Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:16:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google wallet.. good for bitcoin?  (Read 3154 times)
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 10:30:46 AM

http://www.google.com/wallet/
So Google wallet is finally launching. Obviously it's still linked to flawed currencies and banking systems, but it could be a push for online and mobile payments, allowing other options like Bitcoin to ride the wave.

What do you think? Are there any projects to implement Bitcoin on Google wallet? how about exchanges from bitcoin to Google's "prepaid" card?

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 10:57:45 AM

You do realize that Google Wallet is a huge data mining operation, don't you?
That completely defeats the purpose of Bitcoin.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 11:11:26 AM

NFC is good for Bitcoin Wink

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 11:20:17 AM

Google Wallet is good I'd say as it increases the trust in technologies like NFC and electronic payments over the counter. But since it relies on traditional currencies and is completely centralized it leaves room for Bitcoin to evolve. I just hope not too many people will abandon Bitcoin in favor of Google Wallet.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 11:27:11 AM

Only one aspect of it. If there were a bank that both accepted bitcoin deposits and issued a credit card compatible with Google wallet, it would help bootstrap bitcoin usage.

Perhaps if merchants kept seeing Bitcoin Bank on their statements, they might learn that accepting bitcoin directly has advantages.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 11:38:21 AM

I wouldn't be here if I only cared about mobile payments.
mikethebodacious

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 12:23:17 PM

I just hope not too many people will abandon Bitcoin in favor of Google Wallet.

Surely you jest.  The purpose of Bitcoin is decentralization, where as Google Wallet is about centralization and tracking online transactions.  Anyone who has read Bilderberg's agenda for 2011/2012 has seen the push towards a cashless society and monitoring people through the internet.

nefanon

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 07:04:26 PM

Bitcoin -> Huh -> Google Wallet -> Profit!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 07:45:12 PM

Google is creating a wallet and payment service, not a currency. Thus their Wallet and Bitcoin are not mutually exclusive, and I'd expect the Google Wallet to support Bitcoin at some point.

Bitcoin and Facebook Credits are at odds.
Bitcoin and Google Wallet are not at odds. 

(A keen observer may realize that this gives Google incentive to adopt/support Bitcoin in some manner, in order to undermine FB, for they are now in direct competition with each other since Google Plus launched).
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 07:51:13 PM

(A keen observer may realize that this gives Google incentive to adopt/support Bitcoin in some manner, in order to undermine FB...).

They will also develop an app for the Apple AppStore to use your Google Wallet on iOS devices.  And when Apple denies it, because it competes with Apple's digital wallet, Google will sue them again, just like they did when Apple denied Google Voice.

And then the Apple AppStore will be open for bitcoin wallets Smiley

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 10:10:21 PM

Google is creating a wallet and payment service, not a currency. Thus their Wallet and Bitcoin are not mutually exclusive, and I'd expect the Google Wallet to support Bitcoin at some point.

Bitcoin and Facebook Credits are at odds.
Bitcoin and Google Wallet are not at odds. 

(A keen observer may realize that this gives Google incentive to adopt/support Bitcoin in some manner, in order to undermine FB, for they are now in direct competition with each other since Google Plus launched).

Anything with the Mastercard logo on it means it's deeply tied to the current banking system mess. The Banks will pay big money to silence alternative currencies. They do print that money afterall.

Remember, currently Mastercard controls all the POS systems that accept Google Wallet. Google doesn't even get a say in the matter due to their subordinate position. Their logo doesn't even appear anywhere on the sales terminal.
saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 10:17:28 PM

this is the enemy:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsaJMhcLm_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slick mofo-model zombies paying their anti-depressant, taxi and overpriced clothes
willingly giving premium and data to google citi and mastercard
mikethebodacious

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 12:16:20 AM

this is the enemy:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsaJMhcLm_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slick mofo-model zombies paying their anti-depressant, taxi and overpriced clothes
willingly giving premium and data to google citi and mastercard

Rob and John are total toolbags.  I think people need to understand that anytime they want more convenience they have to give up some of their privacy/liberties.  At some point you need to say enough is enough, I don't need more convenience at the expense of my every move and purchase being tracked, logged, and sold to corporations to develop their advertising focus.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 12:41:32 AM

I don't need more convenience at the expense of my every move and purchase being tracked, logged, and sold to corporations to develop their advertising focus.

Just wait until you see what they are doing next ...
 Movenbank - Banking w/ their KYC based on mandatory Twitter, Facebook and Mobile w/ NFC
 - http://www.banking4tomorrow.com/2011/09/the-reboot-of-banking-now-the-work-starts

SynerScope - Link your bank transactions with every other transaction about you.
  "Connecting the dots" with web traffic, payment transactions, mobile call records, IRC logs, etc.
 - http://synerscope.com/products

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mikethebodacious

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 12:51:16 AM

I don't need more convenience at the expense of my every move and purchase being tracked, logged, and sold to corporations to develop their advertising focus.

Just wait until you see what they are doing next ...
 Movenbank - Banking w/ their KYC based on mandatory Twitter, Facebook and Mobile w/ NFC
 - http://www.banking4tomorrow.com/2011/09/the-reboot-of-banking-now-the-work-starts

SynerScope - Link your bank transactions with every other transaction about you.
  "Connecting the dots" with web traffic, payment transactions, mobile call records, IRC logs, etc.
 - http://synerscope.com/products

Thanks for the interesting links, bank4tomorrow is total NWO banking cartel bullshit.  This cashless society is being forced on us more and more now.  Have you also noticed that more and more blogs are using mandatory Facebook login so you can't even anonymously post comments on articles?  The corporations and government want to track our every move, the Bilderberg agenda is coming to fruition starting with Facebook and Google.  I hope Anon takes them down with #RefRef.....  Also this cashless society is being rammed through more quickly, but I don't think it will be that well accepted before the next global monetary reset when they want to force it on people.

phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 04:32:39 AM

So far it only works with 1 phone, 1 credit card (plus the fillable Google card) and only at the newest NFC readers in select locations.  Until Google can put updated NFC readers in every single spot there is a regular magnetic CC reader, and until they get all the credit/debit cards added to the app, it is just a dream.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 04:31:39 PM

So far it only works with 1 phone, 1 credit card (plus the fillable Google card) and only at the newest NFC readers in select locations.  Until Google can put updated NFC readers in every single spot there is a regular magnetic CC reader, and until they get all the credit/debit cards added to the app, it is just a dream.

Sprint Adds Google Wallet Into New NFC Capable Phones
http://www.darknet.org.uk/2012/01/sprint-adds-google-wallet-into-new-nfc-capable-phones/

"Google pushes its’ mobile payment solution ‘Wallet’ onto two new NFC capable phones – the Galaxy Nexus & LG Viper."
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 09:40:28 PM

Since I have tried both a bank payment app on an NFC-enabled phone and a QRcode-enabled bitcoin wallet, I would go with bitcoin + QR code on smart phones. The user experience is so much better.

The whole point of NFC is to use the phone, battery off, (when QR code cannot offer the same functionnality):  for public transportation applications or for small payments when the app does not require a personal code. The cost/benefit analysis for handset manufacturers is not in favor of NFC because simple QR code (or other optical codes) is sufficient in most cases.
I fail to see whats so great for bitcoin with NFC ?

smiles

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 10:33:21 PM

http://www.google.com/wallet/
So Google wallet is finally launching. Obviously it's still linked to flawed currencies and banking systems, but it could be a push for online and mobile payments, allowing other options like Bitcoin to ride the wave.

What do you think? Are there any projects to implement Bitcoin on Google wallet? how about exchanges from bitcoin to Google's "prepaid" card?

I suggest you immediately forward all your private keys to the NSA.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 06:35:01 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2012, 07:28:32 PM by Tuxavant

Working the Bit-Pay booth at CES this last week, Stephen talked with someone from [redacted] large retailer who just got done testing Google wallet in their lab.. They said they were not too excited about it costing $500 per POS for proprietary hardware and then a 5% transaction fee for the privilege of using it and still being stuck with the fraud and privacy issues.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: