Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:49:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins kept in exchange, are they safe?  (Read 5645 times)
mickeybuddy27

Activity: 429
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 03:24:24 AM

I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.

Exchanges can be hacked, can make mistakes that cost you money, or can steal your money. It has happened with MtGox and Cryptsy and probably others.

Another problem is that when something happens and you lose money, there is no one that will look out for the customer. Once it’s gone, you won’t get it back.

This is why you should only keep coins on an exchange if you are planning to trade them. And this should not be a long term situation.
I think the exchange that has authenticator cannot be hacked that easy but not. There are some that cannot work and someone can send some token in it without the permission of the account owner. It would be safe to put the token on the wallet when it cannot be traded that time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deeofficialx

Activity: 462
Merit: 113

Need me? PM me!

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 03:41:27 AM

For a wallet hacker (wallet phishing), yes, you maybe safe. But if DDoS attack happened and a site brought down, some or maybe all of the assets inside that particular exchange will probably be gone. Hardware wallet is best, for me, and only best wallet to hold your asset.
Abu Shadow

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 03:50:07 AM

I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.
Keeping your coins at exchanges is not a good idea as many had been reported of hacked exchanges due to DDOS attacked. If you don't have plan to do trade or sell your token it's better to let it on your wallet and secure the private key. This can minimize the risk of losing your funds.

b e t f o r m ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ SMART CONTRACT POWERED SOCIAL BETTING PLATFORM
                               APP DOWNLOAD ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Google Play   App Store   [ WEB VERSION ]                                ❱❱❱ JOIN betform ❰❰❰
    FOLLOW US ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ◾ WHITEPAPERTELEGRAMFACEBOOKTWITTER
Indrawan77

Activity: 1274
Merit: 516

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 03:57:38 AM

It definitely is not a good idea to keep your coin in exchanges, the security in exchanges is not as strong as in the wallet, its better to keep your coin in wallets, you can spread your coin into different wallet, recently there is case where the exchanges being hacked and people losing money, wallet is design to keep your money with multi layers security, exchanges ia design to trade not to keep your money so the security is still lose with the wallet security
marcbitcoins

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:02:42 AM

There are lot of famous exchanges that have been hacked like Etherdelta, Coinrail, Coincheck and also even the most famous ERC20 compliance wallet like myetherwallet in which not a exchanges but known for safety features are also was hacked. Therefore all are vulnerable from the attacks if they did not taking care of their defense so the most recommended way of keeping your coins is not on exchanges and not on online wallets but in offline hardware wallet like Nano Ledger which is although much expensive but it has a maximun protections.
Nolimitz84

Activity: 980
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:14:43 AM

I would not advise you to keep the coins on the stock exchange.Too risky.Very often hacked and steal money from the exchanges.None of my friends recommend it and does not store funds on the exchange.

████████     
               ████            ███████████     
          ███████            ████   █████   
       █████████                    █████   
      ██████████                    ████     
    ███████████                    ████     
   ████████████                  ████       
   ████████████         █       █████  ████   
  ████████████         ██      ███████████   
  ████████████         ████                   
 ████████████        ██████                 
  ███████████        ███████                 
  ██████████                                 
   █████████                                 
   ████████                                 
    ███████                                 
     ██████         ███████████             
       █████         █████████                 
        ███         ███████                   
                   █████                     
PROJECT'S ACCELERATOR
&
INVESTMENT PLATFORM

████████     
               ████            ███████████     
          ███████            ████   █████   
       █████████                    █████   
      ██████████                    ████     
    ███████████                    ████     
   ████████████                  ████       
   ████████████         █       █████  ████   
  ████████████         ██      ███████████   
  ████████████         ████                   
 ████████████        ██████                 
  ███████████        ███████                 
  ██████████                                 
   █████████                                 
   ████████                                 
    ███████                                 
     ██████         ███████████             
       █████         █████████                 
        ███         ███████                   
                   █████                     
Irvinn

Activity: 966
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:16:03 AM

On the contrary, it is often warned that whenever possible, one should not store our coins and tokens on stock exchanges and exchangers. It is there that such storage is much more dangerous than in our wallets. Therefore, some even before they go to exchanges and exchangers place tokens in the interim new MyEtherWallet purse, since if the private key from the purse is lit up, that in this purse nothing is subsequently stored.
This is also evidenced by the recent cracking of several private wallets on the little-known exchanger Coinrail in South Korea, where four types of tokens were stolen for a total of more than $ 40 million. Therefore, our coins and tokens should be stored in purses, while preserving the necessary precautions.
jlanzago

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

Cryptomooniac - to the moon and beyond...

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2018, 04:35:15 AM

You need to learn that your funds reside in an address, in the blockchain. The only way to access those funds is by signing transactions using your private key. So if you are careful and manage your private key offline (never store it online, never enter it into websites for "aidrops" or other phishing attacks), you will be fine.

If you store funds in the exchange, you don't have the private key. The exchange has it, so the exchange has your funds. Not you. Your funds are in an address controlled by them, not by you. It is their address, not your address (just tied to your name). 

Exchanges are unregulated, they are not banks, they can be hacked, and they are hacked despite all the security measures they take. They could even disappear overnight.

Keeping your funds in an exchange, in a wallet you do not control because you don't have your keys, is very risky, is also irresponsible.

ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:38:09 AM

Lol what no that is the worst thing you can do. If you can't learn how to protect a wallet from hackers then this may sound harsh but maybe you shouldn't be in crypto. Leaving your assets on an exchange is a 100% no no.

Nerman

Activity: 364
Merit: 107

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:39:25 AM

No it is not safe. Just check how many exchanges have been hacked. To minimize risk send it back to your wallet or if you are lazy at least do not keep a lot of money on the exchange. Make sure that you have 2FA and also mix up your password. Make sure that your email password and exchange password is different, why? because once they have an access to your email it is now only your coins at risk. Almost all including banks are sending OTP via email.
apilpirman.bisnis

Activity: 504
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 04:40:49 AM

Coin have list and kept on many great exchange is not will be safe can be potentitial altcoin for the future, many altcoin have listed on maret but was scam. We have seen many altcoin have scam although have listed on greatest market but their token have delet form listed on market. it not be way to take altcoin will have great price for future although have listed on market and have highest price, you have sell if price have highest than you buy.
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2018, 04:48:23 AM

I don't think coins kept in exchange actually minimize the risk of loss because many exchanges these day are easily hacked. Just of recent a korean exchange Coinrail was hacked and many people lost their coins in that hack which is what affecting the market now. To me the best place to keep your coins is keep it in a highly protected wallet. For example Nano ledger wallet.

HOMT