Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:35:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on proposing crypto's as an investment opportunity to my bosses.  (Read 753 times)
Cyrax89721 (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:23:59 AM

I've been diving deep into crypto's for the past few months and want to take it another step further.  I work for a couple of guys who are in the business of selling name brand products to large retailers, so investment opportunities and risk taking aren't completely out of their league.  We have a warehouse a mile away from my residence (they live out of town), and it's a place that offers static rent with all utilities, even electric, included.  These guys are in their late 40's and most things technology related are beyond them, so a techno-geek in his late 20's spouting off the details of what Bitcoin is & how it works probably isn't in my best interest.

Ideally what I want to happen is for them to invest as much as they're willing to risk to put towards building a mining rig with me taking 25% of the profits and I'd maintain the operations out of their warehouse (I'd also have my own mining rig in there dedicated to my profits.  Maybe give them 10% since they're paying rent for the place).

I'm looking for ideas on how I can successfully propose this idea to them without  them looking at me like I'm nuts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ty13rDerden

Activity: 157
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:46:19 AM

Bitcoin first! You'll complicate things and push buyers away by having too many options.

Pitch points:

Bitcoin isn't just money, it's the internet of money. Literally.

Scarcity ratio: 21million Bitcoin to 7billion people.

Cryptocurrencies will have forever changed money.

Saying Bitcoin is just a currency is like saying the internet is just for email.

Bitcoins is still in its prenatal state.

Buying into Bitcoin right now is like buying stock into Apple in the mid 80's. Except the internet exists now.

Bitcoin could completely eliminate the need for the financial sector.

Last year at this time a $15 investment would be worth nearly $950 on Mt.gox today (hold in laughter)
Cyrax89721 (OP)

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:49:43 PM

Thanks!  Exactly the kind of words I was looking for.
Eric14

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:02:55 PM

These guys are in their late 40's and most things technology related are beyond them, so a techno-geek in his late 20's spouting off the details of what Bitcoin is & how it works probably isn't in my best interest.

Ideally what I want to happen is for them to invest as much as they're willing to risk to put towards building a mining rig with me taking 25% of the profits and I'd maintain the operations out of their warehouse (I'd also have my own mining rig in there dedicated to my profits.  Maybe give them 10% since they're paying rent for the place).
Two things.  No one in their 40's knows technology in spite of the fact many grew up writing code in assembly on 8 bit processors with 16K of RAM?  Adjust your attitude or you won't get any respect if you don't give it.

Secondly, you're going to need to make it worth their while.  You want them to buy the equipment and then only give 25% plus you are going to run your own hardware and maybe give them 10%?  Meanwhile they are paying the rent and buying equipment for nothing?  If you want this to work, you should buy all the equipment, pitch in on rent, and promise them a larger share once the gear is paid off.  Otherwise your intentions to use them look pretty obvious.
Nova!

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:07:13 PM

These guys are in their late 40's and most things technology related are beyond them, so a techno-geek in his late 20's spouting off the details of what Bitcoin is & how it works probably isn't in my best interest.

Ideally what I want to happen is for them to invest as much as they're willing to risk to put towards building a mining rig with me taking 25% of the profits and I'd maintain the operations out of their warehouse (I'd also have my own mining rig in there dedicated to my profits.  Maybe give them 10% since they're paying rent for the place).
Two things.  No one in their 40's knows technology in spite of the fact many grew up writing code in assembly on 8 bit processors with 16K of RAM?  Adjust your attitude or you won't get any respect if you don't give it.

Secondly, you're going to need to make it worth their while.  You want them to buy the equipment and then only give 25% plus you are going to run your own hardware and maybe give them 10%?  Meanwhile they are paying the rent and buying equipment for nothing?  If you want this to work, you should buy all the equipment, pitch in on rent, and promise them a larger share once the gear is paid off.  Otherwise your intentions to use them look pretty obvious.

Uhh most of the people I know in their 40s who grew up doing that are here on this forum, or making bank doing something else, definetly not your MBA types.  Your average 40 year old is in fact clueless about tech and in the 1980s they were playing pong , pacman or super mario.  Not dinkin around with assembly on 16k of ram.
Remember, MOST people are not geeks.  MOST people were in the jock, stoner or other club and were busy sedating their brains while growing up so they could settle into their blue collar lifestyle.

Always remember, not everyone gets to be an Astronaut when they grow up be we will always need someone to flip burgers.

Donate @ 1LE4D5ERPZ4tumNoYe5GMeB5p9CZ1xKb4V
Eric14

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:49:01 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 06:11:44 PM by Eric14

Remember, MOST people are not geeks.  MOST people were in the jock, stoner or other club and were busy sedating their brains while growing up so they could settle into their blue collar lifestyle.
I'm not sure what your point is.  If you believe this then it doesn't matter what age people are, they are all technically clueless whether they play angry birds or pong.  My point is the OP has a superiority complex about technology based falsely on his youth that is probably not going to go over well with people he wants to press his ideas upon.

If he regurgitates Ty13rDerden's points, they are going to turn glossy eyed and dismiss him because the only one that isn't just PR fluff is the rate of return on $15.  If they are shrewd investors then they'll probably keep him talking about Bitcoin to extract what he knows about it.  Then they would think, why don't I just spend the money and buy it directly myself? And that would probably return more than buying a bunch of gear to mine at the current difficulty rates while letting the OP take 75% to 90% for himself.

They only way to pitch this is to show them the mining profits vs. investment vs time and give them a good rate of return that would beat just buying bitcoin themselves with their own money.  If you absorb some of the initial startup costs and pitch in with some real money towards their real costs (rent), then they might start to listen.
nivo

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:34:34 AM

I am going to laugh when you do not account for inflation in difficulty and BTC lower to 6.25BTC per block after you get your operation Wink especially with new machines that can do TH/s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: