Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:46:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [UPDATE] Help me build my 6 GPU rig! (~$3400 Budget)  (Read 1639 times)
Organik (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:29:05 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 05:30:12 PM by Organik

Hey Guys,

I've been a lurker in the community for quite a while but finally decided to register and get some pro advice. I've seen many a topic regarding rigs and I'm finally ready to build my own. My only concern is the ASIC's that are shipping probably by April of this year (more info). I'm wondering if I can build a rig that will be profitable for me and where I can get a relatively quick ROI (before the difficulty starts going up from the ASIC's). My plan is to build this rig, and mine with it at least until I get a ROI and maybe turn a profit, and then sell the rig to get a couple of the ASIC's. I'm seeking advice on this plan as well.

As far as the rig goes.. I'm really looking for suggestions. But here's the hardware I've chosen so far.

-----------

Case: Plastic crate probably.. Perhaps custom aluminum frame.
Mobo: ASRock H81 Pro BTC
Processor: Intel Celeron G1820
Memory: 8GB
Graphics Card: (Need suggestions!)
Power Supply: (Need suggestions!)
   Corsair CX750M
   > Mobo + 2 GFX Cards
   Thermaltake 1200w (TPG-1200M)
   > 4 GFX Cards
Operating System: BAMT or Windows 8.1

The graphics card itself (and quantity of them) I'll leave to you guys.. Can't decide between the 270x's or 280x's. I've also read up on these USB Risers and such but all that is new to me. Do I need these USB powered risers or no? What sort of risers will I need.. etc.

UPDATE 1/31/2014:
Created a newegg wish list
Link: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24976946

Thank you all for you help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:54:21 AM

6x 280x might fit within your budget, if you find a good enough deal. I'd highly recommend them, tho.

For 6 280x, each one pulls ~270W at stock, and as low as ~230W undervolted. Plus ~100W for the MB and rest of the rig. This means ~1700W, which is probably too much for one PSU. You could undervolt at get away with a single 1500W, but they're expensive.

For dual PSUs, you'd put 3 GPUs one one, and 3 GPUs + MB on the other. (270x3)=810W. (230x3)=690W. This means you could get away with a 850W and a 900W (at stock V), or a 700W and a 800W if you're  undervolting.

If you're using the H81 PRO BTC, you don't need powered risers. However, those USB risers are nice, with the flexible USB cable allowing greater creativity while mounting your GPUs. If you're using a standard aluminum tube open air rig, with the GPUs directly above the MB, just get the cheapest 12" unpowered risers you can.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:00:58 AM

Regarding PSUs, I suggest a Seasonic X 850W and an EVGA Supernova 1300w. Corsair seems to be dumping too many defective units, Thermaltake I have no idea but I've never seen this brand offering products with top performance.

Cards: ASUS usually does not compromise on quality, so I guess DirectCU II 270x or 280x could be a good choice.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Organik (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:43:06 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 06:54:15 AM by Organik

Ok, based on the suggestions so far.. I've put together a NewEgg wishlist. While I may not order everything from NewEgg, it serves as a good place to get everything together for fine tuning.

Link: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24976946

As it stands, it's over budget. I think we can get it lower (without compromising build quality, of course). The PSU's suggested are pretty pricey. Perhaps we can start there?

EDIT: There are a ton of reviews on this card saying that it's artifacting. Is this something to be concerned about regarding mining?

Thanks  Smiley
Organik (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

Sorry for the bump guys, I just need some more advice on this build. I know there are areas I can improve on and just need a couple more of the veterans to chime in.

Thanks.
kcobra

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:32:53 PM

The XFX 1050w PSU (rebadged Seasonic) is only $10 more (AR) than the 850w Seasonic. I'd spend the extra $10. I have had great luck with XFX rebadged Seasonic PSU's.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:04:13 PM

As it stands, it's over budget. I think we can get it lower (without compromising build quality, of course). The PSU's suggested are pretty pricey. Perhaps we can start there?
Oh, I see. The EVGA Supernova used to be affordable.

The XFX 1050w PSU (rebadged Seasonic) is only $10 more (AR) than the 850w Seasonic. I'd spend the extra $10. I have had great luck with XFX rebadged Seasonic PSU's.

Regarding the XFX being a rebadged Seasonic... not so fast. It is indeed a PSU based on Seasonic platform, that is for sure. What you should confirm is that is indeed made by Seasonic, not a Seasonic design with shitty components and made elsewhere.

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
scrototeabaggins

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:29:37 PM

Go for 280x's, its your best bet for maxing out that rig while staying under 3k.

Use this site to watch for any good price drops: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/pricedrop/

If you are vigilant you can find some for 360-390 from reputable sites/sellers (things like Microcenter/NCIX/Amazon etc.)
Organik (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:44:43 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 09:58:27 PM by Organik

I'll take the advice on pcpartpicker. Still going to try and order all the necessary parts within the next couple of days though. I'm also waiting on a call back from one of my corporate contacts at tigerdirect to see if they have any cards. Hopefully I can get a sweet deal that way.. but on tigerdirect.com it looks like the only 280x they have is this one.. (link). Not sure if it's a good one? Haven't seen the diamond name in years it seems.

EDIT: What do you guys think of this card vs the ASUS one. I can save ~$120 by going with it.
Organik (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:45:23 AM

Apologies for the bump. Sad
broken_pixel

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:39:17 AM

Get the NEX1500 it has many rails so you will not have to chain 2 PSUs together.

GA-990FXA-UD5, 1x 7970L, 2x S1, AX1200i, RIVBE, 2x R290x, NEX1500, BTC: 1G9cQix8bMgh35MQ9wY3Rb9yNSSCtnoRmK, DGC: DFo9FcKYsutv9Vx5c5xUzkrt7VJdECZWTM, LTC: LaAN33aktPGaimN5ALL9kjHjuJekfmKfTh
Organik (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:18:21 PM

Get the NEX1500 it has many rails so you will not have to chain 2 PSUs together.

A $450 PSU? I may have to go another route..
kcobra

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 06:48:39 PM

Oh, I see. The EVGA Supernova used to be affordable.

Regarding the XFX being a rebadged Seasonic... not so fast. It is indeed a PSU based on Seasonic platform, that is for sure. What you should confirm is that is indeed made by Seasonic, not a Seasonic design with shitty components and made elsewhere.

While I could not find a review of the XFX 1050w at jonnyGuru every XFX PSU there have reviewed has been excellent. I personally have been mining with XFX PSU's for years without a hiccup. Can not say the same for crap OCZ PSU's I made the mistake of buying in the past.
Organik (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:14:32 PM

kcobra, Would you be so kind as to tell me what PSU's you'd go with if you were building this rig? That would be great.
kcobra

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:53:52 PM

kcobra, Would you be so kind as to tell me what PSU's you'd go with if you were building this rig? That would be great.

Personally I'd go for an 850w XFX PSU to power the MB, risers and one or two of the 280x's. Then power the remaining 280x's with 12v server power supplies off ebay. You can get them for dirt cheap. I just picked up two 700w HP units for a total of $15 shipped. I will use one of these in my 270 x 6 build this week. A popular power supply is an HP 900w unit for ~$20 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=hp+1200w+power+supply&_sop=15

Main thing to worry about when choosing a server PSU is to make sure people have figured out how to turn them on. Radio controlled plane guys have been using 12v server power supplies for years, pulling major wattage from them.
Organik (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:18:59 PM

Personally I'd go for an 850w XFX PSU to power the MB, risers and one or two of the 280x's. Then power the remaining 280x's with 12v server power supplies off ebay. You can get them for dirt cheap. I just picked up two 700w HP units for a total of $15 shipped. I will use one of these in my 270 x 6 build this week. A popular power supply is an HP 900w unit for ~$20 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=hp+1200w+power+supply&_sop=15

Main thing to worry about when choosing a server PSU is to make sure people have figured out how to turn them on. Radio controlled plane guys have been using 12v server power supplies for years, pulling major wattage from them.

Sounds like a good deal. Are you absolutely sure those PSU's will be able to sufficiently supply power to this rig? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to protect the investment. I've never heard of anyone going the server PSU route from ebay. But if I can get anyone else to comment on that I might just do your exact recommendation.
Organik (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:28:49 PM

Guys, I think I've decided on these power supplies. Will this be overkill on wattage? Or just enough.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 80 PLUS GOLD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438010
CORSAIR Professional Series 1200w Gold AX1200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: