitely not new to the cryptocurrency arena. The shit post you talk about, we all see them and sometimes wonder  if google ceased to work, or what it might cost to do a simple research, On that, i agree with you fully. My concern however is it appears like you are having a problem with newbies asking questions, i mean, this forum is reach of experience and knowledge,  you can literally find anything crypto related by browsing through the relevant sections, the explanation about Crypto related phenomena is so deep and detailed here that no search engine can match. What then is the problem of seeking this information through questions?

Some of those posts you call shit post might just be as legit as the poster could get. I'm currently researching for a crypto aligned blog and this forum has contributed half the information. I therefore see no wrong doing in asking,  The thing is that sometimes the answer to the question asked is already availed making the question a mare repetition.
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 03:50:42 AM

Agree with a lot that has been said. Obviously the introduction of the merit system has increased the amount of effort and 'work' required to increase in rank (rank, by the way, is only important to those who want to access higher bounty rewards, who are also the poster most likely to spam - go figure).

I actually think to reduce spam, and newbie accounts buying merit, you need to look at those who were around before the merit system. There are heaps of spammy accounts at the full member and senior member rank who offer far less to threads than the new posters with 10-40 odd merit (which they received from their posts).

How can you tell which ones are spam accounts? Good start is that they have exactly 100 merit, or exactly 250 merit, and have received nothing since the merit system was introduced. Also that most of their posts are 75 characters or whatever the limit is for a bounty post.

So you could have merit or rank as a changeable thing. Or have moderators with more scope to downgrade obvious spammy accounts, with a warning first then a downgrade (since the reason they are spamming is for bounties). This way you encourage meaningful contributions at all ranks, hopefully reducing spam and with newbie accounts seeing what the new 'norm' is on this forum in terms of quality posting.
Markettoken

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 03:33:18 PM

thank you  with the information you have explained will really help me in carrying out the task in this bitcoin forum without you what I mean that just as a beginner
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 04:31:39 PM

How can you tell which ones are spam accounts? Good start is that they have exactly 100 merit, or exactly 250 merit, and have received nothing since the merit system was introduced. Also that most of their posts are 75 characters or whatever the limit is for a bounty post.

So you could have merit or rank as a changeable thing. Or have moderators with more scope to downgrade obvious spammy accounts, with a warning first then a downgrade (since the reason they are spamming is for bounties). This way you encourage meaningful contributions at all ranks, hopefully reducing spam and with newbie accounts seeing what the new 'norm' is on this forum in terms of quality posting.
Although, this is generally a good indicator it's not 100% accurate. Some members might of contributed with great posts, but since the forum is having a much higher signal to noise ratio they may have stopped. The thing is if they are spam accounts moderators can already do something about it without downgrading their ranks. They can simply delete their posts or ban them if they are particularly bad.

There's a reason why theymos rewarded old members with a base merit, because if they've been here for a few years they have likely contributed something to the forum in terms of posting. Plus, any bad poster before, and after the introduction of merit will not get any more, and won't rank up further. Rank means nothing unless it's for signature/bounty campaigns, and quite frankly if the manager is doing their job correctly then they won't accept someone who is still at their base rewarded merits.

Old accounts with merit aren't an issue in my opinion, and certainly aren't a priority. Also, adding a way to downgrade accounts isn't a very good idea. Even if someone is posting garbage posts without breaking any rules, if they've earned that merit then they've likely made good posts in the past. There's perfect legitimate reasons for the decline of post quality too one example would be lack of time due to work commitments etc.

Word/character count is also irrelevant, and I kind of wish campaigns would just scrap this.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: