Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:52:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4U rack mount case options for ASIC SEtups  (Read 965 times)
Powell (OP)

Activity: 486
Merit: 262

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:49:10 PM

I asked in custom hardware but not much response.  I am going to be moving my Antminers to our datacenter and I cannot just stack them inside of a rack so I am trying to convert them into a case.

I am trying to find a 4U case that has a slot for a power supply and I don't have to hack up too much to fit each blade in.  Also if one side has a fan and the other is grated that would be even better.

I know a few ASIC companies are getting them and as much as they say they designed them I hardly doubt it.

Thanks
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:52:33 PM

Any cheap generic 4U case will do.  They have plenty of space inside.
MWNinja

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 05:20:13 PM

I asked in custom hardware but not much response.  I am going to be moving my Antminers to our datacenter and I cannot just stack them inside of a rack so I am trying to convert them into a case.

I am trying to find a 4U case that has a slot for a power supply and I don't have to hack up too much to fit each blade in.  Also if one side has a fan and the other is grated that would be even better.

I know a few ASIC companies are getting them and as much as they say they designed them I hardly doubt it.

Thanks

I wouldn't bother trying to make a case, you are just adding unnecessary costs.  Put in some shelves and stack them, it works great. We zip tie 3 units together and run them off one power supply; you should be able to stack 6 per shelf, 4 shelves per cab (assuming your DC will allow for that much power density).
Malexo

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:05:32 PM
Last edit: February 04, 2014, 03:36:33 AM by Malexo

I asked in custom hardware but not much response.  I am going to be moving my Antminers to our datacenter and I cannot just stack them inside of a rack so I am trying to convert them into a case.

I am trying to find a 4U case that has a slot for a power supply and I don't have to hack up too much to fit each blade in.  Also if one side has a fan and the other is grated that would be even better.

Thanks

I wouldn't bother trying to make a case, you are just adding unnecessary costs.  Put in some shelves and stack them, it works great. We zip tie 3 units together and run them off one power supply; you should be able to stack 6 per shelf, 4 shelves per cab (assuming your DC will allow for that much power density).
i dont think powell WANTS to make a case, I think it is neccesary in order to move them to a legit datacenter (yeah?).

i am also planning on moving my ants to a datacenter and likely need to do the same thing.
i wonder if theres enough demand for some modded cases, a good case modifier can piece something together to fit 4-6 ants and 2 psus.  that would be fantastic.

id even throw 1-2 BTC in an escrow while its being built so he knows its not for none.  powell would you have any interest here or are you planning on making your own?
Powell (OP)

Activity: 486
Merit: 262

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 05:38:40 AM

I bought 2x 4U rackmount chassis today to play with.  I have them stripped out so now is the challenge to see what we can fit in them.  I didn't put to much time tonight other than getting 2 of those HIGH speed fans from the BTMiner I made into a watercooling setup mounted to the front in place of the standard 120mm unit and one I mounted in the place the 5.25" drives went.  I think I may still have to cut that in half though in order for extra room.

Problem I see so far is getting the power supply in with the two Ants so far mainly due to width of everything.  I need to sit down some and look over everything.  I hate taking one down for a long time and taking to even worse LOL.  Though it needs to be done so they can be moved to our datacenter.

And you were right on the reasoning for a case.  I like the Ant setup Ninja has but our datacenter is used by IBM and us to show off new hardware so can't have randomness in it Sad  I lucked out with 8U where some storage drawers we got rid of.
Malexo

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:19:09 AM

can you send or post some pics of your cases?  would love to see these.
i have never done hardware modifying to this extent, i imagine i need some welding experience to start modding 4U racks,yeah?

how many antminers do you have?  i am currently looking to rent a datacenter.  an ibm datacenter sounds badass... ill go on a limb and assume that they dont accept renters?  i need my antminers to live elsewhere.

i hate modifying my gear either hardware or software.  i alwasy rush my work because i think in the back of my head the amount of coin ill be missing if i don't hurry.  its a curse!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:09:19 AM

Look at the 4U cases on newegg that are under $200 or even under $100 and pick one long enough for your needs. The cheaper the better because they have less internal metal pieces. You'd want one where you'd need the least amount of effort gutting. You'll need some basic power tools to drill out rivets and maybe cut metal.
Malexo

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:40:41 AM

Powell, what size case did you get?
im going to order my ants probably in the next few days here... just hesitant because of the case situation to be honest.  i think i found a sweet local datacenter to host them too, soi'm looking forward to the next few weeks.

i'll post the cases i choose and put pictures of my mods (assuming i do them) here.  it will be my first ever real "mod" on a piece of computer hardware so hopefuly it isnt too ... bad .  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: