Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:22:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How centralized is EOS?  (Read 243 times)
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 09:13:44 AM

https://steemit.com/eosio/@eos42/eos42-statement-on-block-producer-decision-to-freeze-7-eos-accounts

and there's more.

i guess we shouldn't be getting worked up about this as not everything wants, or should, adhere to the principles of crypto, but then again there's little to no point in bothering with any of them if you become just another database. in this case it's a multi billion dollar database.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1439

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:08:18 AM

@European Central Bank. I would not criticize them if they announce that they are a centralized platform. I reckon the code is law idea was not a good one in any case. In law, the recourse of human intervention as a choice should always be open.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 08:03:30 AM
Merited by European Central Bank (3)

@European Central Bank. I would not criticize them if they announce that they are a centralized platform. I reckon the code is law idea was not a good one in any case. In law, the recourse of human intervention as a choice should always be open.

EOS is not marketed as a centralized platform. And that they are marketed as a blockchain solution implies some things, which might not, as we suspect, be true.

Such as immutability or censorship resistance. I think pretty much everyone has boundaries, like a barrier that says "I don't want people to use this technology for this". In fact, I think I have quite a lot of them, including almost every illegal activity (darknet stuff and such). Do I think this makes it right to ban/censor/prevent certain transactions? It's difficult. Looking at specific cases, I'm inclined to say yes. Looking at the repercussions of those actions over the whole system, my answer is "definitely not".

I'm looking at the Steemit post above and I think "Someone's going to be really happy that they'll get their money back. Good for them!"

On the other hand, there's a comment in the comment section of a poor guy who bought one of the locked accounts. Yes, he probably shouldn't have. But you know, someone before him probably shouldn't have entered their private key in some phishing site.

Finding justice in a juristical system is a tedious and complicated process. We are kidding ourselves when we think, some block producers are able to make such complicated decisions. ANd while you might say "they are only freezing the funds, they are not the ones making the ultimate call", their actions have real world impact, as can be seen in the comment above.

Accounts are complex things. What if part of the account's activity is legitimate? Like, a hacker sends his funds to an exchange. the block producers realize it too late, ask the exchange to freeze the tokens, but the exchange decides not to comply. Would it be ok for the block producers to freeze the exchanges wallet, affecting hundreds, if not thousands of uninvolved people to force them to comply?

This is very, very difficult legal territory, and saying "the code is law" where it is applicable, is actually a stroke of genius. Because, really, it's more like "the code is the laws of physics" for that system. To change them would mean to risk the integrity of the whole system.

Plus, there is governance. Ethereum forked. Bitcoin integrated segwit. I think building any type of governance structure into the blockchain itself is wrong. You want governance to be as slow and clunky as possible, because you only want to change things when you really, really have to.

In general, believing that you could replace laws by code is foolish. But when it comes down to certain cases, like "who has how much money", you shouldn't count on large groups of people. What if they decide that maybe for their taste, you have a bit too much money?

Sorry for my rambling, I hope it was somewhat understandable what I am trying to say.
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 12:22:37 PM

Finding justice in a juristical system is a tedious and complicated process. We are kidding ourselves when we think, some block producers are able to make such complicated decisions. ANd while you might say "they are only freezing the funds, they are not the ones making the ultimate call", their actions have real world impact, as can be seen in the comment above.

this is a great post.

soon enough the people who try to adjudicate this stuff will realise all they do is create more turmoil and uncertainty. it's a slippery slope and one that sends you sliding faster and faster.

bitcoin refusing to do squat when you yourself screw up seems brutal, but it's also totally pragmatic. the alternative is just too messy. 

either be decentralised or be centralised. if you try to faff around in the middle you're gonna come unstuck and soon.
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 05:19:38 PM

https://twitter.com/ferdousbhai/status/1010206359688753154

more good stuff here. this time around people aren't even being told why they've been ordered to block transactions.
RakknRoll

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 08:00:19 PM

I think once the centralization occurs the EOS, helps the people, investment and the currency in one field wherein the convenience and excellence in process will be easier and more convenient than before.
ttookk

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 08:26:27 PM

I think once the centralization occurs the EOS, helps the people, investment and the currency in one field wherein the convenience and excellence in process will be easier and more convenient than before.

What?

Guys, where are you coming from? This is literally like you looked at blockchain technology and thought "wouldn't this be way easier if we had only a handfull of servers?"

Right now, you could actually use a Google spreadsheet with writing permissions for 21 people and have two backups at AWS and Alibaba, because, guess what? At least 18 of the 21 BPs use either Google services, AWS or Alibaba.

Remember how blockchain was supposed to get us away from companies like that? Yeah, I guess not.

This EOS shitshow makes me seriously mad. Go play your little make-believe games somewhere else.
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:44:48 PM

This EOS shitshow makes me seriously mad. Go play your little make-believe games somewhere else.

you're responding to a probable bot.

EOS is the biggest joke this bubble has spat out and in the years to come it's going to be regarded as a peak of the madness.

EOS is going to hang itself. no point in getting worked up about it as long as you didn't fall for it.

Ritaaa

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:46:44 PM

Decision making is one of the most important ones and what's important is who's in control.

EOS is decentralized through voting. top 21 of thousands of block producers form a temporary panel. Any action they do can be undone via voting other block producers in. (at which time fired block producers loses income for up to rest of time - enormous opportunity cost)

This is why everything like protocol changes, freezing of accounts, and so on has time delays like 30 days to give voters time to react:
Rox123

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:48:08 PM

Like many things, the discussion is entirely subjective.

If you compare EOS to a large scale meshnet, it's centralized. If you compare it to a system which relies on a single organization, it's decentralized.

The better question is whether or not the current level of (de)centralization is sufficient to accomplish the goals of a particular project. Not everything needs to be distributed across a ridiculous number of nodes. I think that the biggest argument from the "it's centralized" camp comes from the fact that the vast majority seem to think of cryptocurrency as just that, a replacement for centralized currency systems. What is best for something designed to be a currency is not going to be what is best for a utility token focusing on a different use case.
consideritdone

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:51:46 PM

find it strange how eos was priced so high even before launch https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/eos/usd
now after launch the price struggle
zebrabounties

Activity: 47

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:56:06 PM

you can find their sources in the github it is open-source,so if you get anything from the codes you will understand what are they doing and waiting for
ttookk

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 10:05:23 PM

Decision making is one of the most important ones and what's important is who's in control.

EOS is decentralized through voting. top 21 of thousands of block producers form a temporary panel. Any action they do can be undone via voting other block producers in. (at which time fired block producers loses income for up to rest of time - enormous opportunity cost)

This is why everything like protocol changes, freezing of accounts, and so on has time delays like 30 days to give voters time to react:

This is the theory. In practice, this doesn't work. Go take a look at what happened with Lisk. Right now, you have two groups voting for each other, dictating who gets to be a delegate. All the smaller accounts vote for them as well, because they want to get a piece of the pie (most delegates are pools, another huge problem).

What makes it even worse is that the only instances getting more EOS without paying insane amounts for it are the BPs (and maybe the guys who voted for them), who obviously use it to secure their positions as BPs.

Combine that with the overall apathy in systems like that and you have something which might be even worse than a centralized service: a political structure in all its glory, with built-in bribing features.
European Central Bank
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 12:38:00 AM

and the top wallets can totally, absolutely dominate any vote.

i know many of them are exchanges holding user funds, but that doesn't stop the exchange having their votes. and i think it's safe to say that beyond exchanges there are enough EOS insiders who've retained enough power to stop anything they don't like the look of.
gosiloer

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 03:49:20 AM

There's still a lot of room for eos to go up, and I think it could reach $100, because eos has a very concentrated distribution of tokens and a lot of money.

wavessurfing

Activity: 369
Merit: 41

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 01:28:24 AM

There's still a lot of room for eos to go up, and I think it could reach $100, because eos has a very concentrated distribution of tokens and a lot of money.

but eos is 2.42 usd
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: