Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:18:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [University Academic Survey] Why do people invest in ICOs?  (Read 271 times)
Makaay (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:51:17 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2018, 09:18:31 AM by Makaay

Why do people invest in ICOs? Which factors matter most? We (Trier University, GER and Erasmus University, NL) are currently conducting a survey to answer these questions (and more) in an empirical fashion. If you ever invested in an ICO, please help us by answering the following survey: https://www.unipark.de/uc/ICOs/ THANK YOU!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
actuealth

Activity: 63
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:17:08 AM

I noticed from your "0" activity count that you are an absolute brand-new noob on this forum. I will be filling up that survey after posting this response, but my suggestion to you is:

please edit the subject line to make it more representative of your serious, academic content.  At the moment it seems more like some post-farming type of content that not many people will click on to read.

Perhaps something like: Academic request for answers/ short academic survey for ICO investors

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your survey.  Smiley
actuealth

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:29:20 AM

Okay, so now I've completed your survey. Please mention in the subject heading that you are working at a University, and this is a bona fide academic survey.  Perhaps, something like this:

SUBJECT: [University Academic Survey] Request ICO Investors To Please Respond

Or some such wording. Smiley
Makaay (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:46:17 AM

Thank you very much for your quick responses and your helpful comments!
Intellectual Romanticist

Activity: 283
Merit: 23

TEU - bitcoin for shipping ICO: 15/Mar - 12/Apr

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 11:48:05 AM

There is no other reason except profit.
Everyone missed Bitcoin - including myself.
So they try their luck investing in what might be the next Bitcoin.
They look for ICOs, study them, do a little background checking and they decide if they want to invest.

Intellectual Romanticist
Intelligence Wisdom Courage Honor Integrity Consistency Strength Perseverance Romance
Abe Token | Ethereum Limited | Citereum | Bitcoin One | ExpressCoin
trolltalk

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:13:43 PM

Obviously to gained huge profit.
hijack88

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:34:08 PM

Obviously to gained huge profit.

It's interesting how many people really did it?
neo444

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 02:10:04 PM

People invest in ICOs to make a profit and change their financial status to better
LightningRevenant

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 02:13:19 PM

hope is everything,  Smiley
Herostorm

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 02:16:37 PM

Because ICO is profitable for them. They can get rich quick from ICO projects.
wvizmanos

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 02:30:42 PM

Those who have pretty good rule of thumb in ICO tend to double their investment in the shortest span of time. Also, this (participating in ICO) somehow brings smile to investors' faces everytime they think they own part of the company - as in pride of ownership. (but in reality they don't)
Vanhoang2000

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 03:44:58 PM

They want to make more money and want to make a profit from investing
HaniBaloch

Activity: 135

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:00:47 PM

because the main purpose of todays people is that to be rich as soon as possible and get more profits so that is why they invest.......
ico_researcher

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:11:01 PM

I think it HAS to be more than just profit... at least for some investors out there.
And if it really is singularily about profit, this is also an interesting finding! The study also asks whether the intention is to profit from selling at a higher price or things like dividends. This may be an interesting nuance when it comes to profits.

Anyway, this is why we need a large sample in the survey... let's hope that a lot of people participate.
aziie110

Activity: 81

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:15:53 PM

Peoples are investing in ICOs because they like their New Idea and technology and the main and reasonable purpose it to earn more and more profit to invest in ICOs your effort is good let's see how many complete the surveys
jumpinglikehorserafal

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:41:22 PM

I'm new here and after seeing all these posts with preICO I cannot understand why people invest in it. Every ICO looks the same for me and I have no idea why one is better than another. Can somebody explain that?
actuealth

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:22:56 AM

Hey guys, the OP is an University researcher who wants you to help him out by filling up his academic survey.

So, hopefully, you are doing exactly that, viz. completing his survey, even as you post on this thread to keep it alive.  Smiley
Kingsingle

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:35:37 AM

They still make a profit for us
ico_researcher

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:57:16 AM

I'm new here and after seeing all these posts with preICO I cannot understand why people invest in it. Every ICO looks the same for me and I have no idea why one is better than another. Can somebody explain that?

That's precisely what the survey tries to find out. The idea is, for example, that some people read white papers (which should not be the same for every ICO). Other people might be influenced by the general market sentiment, while others look at the venture team or its advisory board. If we find, however, that characteristics like the team and white paper do not matter in investment decisions (as you suggest), this would suggest that investors act irrationally and mean that good ventures cannot really differentiate themselves from bad ventures. That's very problematic from a business perspective and should discourage good ICOs from happening.

So, please fill out OP's survey if you have ever invested in ICOs (https://www.unipark.de/uc/ICOs/).

Thank you!
ololesia

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 07:59:37 AM

I think most of the people want to make a profit from the ICO, but some of them just want to support the project with a good idea
joeflicker

Activity: 142

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 11:37:30 PM

Beacouse investing to an ICO would give you a lot of profit if the project was success. But it is risky if the project was scammed you and your investment will gone.
Duda0726

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 01:59:58 AM

greed as it is
sikatina

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:17:29 AM

Investing in ICOs is profitable so many people invest in it, yielding more quickly
LouisFreeman

Activity: 32

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 01:30:25 PM

in order to get good profit.
ico_researcher

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 08:05:29 AM

As an update:
We are still looking for participants. If you have ever invested in an ICO, please help us by answering the following survey: https://www.unipark.de/uc/ICOs/ Your help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if we reach 500 participants or more, we will hold an Ethereum raffle in which we will distribute 0.5 ETH to a randomly chosen person.
JustinMoser

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 08:06:37 AM

because it is safe and profitable for investment.
AAKODI

Activity: 205
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 07:52:15 AM

Today Most people do that to earn huge profits within a short period of time

[ M O B U ] The Investment Bank of the Future
The Security Token Protocol and Licensed Security Token Exchange
https://mobu.io/
uramadahan

Activity: 65

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 08:29:24 AM

I think the answer is so simple. To make a profit and take the best seat before anyone else gets.
KATOK_BOLONG

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 11:55:21 AM

because they want to be profitable. the main purpose of people today is to get rich quickly.
Makaay (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 01:33:03 PM

We are currently still investigating this topic in an empirical fashion (survey). If you have ever invested in an ICO, please help us by answering the following survey: https://www.unipark.de/uc/ICOs/ Your help is greatly appreciated!

By the way, the results of the study and all related publications will be published Open Access and freely available. Currently, we have approx. 350 responses. If we reach 500 participants or more, we will hold an Ethereum raffle in which we will distribute 0.5 ETH to a randomly chosen person.
RiotCats
Copper Member

Activity: 54

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 12:31:42 PM

I think that the main reason is to make profit. Especially when you can see the potential in a project. But now it's difficult to find reliable projects because of many scams Sad

Blockchain-based game about restless cats in a post-apocalyptic world
riotcats.co
ico_researcher

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 06:01:20 AM

Done, glad to help

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

We plan to wrap up the data collection this weekend and will start analyzing. So far, 425 participated in the survey!
As a final call: Any help in filling out or promoting this survey would be greatly appreciated: https://www.unipark.de/uc/ICOs/
darkdangem

Activity: 90

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Most of them have the same purpose and that is to make more profit but there is some people who uses ICO to introduce their businesses, for branding, for savings, for new development, to generate a stable income and to develop their countries technology. Who knows their are also big people who controls all these new ICO for their other goals.
ps3o

Activity: 113

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 06:45:47 AM

People need money and thyy need a way to find money
ephelants360 Official

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 07:19:25 AM

Hi, are you conducting your research from the perspective of an ''investor'' or also from the perspective of start-ups or corporates that are conducting an ICO?

Maybe both perspectives are interesting to research? Also, don't know if you are taking this into account as of yet, but are you looking into retail investors only or also VCs, Hedge Funds/Crypto Funds, and angel investors?
ico_researcher

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 08:38:32 AM

Hi, are you conducting your research from the perspective of an ''investor'' or also from the perspective of start-ups or corporates that are conducting an ICO?

Maybe both perspectives are interesting to research? Also, don't know if you are taking this into account as of yet, but are you looking into retail investors only or also VCs, Hedge Funds/Crypto Funds, and angel investors?

Thank you for these questions. We decided to deliberately focus on ICO investors only. We did this mainly for methodological reasons: it is very difficult to get a representative sample of non-ICO investors, as this (theoretically) also applies to people that simply do not know about ICOs at all. Describing the sample will be a crucial point in an eventual peer-review, so we tried to keep it a bit more simple. Anyway, the snowball technique we used will be something that the reviewers point out as a limitation, but hopefully it won't be a deal-breaker.

So, as this is an initial study, there are many things to explore further in the future! This also applies to a comparison with Crowdfunding, VC, and business angels!

Actually, I have already written a paper from the ICO perspective, which is currently under review and available here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323958952_Initial_coin_offerings_ICOs_to_finance_new_ventures_An_exploratory_study

This paper shows, for example, that start-ups can raise more money by having a longer white paper and issue more tokens (which is funny and underlines the irrationality of some investors, because the number of tokens is completely arbitrary ... ).
Cryptomilz
Copper Member

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 08:50:07 AM

Thank you very much for your quick responses and your helpful comments!

You have not done the needful to the heading of this post as suggested by people with more experience than you on this platform. I'll suggest you do that to get more feedbacks to your research. Good luck

To answer your question, people invest in a lot of reasons. Chief of it is make profits as ICO's have been known to have high ROI's in the past which really isn't the case of late. Another reason people invest is because they plan to actually use those tokens on the platforms of these projects, so they get it cheap during ICO.
Cryptohaha

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 10:21:08 AM

people invest to make gained huge profit.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: