Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:23:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you have congruent wallets across multiple computers? (Flash Drive User)  (Read 3732 times)
BigRidg7 (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:02:31 AM

Hey everybody, this post could technically be filed under the Bitcoin section, but I have only 1 BTC and LTC wallet, and the rest are alt currencies. I also have a feeling my issue isn't with any particular currency, but moreso the way I'm downloading or accessing my wallets. Here is my issue below..

I use an encrypted IronKey flashdrive for all my wallets. When I originally downloaded the wallets, it was on my laptop. I believe I saved the initial folder just in my 'Downloads' tab, and when I unzipped them, I did so in the flash drive.

When I plug my flash drive into my laptop, voilla, there are my coins in all their glory.

When I plug my flash drive into my desktop, dud, all my wallets appear to be brand new. No coins, no transaction history, no wallet address, etc...

My question is what can I do so I can simply plug my flash drive into ANY computer and all my coins will be there? That was my intent in using the flash drive in the first place Wink If it helps at all, I've done wallet backups to the cloud via Google Drive, I don't really ever save anything to my computer's hard drives, only cloud, cloud backups, and external Seagate drive.

Fast. Simple. Secure. Your currency under your control. www.geticoin.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:30:09 PM

That depends on which software you are using for each currency. I'm not experienced in altcoins, so I can only give you advice on BTC.

I use Multibit, and so having a portable wallet requires the files multibit.wallet, multibit.info and the folder multibit-data.

Maybe you need to configure your clients with the path to your flash drive so they can find the wallets.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 02:14:06 AM

The wallet if usually kept separate from the install files, so you can update your wallet without issues. Look at your user in your system.

Electrum, I think that MultiBit too, has a portable version that keeps the wallet files in the USB key where the executable is.

Electrum also lets you have the same wallet in different installations/computers.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:53:01 AM

Hey everybody, this post could technically be filed under the Bitcoin section, but I have only 1 BTC and LTC wallet, and the rest are alt currencies. I also have a feeling my issue isn't with any particular currency, but moreso the way I'm downloading or accessing my wallets. Here is my issue below..

I use an encrypted IronKey flashdrive for all my wallets. When I originally downloaded the wallets, it was on my laptop. I believe I saved the initial folder just in my 'Downloads' tab, and when I unzipped them, I did so in the flash drive.

When I plug my flash drive into my laptop, voilla, there are my coins in all their glory.

When I plug my flash drive into my desktop, dud, all my wallets appear to be brand new. No coins, no transaction history, no wallet address, etc...

My question is what can I do so I can simply plug my flash drive into ANY computer and all my coins will be there? That was my intent in using the flash drive in the first place Wink If it helps at all, I've done wallet backups to the cloud via Google Drive, I don't really ever save anything to my computer's hard drives, only cloud, cloud backups, and external Seagate drive.

First by wallet I mean the file that holds your private keys not the client software that you use to access that file i.e. not bitcoin/litecoin-qt

You do realize that your wallet is the key to spending your coins? Plugging your wallet into all sorts of computers is just asking for trouble.

Anyway FYI your wallet is currently on your laptop not on your flash drive. The only thing on your flash drive is the software. You can find out the location of your wallet on your laptop's hard drive by referring to this page:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

The file is wallet.dat

For bitcoin, Electrum has a portable build that you could try. Another possibility is blockchain.info's mywallet (can't believe I am saying this Roll Eyes ). Don't know about litecoin. Fact remains portable wallets are a bad idea. Once your coins are gone they are gone. No central authority to turn to for justice.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 10:58:57 AM

I wouldn't trust the flashdrive either. It can die on you any minute.
So, please backup the wallet(s) on at least one other flashdrive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: