Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:44:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would Bitcoin for wetware be like?  (Read 1665 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 05:04:34 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2011, 06:21:16 AM by TiagoTiago

How different would Bitcoin be if it was designed to be handled completly by humans?

Can the proof of work dificulty be tweaked to an extreme such that regular people with spare time could solve blocks with pen and paper? How would the network work with people exchanging and copying sheets of paper? Would it be possible to get reliable confirmation of transfers in less than a day? What would need to be changed and what would work just the way it is?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 05:57:06 AM

You could just put your transaction in the newspaper to get the ordering guarantees that the block chain provides, though without the crypto. A Bitcoin-like system is probably not possible: A simplified proof-of-work could be done by hand, I suppose, but cryptographic signing is more difficult. The cost of transaction and block verification would be especially limiting.

Time per confirmation is limited by the latency between miners. If all miners are located in a small area and are using couriers, a few confirmations per day could be supported.

Unless the proof-of-work is massively easier for humans than computers, the system could not withstand an attack by computers.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 05:59:56 AM

This is fun to think about. What would make a good human proof of work?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 06:05:52 AM

Look to Captchas for inspiration. Basically anything a human can do easily which a computer cannot.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 06:07:56 AM

Look to Captchas for inspiration. Basically anything a human can do easily which a computer cannot.

Make love to a Thai ladyboy?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 06:17:44 AM

The proof-of-work needs to be easily verifiable. I don't think anything exists yet.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 06:20:26 AM

A funny joke.

For linking to the previous joke the last noun in joke n must be the first noun in joke n+1.

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 06:38:17 AM

The question of human-performable cryptographic signing (and while not necessary for bitcoin, encryption) is also an interesting one that I've batted around casually without success.  Making use of an external visual aid seems quite promising but the important thing is coming up with a method not revealed to an adversary who can see where you're looking.  If I ever get the kinks figured out I would seriously consider getting the visual aid as a tattoo.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 06:45:32 AM

Don' forget we need a system with tweakable difficulty so the distributed system would automaticly adapt itself to adjust for changes in the ammount of miners, new block solving means (depending on how block solving works, someone might figure out some new algorithm to make it more easilly solvable, even for things done by humans) etc

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
ryepdx

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 07:27:29 AM

Make love to a Thai ladyboy?

Sounds good. They have those on Newegg, right?
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 12:03:51 PM

The transactions of a block are encoded into a bouldering problem, that can be replicated on standardised indoor climbing walls anywhere in the world.

The first climber to crack the problem in a public competition confirms the block, and gets to keep the transaction fees.

video of a climber "solving" such a problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxH3Mc07xcE

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
ryepdx

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 01:39:32 AM

The transactions of a block are encoded into a bouldering problem, that can be replicated on standardised indoor climbing walls anywhere in the world.

The first climber to crack the problem in a public competition confirms the block, and gets to keep the transaction fees.

video of a climber "solving" such a problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxH3Mc07xcE

+1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: