Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:38:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox SCAM? $38million disappeared. Large sums affected.  (Read 38099 times)
Kiah07

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:16:03 AM

So I'm guessing we're not getting litecoin integration?   Grin
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:22:55 AM

Mt Gox in a nutshell:

-You can deposit BTC or fiat
-You can trade BTC vs Fiat
-You CANT withdraw BTC or fiat

so you are basically trading with playomoney and the real BTC and fiat is going to some other account?

Feels like kind of ponzi scheme to me...
papamoi

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:30:53 AM

so when they are bankrupting officialy?Huh
TheDailyBitcoin

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 03:58:24 AM

I wrote a whole article about this.

http://www.thedailycrypto.com/2014/02/mt-gox-halting-all-withdrawls-bitcoin.html

I really think we need to start up some new exchanges....
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:01:19 AM

I wrote a whole article about this.

http://www.thedailycrypto.com/2014/02/mt-gox-halting-all-withdrawls-bitcoin.html

I really think we need to start up some new exchanges....

Step 1. Move out of US
Step 2. Discard your US citizenship
Step 3. ...
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:07:41 AM

LOL for the first time ever 1 BTC is more expensive at BTC-E than MtGox!

MtGox: 665 USD
BTC-e:  700 USD

It could mean that people are selling their bitcoins at mtgox to withdraw their fiat money, if they are lucky.
seriouscoin

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:11:16 AM

LOL for the first time ever 1 BTC is more expensive at BTC-E than MtGox!

MtGox: 665 USD
BTC-e:  700 USD

It could mean that people are selling their bitcoins at mtgox to withdraw their fiat money, if they are lucky.

This "crash" brings a good cause.... GOX is DONE for good.
I say, fck them. And if Mark is smart, he better have facial surgery and change his name.
Tzakato

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:06:54 AM

Just looked at BitcoinAverage, MtGox still holds 33% of the BTC/USD and 55% of the BTC/EUR market volume. Either people are really dumb or just trading like crazy because they know they won't see their money back anyway. Hopefully this will be less soon.
freebitcoinwin

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 11:33:38 AM

Anybody was able to withdraw from Mt.Gox
Test User

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

Miner and technician

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:00:04 PM

Here's a possible explanation as to the "technical" issues that MtGox has been suffering.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x93tf/some_irc_chatter_about_what_is_going_on_at_mtgox/

In short, Mt Gox wrote their own custom wallet software, which only worked because of a bug in early versions of bitcoin. The bug was fixed in a recent release. This would cause transactions sent from Gox to fail.

A group of people, thinking that they were being helpful set up relay servers that would take the transactions from Gox, fix them to work around the bug, and then rebroadcast the fixed transactions. The transactions could reuse the same signature (as they were the same transaction), but would be allocated a new TxID.

A second bug in Gox's wallet meant that their wallet client only checked it's own TxIDs, and never scanned the blockchain for other TxIDs on its coins. As a result, it is possible that the wallet ran dry, but the actual wallet client didn't notice, and transactions would block because of attempted double-spend.

Donations welcome - BTC: 1f52PwRLHkN4w5uBY6EccKiDYqpLkh13y     DOGE: DCg65AKPG76X5LEtWCqfyRj4a6apYRHR8j
Trust: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=432215.0
AndersAA

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:54:37 PM

Here's a possible explanation as to the "technical" issues that MtGox has been suffering.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x93tf/some_irc_chatter_about_what_is_going_on_at_mtgox/

In short, Mt Gox wrote their own custom wallet software, which only worked because of a bug in early versions of bitcoin. The bug was fixed in a recent release. This would cause transactions sent from Gox to fail.

A group of people, thinking that they were being helpful set up relay servers that would take the transactions from Gox, fix them to work around the bug, and then rebroadcast the fixed transactions. The transactions could reuse the same signature (as they were the same transaction), but would be allocated a new TxID.

A second bug in Gox's wallet meant that their wallet client only checked it's own TxIDs, and never scanned the blockchain for other TxIDs on its coins. As a result, it is possible that the wallet ran dry, but the actual wallet client didn't notice, and transactions would block because of attempted double-spend.

Yeah, even though Gox will have a hard time regaining the trust lost over the past months, I'm at 70-80% that this issue is indeed mostly a technical one. It seems plausible - though the resulting chaos might turn a stumble into a fall.

Also the "simple" explanation seems to be that transactions with multiple inputs are more likely to run into a double-spend and not being relayed to the blockchain. It's kinda obvious if this is what's going on - when a 1BTC withdrawal from Gox draws from 50 addresses it is much more likely that the withdrawal will fail due to one of the inputs already used on the blockchain. This doesn't mean Gox doesn't have 1BTC - it just means Gox doesn't have 1BTC on the address it thought it did.
I just don't get why they haven't unforked their crappy spinoff yet. It'll cost them millions in bad PR.

When under pressure it's always better to use something tested as the core and build on top of that. In IS development it is ALWAYS better and cheaper to do it right the first time around.
Ilsk
Legendary

Activity: 833
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:12:29 PM

The only good thing about this situation is that now Mtgox is the most secure wallet in the world, in fact it is 100%impossible for an hacker to take your money from your gox wallet.

I think I am going to put all of my btc on gox right now, I love such a level of security.
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:39:56 PM

The only good thing about this situation is that now Mtgox is the most secure wallet in the world, in fact it is 100%impossible for an hacker to take your money from your gox wallet.

I think I am going to put all of my btc on gox right now, I love such a level of security.

Not that secure if they already stole the coins   Undecided
starmex

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:50:50 PM

mtgox is dead. NO withdrawals for both fiat and bitcoins.

I would gladly sell my bitcoins on mtgox for 85% its current value if anyone is interested.
AndersAA

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:55:31 PM

I would gladly sell my bitcoins on mtgox for 70% its current value if anyone is interested.

^^And that's why the price is dropping like crazy.

I wonder if people have started selling off their Gox accounts for 50% to people who still trust them. Personally I think that'd be a good gamble. Not interested in actually doing it though Smiley
WuttWutt

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:58:30 PM

I would gladly sell my bitcoins on mtgox for 85% its current value if anyone is interested.
i offer 10%
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:42:33 PM

Damn this is why BTC value is dropping...
Why now??? I know I'm just starting a big invest in mining material...

I really have no luck with timing.
It will go back up. The problem is not bitcoin itself but one of the exchanges. People selling now are mostly those running away from gox. They want to switch to fiat so in case Gox goes to hell they can at least sue them for currency theft. Whatever happens to Gox the price will recover eventually, the investors will just move to other exchanges.

Revelations86

Activity: 428
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:49:20 PM

Please have some common sense.  These fraudsters plain out robbed people of $38 million because they knew they could get away with it.  The only theft that occurred was an internal theft at their own hands.  All the $$$ they were getting from the transaction fees and artificially manipulating the price of Bitcoin wasn't enough.  Greed will be the downfall of this movement not the regulators.

Thankfully, as soon as I saw the $100 discrepancy between MT GOX and the rest of the exchanges back in December, I knew something was off and stayed the hell away from GOX.  
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:54:17 PM

Good News! You are probably wrong.   Smiley

Please have some common sense.  These fraudsters plain out robbed people of $38 million because they knew they could get away with it.  The only theft that occurred was an internal theft at their own hands.  All the $$$ they were getting from the transaction fees and artificially manipulating the price of Bitcoin wasn't enough.  Greed will be the downfall of this movement not the regulators.

Thankfully, as soon as I saw the $100 discrepancy between MT GOX and the rest of the exchanges back in December, I knew something was off and stayed the hell away from GOX.  

It's a technical issue they are not stealing that much money.

freebitcoinwin

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:45:59 PM

As much as I dislike Mt. Gox for their serial incompetence and communication failures, they’re not insolvent or frauds. No evidence of that
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: