Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:26:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beenz vs Bitcoin  (Read 5442 times)
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 08:04:13 AM

Motherfucker, is that a 128k upgrade I see on the side?  You rich bitch!

(PC Jr: me too)

stole the pic from wikipedia, mine actually was way more frankenstein - it was a triple(!) stacker, the middle part was a 3.5" floppy drive, the uppermost third was a 40 megabyte hard drive.   The floppy had a switch in the back soldered in so you could only either use the 5.25" or the 3.5" depending on where it was switched to.   On the sidecarts I had a couple memory expansions, a joystick card, and a hard drive controller sidecar with a big ribbon cable connecting it the hard drive on top.

all this stuff was added over several years, and I got the computer when I was like 10 from an uncle and it was already an antique by the time I got it, I think 486dx's were the top of the line at the time.  I wonder how fast a PCjr could mine bitcoins... 1 hash per day? lol

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cussmob_CUE

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 08:25:49 AM

Seriously, the fact that for most of this thread people have been claiming that computers were popular and "mainstream" just because they personally owned one or knew people who owned one is exactly why people often-jokingly say that this forum is full of trolls. I don't really think they're being serious about that, but threads like this make you wonder...  Roll Eyes

if you had said 1995 i may have thought you were serious, but 2000? i'm sorry you had to grow up in that neighborhood where most households had no computer.

computers in sydney/brisbane households were most definitely mainstream by 1995.

Can you...

no, as i just said, i don't believe you're being serious.
I really don't appreciate the insinuation here. Maybe I wasn't clear with my comment about "trolls" - I didn't mean I thought you, specifically, were a troll or anything like that, even though you posted in this thread. In fact my point was sorta the opposite - I'm sorry, I probably just wasn't doing a good job explaining myself. Basically what I meant is that - while I, personally, do not believe this - it's understandable that people think lots of people here on Bitcointalk.org are trolling, because a lot of the time people here say things that are sorta wrong, because they grew up in very exclusive communities and forgot that the outside world wasn't as "quick" with technological advances as they and their close relations were.

a lot of people thinking they're normal when in fact they're merely exceptions to the rule.

yeah actually i can think of one person that fits that description.

Are you accusing me of this? If you are, I really think you're being blinded by this weird hostility towards me which you seem to have. The truth is, one of my friends owned an Apple 2C, but - unlike some - I can see that he (and, by extension, my own personal upbringing / experience) was the exception, not the rule.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 12:05:33 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2011, 12:27:09 PM by BadBear

i'd personally argue that computers weren't really a common thing in America until the first-person-shooter genre was really established when Half Life came out in 2000. Before then, there really was no need for a computer in most (note: MOST! just because your weird Uncle Richard had one does not make you "most people") households.

Computers weren't common in America until 2000?  How old are you, I'm guessing too young to really know cause that's most definitely not true.  AOL alone had a million members in 1995, 5 million in 96.  And that's just internet access from one company, a lot more people than that had computers.  

By the way, Half-Life didn't establish the FPS genre, Doom did (1993).  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 12:21:53 PM

i'd personally argue that computers weren't really a common thing in America until the first-person-shooter genre was really established when Half Life came out in 2000. Before then, there really was no need for a computer in most (note: MOST! just because your weird Uncle Richard had one does not make you "most people") households.

This is simply an absurd claim. I sold computers retail from 1986 to 1990. They were very well established in a significant percent of homes even at that time.  While it may be true that lower income homes didn't have good ones saying they weren't common is completely false.

And some FPS game had nothing to do with them becoming common except to a very small minority of gamers. You see the world through your own tunnel vision and don't realize there is a far bigger world out there where people do use computers for more than gaming.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 12:35:07 PM

Established? Check how many computers there were in 1995, then 2000 and then check for 2011

Also ok you had a computer but what could you do with it? Much less things than today. And no smartphones at all.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 01:12:30 PM

Established? Check how many computers there were in 1995, then 2000 and then check for 2011

Also ok you had a computer but what could you do with it? Much less things than today. And no smartphones at all.

Nobody is saying there aren't more computers today, or that there were smartphones in 95.  Who are you replying to?  You should use the quote function.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Cussmob_CUE

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 06:16:08 PM

I really don't appreciate the insinuation here. Maybe I wasn't clear with my comment about "trolls" - I didn't mean I thought you, specifically, were a troll or anything like that, even though you posted in this thread. In fact my point was sorta the opposite - I'm sorry, I probably just wasn't doing a good job explaining myself. Basically what I meant is that - while I, personally, do not believe this - it's understandable that people think lots of people here on Bitcointalk.org are trolling, because a lot of the time people here say things that are sorta wrong, because they grew up in very exclusive communities and forgot that the outside world wasn't as "quick" with technological advances as they and their close relations were.

Your an idiot.  You didn't need to be in an exclusive community to have a computer in 2000.  Hell AOL had 20 million subscribers in 2000 and they sure as hell weren't running them on typewriters.  That is when AOL was covering the planet with their 88930482390483904 hours free CD.  Magazines, newspapers, direct mail, etc.

And why do you think so many AOL CDs ended up in garbage cans? Does it even occur to you that there might be a reason people were joking about AOL CDs being worthless?

A computer in 2000 wasn't an ultra exclusive niche.  As others have pointed out your timeframe is wrong.  If you said 1980 or 1990 a personal computer was pretty rare but 2000?  Come on.

You sound like some idiot trust fund baby on his first day in the dorms. "Oh my god, what do you mean there's no jacuzzi? Everybody in my gated community has a jacuzzi these days!  Roll Eyes".

Who is trolling now?

I don't know, my money's on the vitriolic hothead who opens his post with "your [sic] an idiot".
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2011, 06:25:42 PM

My grandmother had a computer starting with Win95. My parents had one since Win3.1. (I don't count, cause I'm a PC nerd). Practically all of our acquaintances had one, since they had to use them for word processing and stuff. By the time Win98 came out, I didn't really know anyone who still didn't have one. I do live in a middle class area though.
bosschair

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 07:12:55 PM

And why do you think so many AOL CDs ended up in garbage cans? Does it even occur to you that there might be a reason people were joking about AOL CDs being worthless?

Haha, ok, kid, let's hear your theory about why the CDs were worthless.  It's because computers weren't popular yet, right?

You'd be embarrassed of yourself right now if you had enough sense to know what you don't know.  Computers were wildly popular before CD-ROMs were even invented, you retard.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: