Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:29:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any use as a basic mining rig security guide? Maybe sticky?  (Read 730 times)
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:15:25 PM

Hello,
I've just spend a while replying to a post and ended up going on a tandem about security. I thought I'd through it out on the main forum as a thread to see if it would be useful to anyone.....

Here it is..

Just to add a solution in case anyone does search.

This problem turned out to be a permissions issue, The default user is "user" on 0.1b which you would have been running at that time 'second poster', same in 0.2b.

Ideally you should be setting the permission for "user" only but I suspect most people want to see their graphics cards hashing asap, thus focus on mining configuration first.

So to start off, run the following from the terminal "chmod -R 777 /opt/miners"
The above changes permission to read, write and execute for everyone on all files within this folder. The -R option applies the recursive option to the command. (i.e. applies the permission to all sub folders and their files etc. within the specified /opt/miners)

Make sure your wallet is stored on a separate machine (such as your laptop) on a different network. (or VLAN if you've an enterprise grade router)

I'm not sure how important it is that the system is securely locked down from potential attackers (assuming it's on it's own network or VLAN.) The machines are just workstations with one service open, ssh, connecting to the net via NAT.
It's just the wallet you need to be concerned about.

If you have a decent firewall you can lock things down as well. I can only log into my network from one static ip subnet. All the other traffic is going out through NAT. Only services I can access are through ssh, but only from one network, which at any given time is the third network or second network I'm connecting into from the one I'm sitting connected to directly.

I don't read email or surf the net from the mining rig and only use reputable software.

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: