Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:31:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 [595] 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 ... 1035 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained]  (Read 1369739 times)
stormia

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:09:21 PM

Just thought
If there is a bug, must it be the dev that fixes it?
Since its open source, couldnt just any one with the skills fix it?
Rat4 for example, who says there is an easy fix. He claims he only want to help mint, then why cant he just fix it? (if there are something to fix in the first place..)

Haha. Half of your community are bag holders in denial who won't even admit there is a problem so I am hoping Rat4 doesn't touch it. Especially after the rubbish he has had to put up with today.
mr_random why are you here, doing exactly what you just described: "such blatant FUD attempts." All the information about the situation that needs to be shared here has already been shared, you are doing nothing but trolling as usual.

You have always been a troll on this thread, nobody is going to listen to you no matter what you say. Leave the discussion to reputable and respectable members of the blackcoin community.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
derBruchpilotPro

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:09:23 PM

You guys here make more Blackcoin PR as you think here.

All those bashing makes you look like being jealous, focus should be on MINT not on BC here or not?

NEM/XEM!!!
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:11:13 PM

All those bashing makes you look like being jealous, focus should be on MINT not on BC here or not?

The focus should be Mint here, and BC on BC forum. All the information that the BC community needed to share with us at the moment has already been shared. The only people from BC that are still on this thread are here to troll.
mgburks77

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:12:16 PM

Just thought
Rat4 for example, who says there is an easy fix. He claims he only want to help mint, then why cant he just fix it? (if there are something to fix in the first place..)

dude, he's the guy that made all of this shit up

they want the price to go down because they think it will help them pump BC so he won't be fixing anything for you

If you notice I've asked that they go ahead and attack MINT several times so we can clear the issue up once and for all but do you see any response other than more FUD?

Of course not, and what does that tell you?
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:14:01 PM

How about we all just chill out and wait a little longer for a response from the dev and stop speculating.
deadmanwalking

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:14:59 PM

Wow, some easy targets here. Guys stop letting people antagonize you, and let's get focused back on Mint please.

\
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:17:35 PM

How about we all just chill out and wait a little longer for a response from the dev and stop speculating.

They've already responded.
paspi

Activity: 185

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:19:31 PM

The Blackcoin dev rat4 who is a talented individual has found an attack which applies to Mintcoin (due to it being pow/pos hybrid that has low difficulty for pow component).

Please read it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=551861.0

Note the most recent posts where the attack has been executed guys.

Yes, do add to this:

We have tested the hypothesis we found and managed to succesfully stop PoS from being accepted for over one hour on the MintCoin blockchain.
Basicly this means anyone could turn MintCoin into a PoW-only coin for the foreseeable future and due to the low hashrate on the coin a 51% attack becomes really easy with all the known issues that that brings.

We have immediatly contacted the mintcoin devs, long before rat4 posted it in the topic quoted above. I am still waiting for a confirmation that they are fixing the issue at hand.

I'm investigating the issue. I'm not a dev of mintcoin, but I believe in this community and I try to address issues that I can fix in the code and send a patch to devs as much as I can. (Let it be network connection issues that troubled v1.0, or high CPU usage of v1.4, there were one or two more minor fixes I submitted, but I can't remember now:) )

I saw the devs responded to the issue here, but I don't know when they'll provide a fix (or if they believe there's a problem that need to be fixed -- or if there's really a problem). They usually prefer to do their development behind the scenes, and release their changes in a new version.

I'll investigate the issue anyway for my own curiosity. I would like to provide a patch, but it seems like a security issue in the core, so it's not one person's job to fix it. More eyes are needed to validate any changes to make sure the changes indeed fix the problem and don't introduce new flaws. (In fact not only validation, but also code/idea contributions would be needed).

I believe the devs are trying to understand the issue and fix it. Still, if enough people are interested, we may create a fork on github and try to create a patch there, which can later be merged into the main client codebase when it's ready. I would volunteer for creating a patch for this if there are enough people who will contribute -- by reviewing changes, committing changes, or discussing security issues. But it has to be a community effort, I won't dare to change core components by myself and then submit an unreviewed patch to the devs -- it would be risky.

So what are your thoughts? Anyone is interested in working on this?

PS: I haven't read entire https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=551861.0 yet; and I might have missed some posts here if anyone proposed a solution. I'm yet trying to digest the issue introduced in that topic and the blockchain explorer.

MINT: MdPQhsGufjm5AXYkHebbnF2A155xDqVfK7
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:20:24 PM

I know, and they said they were looking into it/working on it. My point to everybody is, lets be patient and wait for the next update.
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:21:56 PM

The Blackcoin dev rat4 who is a talented individual has found an attack which applies to Mintcoin (due to it being pow/pos hybrid that has low difficulty for pow component).

Yes, do add to this:

We have tested the hypothesis we found and managed to succesfully stop PoS from being accepted for over one hour on the MintCoin blockchain.
Basicly this means anyone could turn MintCoin into a PoW-only coin for the foreseeable future and due to the low hashrate on the coin a 51% attack becomes really easy with all the known issues that that brings.

We have immediatly contacted the mintcoin devs, long before rat4 posted it in the topic quoted above. I am still waiting for a confirmation that they are fixing the issue at hand.

I'm investigating the issue. I'm not a dev of mintcoin, but I believe in this community and I try to address issues that I can fix in the code and send a patch to devs as much as I can. (Let it be network connection issues that troubled v1.0, or high CPU usage of v1.4, there were one or two more minor fixes I submitted, but I can't remember now:) )

I saw the devs responded to the issue here, but I don't know when they'll provide a fix (or if they believe there's a problem that need to be fixed -- or if there's really a problem). They usually prefer to do their development behind the scenes, and release their changes in a new version.

I'll investigate the issue anyway for my own curiosity. I would like to provide a patch, but it seems like a security issue in the core, so it's not one person's job to fix it. More eyes are needed to validate any changes to make sure the changes indeed fix the problem and don't introduce new flaws. (In fact not only validation, but also code/idea contributions would be needed).

I believe the devs are trying to understand the issue and fix it. Still, if enough people are interested, we may create a fork on github and try to create a patch there, which can later be merged into the main client codebase when it's ready. I would volunteer for creating a patch for this if there are enough people who will contribute -- by reviewing changes, committing changes, or discussing security issues. But it has to be a community effort, I won't dare to change core components by myself and then submit an unreviewed patch to the devs -- it would be risky.

PS: I haven't read entire https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=551861.0 yet; and I might have missed some posts here if anyone proposed a solution. I'm yet trying to digest the issue introduced in that topic and the blockchain explorer.

+1. Thank you paspi.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:22:30 PM

Just thought

Haha. Half of your community are bag holders in denial who won't even admit there is a problem so I am hoping Rat4 doesn't touch it. Especially after the rubbish he has had to put up with today.
mr_random why are you here, doing exactly what you just described: "such blatant FUD attempts." All the information about the situation that needs to be shared here has already been shared, you are doing nothing but trolling as usual.

You have always been a troll on this thread, nobody is going to listen to you no matter what you say. Leave the discussion to reputable and respectable members of the blackcoin community.

So far a new person reading this topic will see that 50% of the regular posters are actually liars if they read the last few pages and then check the blockchain explorer to see the attack in black and white.

I used to be a big MINT supporter, feel free to check my post history I was here in the early days.
deadmanwalking

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:23:17 PM

Thanks paspi

\
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:25:23 PM

Yes, do add to this:

Nice post. The Mintcoin community is lucky to have you. You actually sound more knowledgeable than the MINT dev himself  Cheesy

However I think it's best that Soepkip and Rat4 leave this one to you guys to try and fix this mess. They've gotten mostly abuse for their work here. Talk about a thankless task.
gonzoucab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:26:22 PM

Thanks paspi

Thanks paspi.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:27:24 PM

I know, and they said they were looking into it/working on it. My point to everybody is, lets be patient and wait for the next update.

They said they would look into if it becomes an issue, actually

All I know is that the time for all this talk is over. they say they can kill the coin. I'll believe it when I see it. until then, well, talk is cheap.

Believe me, if they could kill MINT they would have. They can't do it so they are left with trolling.
stormia

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:28:53 PM

Just thought

So far a new person reading this topic will see that 50% of the regular posters are actually liars if they read the last few pages and then check the blockchain explorer to see the attack in black and white.

I used to be a big MINT supporter, feel free to check my post history I was here in the early days.

I would recommend people look through your post history on here as well. You went sour on Mint a long time ago, and have since been back only to hurt the community. Please, stop posting here and aggravating the problem. "50% of the regular posters are actually liars" is complete BS and you know it. You are refering to 2 or 3 different people's comments at most and a few individuals do not represent the majority of the community. Also do not mix up being confused with lying.
choppy123

Activity: 383

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:31:23 PM

I've just noticed something while going over the block chain.

First of all, the attack was really just from 203231 to 203405 before it started to be interrupted by even more PoS blocks:
http://mintcoin-explorer.info/chain/MintCoin?hi=203233&count=50
http://mintcoin-explorer.info/chain/MintCoin?hi=203433&count=50

Secondly, even within this period, there are still some PoS blocks that occur:
https://i.imgur.com/LydCerH.png

Most importantly of all. Through the ENTIRE attack period, not a single transaction was confirmed by one of the PoW blocks (aside from the PoW blocks producing their 1 MINT). The only transaction confirmations were done by the few PoS blocks which interrupted. How is this possible? There are way, way more PoW blocks, but none of them confirmed transactions over an entire hour? Is that because PoW blocks cannot confirm transaction during this "attack"? If so, then this "attack" cannot be used to double spend or do any real damage. Right?

So it's even worse than we thought. The entire network was frozen with no confirmations, and that was only carried out by the first stage of the attack.

Game over.

No it's even better than we thought!  If you investigate the block chain and understand how POW/POS works you will realize that Mintcoin has just survived the worst possible attack. Mintcoin is anti-fragile even more so than bitcoin. You clearly don't understand what anti-fragile means and I certainly wouldn't trust any of the FUD that your smearing with a grain of salt.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
mgburks77

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:34:06 PM

I've just noticed something while going over the block chain.

First of all, the attack was really just from 203231 to 203405 before it started to be interrupted by even more PoS blocks:
http://mintcoin-explorer.info/chain/MintCoin?hi=203233&count=50
http://mintcoin-explorer.info/chain/MintCoin?hi=203433&count=50

Secondly, even within this period, there are still some PoS blocks that occur:
https://i.imgur.com/LydCerH.png

Most importantly of all. Through the ENTIRE attack period, not a single transaction was confirmed by one of the PoW blocks (aside from the PoW blocks producing their 1 MINT). The only transaction confirmations were done by the few PoS blocks which interrupted. How is this possible? There are way, way more PoW blocks, but none of them confirmed transactions over an entire hour? Is that because PoW blocks cannot confirm transaction during this "attack"? If so, then this "attack" cannot be used to double spend or do any real damage. Right?

So it's even worse than we thought. The entire network was frozen with no confirmations, and that was only carried out by the first stage of the attack.

Game over.

No it's even better than we thought!  If you investigate the block chain and understand how POW/POS works you will realize that Mintcoin has just survived the worst possible attack possible. Mintcoin is anti-fragile even more so than bitcoin. If you don't understand what anti-fragile means then I wouldn't trust any FUD that your smearing with a grain of salt.

That's a refreshing perspective, thanks!

I suspected as much. I seriously doubt they would have failed to destroy mint if it were at all possible.
deadmanwalking

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:35:22 PM

They said they would look into if it becomes an issue, actually

All I know is that the time for all this talk is over. they say they can kill the coin. I'll believe it when I see it. until then, well, talk is cheap.

Believe me, if they could kill MINT they would have. They can't do it so they are left with trolling.

There is probably validity to your statement Mg.

Soepkip and others post on this thread and say they are trying to help. However if one looks at the posts outside of this thread, you will see them openly mocking Mint.

Still, I think we should just ignore them while our dev takes a look and makes a statement. Having Paspi look into it is a big plus too as he has already fixed a minor bug for our community.

\
Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:37:57 PM

Agree completely. Like they say "all press is good press". Too many trolls lately talking about random coins in other coins ann threads.
Pages: « 1 ... 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 [595] 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 ... 1035 »
  Print  

Jump to: