Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:28:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it easier to earn Merit without a signature?  (Read 507 times)
matthewoz101 (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 06:55:14 PM

I've been stuck on here trying to earn some merit. I made a helpful post here a couple weeks ago: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3949893.0 Or at least it was helpful according to the comments.

I used to make really helpful posts often. I've been doing a signature bounty for the past couple of months. Would this stop members from sending me merit? Also, what's the incentive once members do get merit to make good posts? I've seen so many 1000+ merit accounts make such useful posts with their signature bounties.

My signature bounty ends in 2 days. I'll remove my signature and see if that makes a difference.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 10731

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2018, 07:27:28 PM
Merited by khaled0111 (1)

<...>
The signature per se should not affect chances of getting merit. Most merited members bear a signature with no issue whatsoever. Participating actively in social media campaigns that require heavy reporting and/or spamming on the forum will affect chances, as often merit is given to a post after contrasting the posters posting history. Nevertheless, that is not your case.

It’s the post’s content and placement that matters most. Some sections are way more merited than others and sub-ecosystems do exist around the forum.

I’ve looked briefly through your posting history and found nothing wrong with it. I believe that you’ve even diversified posting in multiple sections (you were more concentrated on altcoins before) after asking in Meta a month ago.

You can study forum merit stats in case they come in handy here: BitcoinTalk Merit Dashboard .
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 07:31:19 PM

<...>
The signature per se should not affect chances of getting merit. Most merited members bear a signature with no issue whatsoever. Participating actively in social media campaigns that require heavy reporting and/or spamming on the forum will affect chances, as often merit is given to a post after contrasting the posters posting history. Nevertheless, that is not your case.

It’s the post’s content and placement that matters most. Some sections are way more merited than others and sub-ecosystems do exist around the forum.

I’ve looked briefly through your posting history and found nothing wrong with it. I believe that you’ve even diversified posting in multiple sections (you were more concentrated on altcoins before) after asking in Meta a month ago.

You can study forum merit stats in case they come in handy here: BitcoinTalk Merit Dashboard .

I appreciate the helpful comment. I saw a post awhile ago about someone talking about how participating in a signature bounty lowers the chances of earning merit because it shows that the user wants to do bounties, rather than providing value to the forum or something like that.

DdmrDdmr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2018, 07:44:55 PM

<...>
A signature is a kind of passive feature that does not presume anything bad in my opinion, as long as your posts are aimed at contributing to the forum, and not at quick responses to cover the signature campaign posting requirements. If the posts are ok, then the signature does not conform an issue.

Social bounties on the other hand very often clog one’s posting history, standing out, and tend to define a profile as you say of a non-contributive forum member. Those I believe should probably avoided if possible.
SuperD007

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

Treat People How You Would Like To Be Treated.

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 07:45:47 PM

I also don't think a sig campaign would have an impact on ur merit points.

I too have been battling to rack up merits. As you can see from my post count / activity I'm well above the quota for full members status but I'm lacking on the merit points. I've also posted comments and threads that I think were fairly helpful but I think the problem is that because the merit system is still in its infancy, most people still need to get used to the idea of actually giving out merits. Also their is a limited number of sMertis that each person gets, sMertis are sendable merits. Like I would have gladly drop you a few merits but I don't have any sendable (sMertis) available to me...lol
boyptc

Activity: 2982
Merit: 677

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 07:47:33 PM

I appreciate the helpful comment. I saw a post awhile ago about someone talking about how participating in a signature bounty lowers the chances of earning merit because it shows that the user wants to do bounties, rather than providing value to the forum or something like that.
There's no connection about merit and bounties/signatures. If the post you're doing is valuable and it helped others then you deserved to get merit. With your post on altcoin discussion, mostly people in the forum doesn't have interest on it so only few or most are the new people that came in are only looking to that post. There are threads that are helping other members to rank up.

Look at this thread --> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2727673.0 they are under the "giveaways".

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 08:01:41 PM

I also don't think a sig campaign would have an impact on ur merit points.

I too have been battling to rack up merits. As you can see from my post count / activity I'm well above the quota for full members status but I'm lacking on the merit points. I've also posted comments and threads that I think were fairly helpful but I think the problem is that because the merit system is still in its infancy, most people still need to get used to the idea of actually giving out merits. Also their is a limited number of sMertis that each person gets, sMertis are sendable merits. Like I would have gladly drop you a few merits but I don't have any sendable (sMertis) available to me...lol

I agree with that for sure! I've had merited members comment saying that my posts were helpful, but don't send merit. I don't really understand how sMerits work exactly, well I kinda do, but you're right. There have been a couple times when I really see posts that deserve merit, but I don't have any to send.
jmiro1

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 08:09:01 PM

Nope, the signature shouldn't affect the chance of getting merit as long as the signature is not irritating for the eye or vision. Look at me for example, I don't have a signature and I never tried to have one. Still I'm stuck without merits (or a very few merits to be precise). But I'm not giving up or anything, I know the merits will come to me pretty soon.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 08:39:51 PM

I'm here for quite some time and I was without signature for a few months, didn't see any difference in the amount of merit I got and I have received more than 200 till now Wink

Some people are paying attention to your signatures just to figure out what type of person you are or at least what are you here for.

I personally support only Bitcoin and trying to popularize it, I have one or two Altcoins I like / because of anonymity and security/ but my signature is only for Bitcoin and  Bitcoin related services.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 09:31:54 PM

I don't give merits to members of signature campaigns for exactly that reason. I know that there are at least a few other people that also do not give merits to members of signature campaigns, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes overall.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
cryptothief

Activity: 350
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2018, 09:56:08 PM

I think it definitely has an effect, some of the more senior members have stated that they don't merit posters with a signature. Not sure why really, especially when some of them have signatures themselves (although plenty practice what they preach and don't have signatures - campaign ones anyway). Theoretically if you are posting quality posts, you'll still be earning merits, just be aware that you are possibly limiting your 'merit earning' potential. Personally I have a signature as it is a way of earning some passive money while I'm scrolling around and writing posts here and there, but thinking about dropping it after this campaign and concentrating on just doing one or two quality posts a week. That way I have more time to spend researching and coming up with some original posts. All depends on what you're here for really. I'm not overly fussed about ranking up, but would like to move up over time, more of a pride thing I guess.

BITSONG  ▌ THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED MUSIC STREAMING PLATFORM
▅ ▉ ▇ ▃ ▅   THE NEW MUSIC STREAMING ERA   ▅ ▃ ▇ ▉ ▅   PUBLIC SALE is LIVE
[ Telegram ➭ ChannelGroup ]   Whitepaper   Facebook   Twitter   Github   Medium   ANN
aminurrahaman

Activity: 87

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 09:57:36 PM

<...>

Hi DdmrDdmr,
Can you tell me that which sections are more merited than others??

Thanks in advance.
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 10:49:05 PM

<...>

Hi DdmrDdmr,

Thanks in advance.

It looks like the ANN, trading, and META receive the most merit according to the website. Try those
matthewoz101 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 10:50:18 PM

I don't give merits to members of signature campaigns for exactly that reason. I know that there are at least a few other people that also do not give merits to members of signature campaigns, but I don't know how much of a difference it makes overall.

Thanks for the reponse. I knew some people don't. Not sure why some people said that it can't make a difference when it does for some.
Iotjava

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 12:17:06 AM

I think it does not matter, it depends on the quality of the post , the person that decides to give you merit it would not be concerned about your signature at all, at least me personally would not do something like that
Natural Perm

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 12:21:56 AM

Having a signature won't stop you from getting more merits. Merits are usually earned if your post is reliable and helpful. If the other users thought that your post is quite helpful then they will send you some merits if they have sMerits. sMerits are the merits a user can give to other members who have good quality posts.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3594

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 02:25:26 AM

There is no direct relationship between them; merits are a reflection of good posts not wear the signature "This means there will be no change if you maintain the same level of your posts."
However, if you are an average post/topic and do not wear a signature, I will give you merit and vice versa.
Merits like fish, you need patience and care to collect them but do not concentrate on raising them.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
CottonGuy

Activity: 185
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 03:36:10 AM

I guess it really doesn't matter at all because merits are based on your posts. If you were able to contribute a very helpful quality posts in this forum and someone finds it deserving to get merits then you will certainly get one. It really depends on the people reading your posts.
In my own opinion, the best way to earn merits is not to expect or focus on the merit itself. Being genuine in helping out to this forum is the main key for you to get merits. No need to rush things just to rank up with all shitty posts. It would be so self satisfying and fulfilling seeing someone agreeing to my posts through a merit which I really made effort of than posting shitty posts and asking merits to someone just to rank up. We should start by developing our way of thinking and the way we do post in this forum for us to evolve in a way where we can contribute not only to the forum but to the soon to be new crypto enthusiasts that needs our assistance when it comes to crypto knowledge and technicalities.
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 2170

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 03:52:58 AM

There is no directly connect merit with signature campaign. But I think indirectly connected. Because every bounty has a condition like you have to post minimum 15 per week. This is the main reasones for spam on forum. In case some one visit your profile he will see spam and he will not give you merit.

So my suggest make some constructive and useful post to earn merit. There is no any shortcut way to earn merit.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2018, 06:10:25 AM

<...>
If we filter the dashboard on the section/subsection tab by the month of May (so as to get a close reference and not a cumulative one), it would be altcoin Ann, Russian, meta, marketplace, economics, and altcoin discussion in this order.

Some of the above have their own ecosystems. Altcoin Ann for example awards often the OPs who create the Ann and these back to some of the contributions to their threads.

Regardless, it’s not a matter of which are the most awarded sections, but finding how to contribute to them through your posts and create well versed opinions or information based content. Visibility also needs to be pondered (I don’t mean posting arts, but where you post. I.e. mega threads are likely to be not read by many since they tend to be spam threads - Wall Observer is an exception for those in that ecosystem).
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: