Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:37:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 [903] 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 ... 1035 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained]  (Read 1369739 times)
sambiohazard

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:11:26 PM

Nice to see that we have a dev (thanks Presstab) and lots of talk is going on to fix lots of issues. Here are my 2 cents on

Block Time Issue

I think 30 seconds block time is good & one of the +ve points of MINT. We just need to upload either a torrent or sync file every week. Also, alternate clients like electrum or MultiMINT might not help because AFAIK you can't mint with them.

Timewarp Issue

I dont know much about it so i guess experts have pretty much sorted it out and will take right decision.

Mintcoin Central

Just a reminder to people that I bought the www.mintcoin-central.com domain from the old developer, and I have all the assets for the old site in wordpress format. Now that mintcoin is going so strong, maybe we can table some ideas for what this website can do that would be of benefit to mintcoin.

This whole debacle in Greece, where banks have shuttered and have tiny daily withdrawal limits, really shows how important something like Mintcoin is. We can leave it to Bitcoin to advocate for Cryptos in general and have infastructure in place, while Mintcoin can quietly generate interest and make gains for people that know about it, but what can a new site do to help bring 'Mintcoin to the masses' so to speak?

I will suggest that we publish weekly/monthly updates on our partnerships with charities and show the progress of various fundraisers. This will give new investors/adopters a reason other than speculation to invest in the coin. It will give whole coin a purpose that will be visible and will garner attention of wider non-crypto public.

I would also remid every one to donate to cryptoID block explorer. I am doing a 0.01 BTC every week there. If some other contribution come in & we have hosting for say 6 months then i can send same amount to dev bounty.

Regards

Sam Smiley
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sambiohazard

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:12:33 PM

I am so happy to see such deep discussion. Thanks to all of you Smiley
Derek492

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:22:44 PM

Regarding the timewarp issue:
I think we should keep it as simple as possible and keep with using more even numbers. I propose 20 seconds for hashdrift, and 30 seconds for timedrift. Open to other opinions though. Just out of curiosity, how is Blackcoin's timedrift and hashdrift setup? Someone said they have a 15 second timedrift....so what is their hashdrift set at? 

Stop Mining.   Start Minting.   Mintcoin  [MINT]
5% annual minting reward. Mintcoins don't wear out like mining gear. They keep on minting!
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:48:19 PM

Sounds like the block time of 30 seconds for MINT is something that most of you consider enough of the coin's personality, that it would really change too much if that was altered.

Concerning drift. Blackcoin uses a 1 second search interval. Hashdrift is a term I have created myself, as an easier way to describe things to people. So if you see anyone, or the code itself, refer to search interval then think "hashdrift".

So blackcoin and the derivatives of it, will loop through the staking process every second, and look only at only one second worth of timestamps at a time. It isn't really all that different from MINT's current system, except that as is MINT will scan the first 60 timestamps, and then hash each new second at a time.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
coolbeans94

Activity: 613
Merit: 500

Mintcoin: Get some

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:07:36 PM

Sounds like the block time of 30 seconds for MINT is something that most of you consider enough of the coin's personality, that it would really change too much if that was altered.

Concerning drift. Blackcoin uses a 1 second search interval. Hashdrift is a term I have created myself, as an easier way to describe things to people. So if you see anyone, or the code itself, refer to search interval then think "hashdrift".

So blackcoin and the derivatives of it, will loop through the staking process every second, and look only at only one second worth of timestamps at a time. It isn't really all that different from MINT's current system, except that as is MINT will scan the first 60 timestamps, and then hash each new second at a time.

Interesting. I like the term.
So they essentially have their timedrift 15 seconds after their hashdrift (search interval). Correct?
If that seems to work, then we probably want to have 15 seconds more for the timedrift as well.

In light of the above, and past discussions, it seems to me, what would work well for Mintcoin, is to do 15 second hashdrift (search interval) and a a 30 second timedrift.  That seems to cover all the bases now.  Roll Eyes  Smiley

(1.) Moral happiness depends upon moral order.
(2.) Moral order depends upon the harmonious action of all our powers, as
individuals and as members of society.
sambiohazard

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:31:30 PM

Does this also affect the CPU & RAM usage, if i am getting this right, it has to keep 60 timestamps/blocks in RAM thus more RAM usage. I have seen that coins on POS 1.0 which have low block interval, consume a lot of RAM & CPU. For example UTC & MINT both use 625+ MB of RAM & 2-10% of a quad core at regular intervals.
coolbeans94

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 08:51:39 PM

Does this also affect the CPU & RAM usage, if i am getting this right, it has to keep 60 timestamps/blocks in RAM thus more RAM usage. I have seen that coins on POS 1.0 which have low block interval, consume a lot of RAM & CPU. For example UTC & MINT both use 625+ MB of RAM & 2-10% of a quad core at regular intervals.
Makes sense to me, that reducing it like we are discussing would lower the CPU & RAM.

sambiohazard

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:13:02 PM

Makes sense to me, that reducing it like we are discussing would lower the CPU & RAM.

Cool, that would be good side effect/added benefit!!
presstab
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:15:34 PM

If my assumptions are correct it will have no impact on RAM or on CPU.

Although it hashes the first 60 hashes * the amount of mature unspent outputs you have, those hashes are all destroyed the second the code leaves the scope of CheckKernelStakeHash(), as this is how c++ works.

The current code hashes the first 60 seconds, then hashes timestamp 61 after one second passes, then 62 after two seconds pass, etc. Not 60 hashes each time (or else if it is doing so, it is not designed to be this way).

MINT has a very very old codebase, that hasn't been updated much in terms of efficiency, as well as a huge blockchain. The pool of unspent outputs for the entire network is stored in your RAM, thus this means a large amount of ram for an old chain with lost coins or lots of cold storage outputs. The CPU usage is probably a combination of all these items.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
sambiohazard

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:24:31 PM

so to reduce the RAM usage we need everyone to consolidate there outputs into bigger less numerous outputs.
coolbeans94

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:36:57 PM

Although it hashes the first 60 hashes * the amount of mature unspent outputs you have, those hashes are all destroyed the second the code leaves the scope of CheckKernelStakeHash(), as this is how c++ works.

The current code hashes the first 60 seconds, then hashes timestamp 61 after one second passes, then 62 after two seconds pass, etc. Not 60 hashes each time (or else if it is doing so, it is not designed to be this way).

MINT has a very very old codebase, that hasn't been updated much in terms of efficiency, as well as a huge blockchain. The pool of unspent outputs for the entire network is stored in your RAM, thus this means a large amount of ram for an old chain with lost coins or lots of cold storage outputs. The CPU usage is probably a combination of all these items.
What do you recommend to improve efficiency specifically how to cut back on RAM usage? I've noticed this too that very gradually the RAM usage has tended to rise.

Derek492

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:00:43 PM

What do you recommend to improve efficiency specifically how to cut back on RAM usage? I've noticed this too that very gradually the RAM usage has tended to rise.
Would creating a new Genesis block  help with this and cut down the RAM?

5% annual minting reward. Mintcoins don't wear out like mining gear. They keep on minting!
presstab
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:08:52 PM

There may be a few areas in the code that have some unpatched memory leaks, but these are fairly small leaks, and the bulk of the RAM usage is not really reversible. Its the fact that there are so many unused outputs in the RAM. So its my opinion that the majority of the RAM consumption will be here to stay, unless you go chain swap which in my opinion should be a last resort reserved for emergencies or disfunctionally large chains.

Derek492

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:22:49 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2015, 10:42:00 PM by Derek492

Yeah. In my opinion the RAM issue is less critical. I think we do need to patch the timewarp issue and maybe increase the confirmations at this point. Probably anything else can wait for now. Beefing up the security of the coin is the main thing. Is everyone in agreement on that?

I think 15 second hashdrift with 30 second timedrift, and bumping up from 4 to 40 confirmations sounds good to me. I would only increase the confirmations required for new coins that are staking from 50 to maybe 100 confirmations, or it will take over an hour to use any newly minted coins.

sambiohazard

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 10:55:14 PM

+1 from me. Security is of utmost importance. Also I would like to hear Presstab's thoughts on POS 2.0 adoption as it is also related to security.
Derek492

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:37:58 PM

+1 from me. Security is of utmost importance. Also I would like to hear Presstab's thoughts on POS 2.0 adoption as it is also related to security.
The reason I am against that is because it involves lowering the minimum waiting time in order to stake. I would much rather increase confirmations instead, which increases security without compromising stakabilty.

sambiohazard

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:56:43 PM

The reason I am against that is because it involves lowering the minimum waiting time in order to stake. I would much rather increase confirmations instead, which increases security without compromising stakabilty.

I am not sure how low waiting time compromises staking. You get smaller but more frequent rewards. Its all about how you see it. For those who are looking at it as a long term investment which they will sit on would like current scheme but if you want to spend your coins then having long wait times will compromise your overall rewards as you spend. Also, there is issue of people not staking 24x7 but still getting rewards for it. When you are offline you are not securing the network/adding to network weight.
coolbeans94

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:25:10 AM

I am not sure how low waiting time compromises staking. You get smaller but more frequent rewards. Its all about how you see it. For those who are looking at it as a long term investment which they will sit on would like current scheme but if you want to spend your coins then having long wait times will compromise your overall rewards as you spend. Also, there is issue of people not staking 24x7 but still getting rewards for it. When you are offline you are not securing the network/adding to network weight.
It compromises the number of people or the number of balances that are able to stake.
You only stake if you find a block and are only so many blocks in a given period of time. If you lower the waiting period before you can stake again, then it queezes out people with lower balances from being able to stake and get a block. With a 20 day waiting period, it allows for roughly 57,600 stakes before those same coins can stake again, (30 second block time x 20 days). If we lowered it to say 1 day, then only the top 2,880 coin weights would stake, then it will cycle over again, and likely be those same 2,880 addresses once again that stake.

presstab
Legendary

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:34:57 AM

I don't really love "PoS2.0". I think stake weight is a well though out system, and when it is properly implemented it is quite safe.

I2S2SI

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:44:48 AM

How long before my coins in wallet start minting?

They been maturing for 2 days now

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Pages: « 1 ... 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 [903] 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 ... 1035 »
  Print  

Jump to: