Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:20:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 [663] 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 ... 1035 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained]  (Read 1369739 times)
Beaverslayer

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:49:55 PM

Got lots of 'minted' coins but they havent actually minted but showing on the transaction thingy. Is this normal?

Yes, those are orphaned blocks. Your coin age is not affected by them, and soon you will actually Mint coins, it just may take a bit longer. It all depends on the amount of coins in your wallet that are at least 20 days old.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:00:25 PM

The bottom line is the price would be increasing if people weren't selling. HBN is a great example of this - the price keeps going up because sell pressure is so low. Nobody is really selling in any significant quantity.

Now, mint does have a larger cap but still, if everyone (or even MOST users) were just holding and minting, then the price should naturally be rising. It's not. Therefore, people are selling, and significant amounts.

I think it was noted a few pages back that the biggest holder of Mint was selling? Not dumping in a destructive way, but selling enough to keep the price relatively stable and keep Mint under the radar. So that might seem like the action of many people, but maybe not... Anyway I do expect some rises but even if Mint stays at this price while Bitcoin rises then that's fine.

Isn't the biggest holder the dev? (it's a serious question I'm not being facetious.) I thought there was a sizable pre-mine, so unless someone bought up a ton at the right times it would be hard to rival that.

Impossible to say which address is the dev's for certain: http://mint.blockx.info/richlist/
They have already used some of the premine for bounties and the Mintcoin Fund, so hard to guess exactly how much is left. I think the dev has big long-term plans for this coin, which is why they have been hesitant to use the premine as quickly as some might prefer.

Thanks for the link...
I was just looking for it for a research

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
stormia

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:05:21 PM

Coin voting for MyWl: https://mywl.lt/voting/   voting ends May 1st!

Also, can't hurt to keep voting at: http://www.lovecrypto.com/vote
paspi

Activity: 185

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:56:59 PM

Android wallet update 2:

Hello everyone;

I'm progressing in the Java MintCoin library. I got the SPV wallet kit distributed with bitcoinj working (ForwardingService) , it can sync from genesis block to latest block (persists on disk). It can generate a MintCoin address, and receive coins sent to that MintCoin address and send a transaction back. It has some problems creating the forwarding transaction though, I haven't digged in that direction yet.

My biggest concern is security vs. being lightweight enough for Android devices. Normally, SPV wallets are used in android wallets, which only store last x block headers (say 5000), and delete the rest. They trust on their peers and the cumulative POW difficulty of the chain. They don't verify any transactions.

In contrast, for a POW+POS coin, header difficulty in POS blocks is not a secure measure at all. Difficulty of the header is relatively low, and easy to forge. The coinstake transaction of POS block provides block's security, and if you're not verifying transactions, you will have problems. So, if you know that your peer is not validating any transactions at all, including coinstake, you know that you can forge a series of POS blocks and send it to your peer. (In order to be able to verify coinstake transaction, you need to have stored the corresponding transaction that generated it from at least 20 days ago. Its time open ended actually, its position can go up to genesis block. In contrast SPV clients only store transactions that relate to their own addresses, and discard the rest)

Currently, I'm working on a lightly-verified SPV blockchain implementation. It stores up to 40 days of blocks and tracks spent/unspent transactions seen in these blocks (this would somewhat affect the resource usage, but not as much as a full verifying blockchain which is almost impossible to run on android devices). As transactions of last 40 days would be always available, client would be able to verify a high percent of generated POS blocks (If they are indeed generated from unspent transactions, and if coin's owner really matches). It won't be able to verify POS blocks that are generated from older transactions.

So this is a mixed approach, although it doesn't verify all POS blocks, it would assume that a few unverifable POS blocks followed by a large number of verifiable POS blocks means that the network accepted the questionable chain, and that chain can be trusted as long as the network does. Actually this is not a verifying implementation, but rather a invalidating one; detecting as much invalid POS blocks as possible before they are appended to any chain.

This implementation is somewhat different than current bitcoinj/mintcoind 's transaction input/output connecting (they keep track of transactions spent only in the main chain, and rely on cumulative Proof of Work on alternative chains. They do a transaction reordering every time an alternative chain becomes longest). They can do this because they can verify any chain at anytime, they keep the whole history, they don't have any risk at all.  In contrast POS with SPV has to keep track of spent/unspent transactions outputs in every possible branch simultaneously, so it can reject invalid POS blocks even before they end up in an alternate chain. This difference proved itself to be highly challenging to implement, although I believe I managed a way out.

So, well, I'm continuing working on this hard, and I believe I resolved most of the problems. Although library is currently working and able to persist on disk and receive transactions, it is not secure until this light verification is done. Hopefully I would be able to fully implement this by the weekend.

I'm working on github, I decided not to publish my changes to public until I can get a wallet android app working, so I avoid pushing my changes there. I'm currently only working only on the java library, it will be very easy to port any wallet to use it once library is properly working. But I don't want any other PoW+PoS coin to grab the library (even unsecure versions of it) and release an android app before us.

I really need some comments / feedbacks on my solution to POS Coin + SPV wallet security issue -- so if you think you have an idea, don't hesitate to contact me, I'll be happy to find out potential security issues and change the design before it's late.

Android wallet update:

Hello everybody; I'm working on a Java MintCoin library and an Android wallet.

For best security and long term development, I forked from latest bitcoinj last week. Converted it to Scrypt. Made it able to communicate with my local Mintcoin wallet over network. I just updated it to understand and accept PoS/PoW hybrid blocks, and I can announce you that it can sync with the blockchain from genesis block up to #239870, which is generated just minutes ago Smiley

There are some missing features yet:

- It can validate PoW block difficulties (calculation is a little different in PoW/PoS hybrids than pure PoW coins, PoS blocks affect calculations, and modifying bitcoinj library for this task really had some challenges) ; but it doesn't try to validate PoS block difficulties yet (this is a security issue and will be fixed before releasing)

- It doesn't verify POW block rewards (due to the fact that I couldn't find a specific pseudorandom generator implementation that decides on randomized POW block rewards). I don't think this would be an issue as the main use case would be a Simple Payment Verification wallet, checkpoints will cover our security up to removal of PoW from MintCoin (though it will be nice to have the checks in place)

- Minting: It's now almost clear that minting would be possible even in SPV wallet mode. I will annonuce details later. I have to figure out validating PoS blocks first.

- UI: I'm just trying to get the pure library working properly now. Once the library is working, it'll be very easy to fork/make an Android App that uses it

- Bloom filters: Here is a request for the community: Current Mintcoin wallet doesn't support Bloom filters. Bloom filters allow SPV clients download only the transactions they're interested in (instead of all transactions in blocks), reducing mobile users' data usage dramatically. Please put a bounty on it so that someone can merge it from bitcoin client. Android wallet will work without Bloom Filter support in the main client, but its data usage would be much more.

MINT: MdPQhsGufjm5AXYkHebbnF2A155xDqVfK7
visual111

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:57:17 PM

How can I send with a specific address to avoid resetting coinage in a wallet?

Or are the coins moved the only ones whose coinage resets?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

paspi

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:06:43 AM

Android update 2.1 :

As it turned out we have to keep track of every unspent transaction of last XX days, I don't think bloom filters would be that useful anymore. I'm thinking of ways to alter bloom filter features to improve android wallet's network usage, but it's really low priority as it won't be just a code import anymore, but new development has to be made.

paspi

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:08:07 AM

How can I send with a specific address to avoid resetting coinage in a wallet?

Or are the coins moved the only ones whose coinage resets?
You can use Coin control features of MintCoin 1.8. Just enable it from Settings/Display, and you can access it on Send Coins tab.

paspi

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:17:51 AM

Android update 2.2

Client does not have bloom filters or "getheaders" support. Importing any of them into current wallet would be useful in the long run, but now not a priority, new development (both on main client and android library) has to be made to make them useful.

Converting bitcoinj from Sha256 to Scrypt is just a few lines of change, and it is nothing compared to converting it to support a Proof Of Stake coin Smiley I decided that bitcoinj is the most actively developed library compared to its forks, and it's not worth it to start development from any fork just for scrypt.

I haven't integrated unit tests yet, but I plan to do so in the long run. New unit tests would have to be written too, there are lots of changes in critical paths to support POS.

client should have bloom filter after 0.8.5 already forked...

Why not use litecoinj as a base? Are unit tests integrated?

mintcointeam (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:31:21 AM

Fantastic paspi! Keep up the good work!
stormia

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:00:53 AM

Thank you for the update paspi! It sounds like you are making some really great progress, it is very much appreciated!
Beaverslayer

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:10:48 AM

Great to hear this paspi, we're real glad to have such a dedicated person on the Mintcoin Team, you truly are an asset.
Invisible Hands

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:44:55 AM

I'm using the conf file in the OP but lately I'm still having very slow syncing.  Does anyone have some more nodes or tips?  

It just did it again, it was counting down blocks from 8000+ then suddenly said it was synced then started at 10000+ blocks

Also I see no explanation of the coin control features in the OP.
jakema

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:01:35 AM

yay u r the best paspi! keep up the good work Smiley
jakema

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:09:35 AM

I'm using the conf file in the OP but lately I'm still having very slow syncing.  Does anyone have some more nodes or tips?  

It just did it again, it was counting down blocks from 8000+ then suddenly said it was synced then started at 10000+ blocks

Also I see no explanation of the coin control features in the OP.

ok first of all as long as it says its only a couple seconds behind it fine, we still have people using old wallets witch is causing this to say its behind, make sure you download the new wallet 1.8 from the mintcoin web site and deleted everything in the %appdata% file except wallet.dat (thats your coins) then copy everything from the downloaded 1.8 file to %appdata% and wait for sync

for coin control follow these steps
NEW WALLET HAS COIN CONTROL!
In wallet choose settings-->options-->display-->mark "display coin control features"
Click OK. You will see CCF on Send tab now.
If you want to send only the newest coins do the following:
Open "inputs"
Choose list mode
Click on conformations twice to sort by lowest amount of conformations first.
Select enough addresses to fulfill your required amount.
Click OK
Use sending tab as usual.
coolbeans94

Activity: 613

Mintcoin: Get some

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:18:11 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 03:30:31 AM by coolbeans94

does any one have a rough estimate of when we will hit 70bill coins? how many years or months of 5% pos will there be?

I tried put the numbers into excel.
Start = 18b
1 year + 20%
2 year + 15%
3 year + 10
4 year + 5%
5 year + 5%

With these numbers do we hit 70b around 2036

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Starting at Block 100806 starting coins were 18,610,787,329.137546 that was March 9th, 2014 (about 37 days ago now)
We are now at 18,836,728,001.351253 coins outstanding; divide the difference by 37 days and you get about $6.2MM coins per day avg being added to the money supply. this comes out to approximately ~12% increase in the money supply over the first year, which means that only about ~60% of the Mintcoins are actively minting. From here we are able to chart the following:

Even though we are at the 20% annual rate for minting, only 60% of that is actually minting, so the net increase in the money supply is only about ~12%
Next year when the annual rate drops to 15%, assuming 60% minting participation, the net increase in the money supply will be only about ~9%
3rd year, 10% rate will be a 6% net
4th+ years, 5% rate will really only be a net of 3% increase to the money supply per year.

(1.) Moral happiness depends upon moral order.
(2.) Moral order depends upon the harmonious action of all our powers, as
individuals and as members of society.
jakema

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:47:04 AM

does any one have a rough estimate of when we will hit 70bill coins? how many years or months of 5% pos will there be?

Start = 18b
1 year + 20%
2 year + 15%
3 year + 10
4 year + 5%
5 year + 5%

Starting at Block 100806 starting coins were 18,610,787,329.137546 that was March 9th, 2014 (about 37 days ago now)
We are now at 18,836,728,001.351253 coins outstanding; divide the difference by 37 days and you get about $6.2MM coins per day avg being added to the money supply. this comes out to approximately ~12% increase in the money supply over the first year, which means that only about ~60% of the Mintcoins are actively minting. From here we are able to chart the following:

https://i.imgur.com/mG1coN7.png

https://i.imgur.com/KQZdaf2.png

Even though we are at the 20% annual rate for minting, only 60% of that is actually minting, so the net increase in the money supply is only about ~12%
Next year when the annual rate drops to 15%, assuming 60% minting participation, the net increase in the money supply will be only about ~9%
4th+ years, 5% rate will really only be a net of 3% increase to the money supply per year.

very nice chart thank you for putting your time in to it. its a very long term coin a lot more than i previously thought but thats great news, it limits the coin supply over the next 40 years this coin seems to amaze me everyday
coolbeans94

Activity: 613

Mintcoin: Get some

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:27:28 AM

Start = 18b
1 year + 20%
2 year + 15%
3 year + 10
4 year + 5%
5 year + 5%

very nice chart thank you for putting your time in to it. its a very long term coin a lot more than i previously thought but thats great news, it limits the coin supply over the next 40 years this coin seems to amaze me everyday
I agree. The reason why it is wise to have some amount of inflation over an extended period of time is that it helps bring stability to the coin. If you release all of the coins that will ever be in existence in a short amount of time you get a pump and dumpy tendencies. That is why I like Mint.  The first 3 years are basically a bonus minting period, then the real long-term minting period comes extended over approximately 37 years. This allows ample time for adoption. The inflationary period lasts for ~40 years and this gives the coin merit and stability. This allows a lot of time for newcomers to come on board and get a good position before the coin becomes super rare.

(1.) Moral happiness depends upon moral order.
(2.) Moral order depends upon the harmonious action of all our powers, as
individuals and as members of society.
Beaverslayer

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:02:26 AM

Has anyone got any idea as to why the Block Explorer is 6 1/2 hours behind?

http://mint.blockx.info/get/chain/MintCoin
jakema

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:11:56 AM

yay bitcoin ATM lunches in Sydney Australia today this is great news for the crypto world including mint, unfortunately the royal family landed here today as well so all media attention is going to them  Angry

http://www.cnet.com.au/sydney-bitcoin-atm-brings-cryptocurrency-into-the-real-world-339347075.htm
Beaverslayer

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 05:18:09 AM

Just found this very interesting read on having an altcoin listed on lots of exchanges...everyone should read this.

http://www.cryptoscribe.com/market-trends/premature-multi-listing-destroys-new-coin-prices/
Pages: « 1 ... 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 [663] 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 ... 1035 »
  Print  

Jump to: