Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:58:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked that happen in some exchange scam or not?  (Read 239 times)
Leo Barnes (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:40:37 AM

From the moment I start with bitcoin, I already know some exchange has been hacked the latest now is the Coinrail and Bithumb in Korea why a trading platform like this did not put an extra security measure?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/19/korean-crypto-exchange-bithumb-says-it-lost-over-30m-following-a-hack/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:38:02 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2018, 02:43:57 PM by OmegaStarScream

What kind of security measures? The only thing I can think of is storing most of the funds in cold storage which I believe most of the exchanges are doing now but since Bithumb is a big exchange, the hot wallet contained a lot of money. An exploit can be found in any system. If the users themselves don't care about their funds (that's what leaving your funds stored in an exchange means), why would Bithumb or any other service care? If you don't have control over your private keys = you don't have the coins.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Louise0910

Activity: 335
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 12:38:55 PM

From the moment I start with bitcoin, I already know some exchange has been hacked the latest now is the Coinrail and Bithumb in Korea why a trading platform like this did not put an extra security measure?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/19/korean-crypto-exchange-bithumb-says-it-lost-over-30m-following-a-hack/
it is hard to determine to whether its a hack me scam or not let the expert handle the situation to probe if it is a scam or not.
salinaangel

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:35:30 PM

Actually there are now many digital hackers in the world now. Now this hacking has become a serious problem in this digital world. It is very hard to track the hackers and bring in to the court of law. But investors of this market should be very careful regarding the security of their wallet. Moreover exchanges need to make their security strong.
giantrobot

Activity: 564
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:39:55 PM

What kind of security measures? The only thing I can think of is storing most of the funds in cold storage which I believe most of the exchanges are doing now but since Bithumb is a big exchange, the hot wallet contained a lot of money. An exploit can be found in any system. If the users themselves don't care about their funds (that's what leaving your funds stored in an exchange means), why would Bithumb or any other service care? If you don't have control over your private keys = you don't have the coins.

I totally agree with your point of view. If you do not own a private key, it means that it is not yours. Large trading exchange can not keep them safe at all the time.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:43:52 PM

why a trading platform like this did not put an extra security measure?

Making an exchange secure is a lot harder than you think.

It's not like you just sort of install an extra security measure then you're good forever. Nope. Though I don't know if how seriously they take their security, making such site is definitely difficult to make secure, knowing that you're frequently being targeted by hackers. Not only that, you'd need to be always updated on the new exploits that can be used against your site.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:45:16 PM

Writing secure and complex software is very hard, so every piece of nontrivial software in the world has some vulnerabilities. But finding those vulnerabilities is also hard, so often times they remain undiscovered, but with exchanges and some other systems there's a big incentive to find them because it allows hackers to steal money. And with crypto this incentive is the strongest, because it's very convenient to immediately get cryptocurrency that can't be rolled back or even traced, unlike fiat. So, I think most exchanges have pretty good security measures, but they are not perfect, and its often enough to have just one vulnerability to compromise the system.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Furzo

Activity: 90

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 02:51:51 PM

Creating a secured website is difficult due of even your created website have lots of security hackers always make a way to hack websites, nowadays the technology rapidly growing and also the hackers improves their technology to hack even the most secured or popular websites they could possibly hack.
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 03:02:40 PM

According to some reports, this recent hack has nothing to do with Bithumb security measure. The reason for hack is still under investigation. But there is a news that malicious emails were sent to Bithumb users which directed them towards a phishing page and this led to the security breach. Regarding big exchanges not doing much about the security, Bithumb spends $9 million annually on security measures. This is online space, with such a large volume and user base, sometimes security becomes difficult.
bitcoinman93

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 03:04:11 PM

they should care because they're responsible for them while they're in their wallets. It has never happened to Coinbase for example, so it's important to choose the right exchange
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 03:17:21 PM

it is mostly a case by case basis! obviously all of the exchanges have some sort of security measures in place. some stronger than others specially the big ones handling a lot of money every day.
hacks do happen all over the internet. it is not just bitcoin exchanges that get hacked. a lot of different services get hacked also. i remember last year Yahoo send me an Email saying their database was hacked a long time ago and they found out about it just then after a long time!
but also sometimes some exchanges are just not honest and they scam their users and then call it "hacked"

There is a FOMO brewing...
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 03:20:40 PM
Merited by theyoungmillionaire (1)

they should care because they're responsible for them while they're in their wallets. It has never happened to Coinbase for example, so it's important to choose the right exchange

Who says they don't care? Do you think they actually want to get hacked? Getting hacked gets their public image destroyed. It does a lot more harm to them than to their users(dependingon how much is in your account).

Sure. It has never happened to Coinbase. YET. Not saying it will happen to them, but it's VERY VERY possible. Guess what? People in the past also thought MtGox was also very secure. Probably the same way how people look at Coinbase right now.

Guess what happened to MtGox? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox#Withdrawals_halted;_trading_suspended;_bitcoin_missing_(2014)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
AnthonyLa

Activity: 99

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 06:47:34 PM

I agree wih you that they should provide extra security to stop hacking because it has made everyone's life miserable.Also they should thake proper steps to trace those hackers to give them proper punishment.
vachellie

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 06:56:29 PM
Merited by xtraelv (1), wasaisi (1)

Actually creating prefect security is almost impossible, because technology growth from time to time, likewise hacking or cracking technology.
Obviously, they put extra security in their systems. But my teacher said everything that connected to internet is not safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: