Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:39:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this possible? Mix match between two compters power supply  (Read 1003 times)
lightlord (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3226
Merit: 1226

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 08:31:42 AM

I have jumped a power supply; and ran it to my second ati 6950 in my computer and worked fine; but this power supply died about a week later; kinda bad luck. But I have something interesting I thought of; in my other computer I have two ati 6770 in it; and they require one 6 pin power connector instead of two like the ati 6950s. And this power supply has 4 of them; and i am only using two of them. Could I in theory put my computer next to this computer; and use the other power supply in the other computer that is running the ati 6770; and use the two spare into the single ati 6950?

Is the cross power supply between two computers a issue? would it work? In plain theory; a power supply provides just power; so it should work; Never thought of this; just came to mind.

Its a 750 Watts power supply; should work with two ati 6770 + one ati 6950; and I have a low wattage cpu; like 65 watts; not 125watts; so that should make some difference. And some research shows that with two ati 6770 there is just enough room for the ati 6950; And i can just under clock it worse comes to worse. Better then not running.

It would look interesting; like seeing two desktops together; and one power supply powering the two ati 6770; and the 1 ati 6950 in the other computer. The other computer has two ati 6950; but the power supply in it only has two 6 pin connectors; not four; so i have to borrow from some other power supply. I just hope that this cross between two computers won't cause some sort of conflict and cause it to both get fried or something; losing $1500.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 08:56:21 AM

Your PSU may have died due to not loading the 5V/3.3V rails...if you read the specs on most PSU's they require a minimum current otherwise the power is dissipated internally in the PSU.  Over time (could be hours or weeks) it causes the PSU components to fail.  Some people suggest powering the HDD from the secondary PSU in order to load the rail which I think is a good idea (prevents having to wire power resistors to the rail).

I would see no problem in doing what you suggest, although, I would recommend a few things.  First, make sure to have a common ground between the rigs (as short as possible to prevent ground loops).  Second, use a molex powered riser on the GPU's that are not on the same PSU as the Mobo and power them from the same PSU as the 6pin connected to them (this is how I am running my rig that has a secondary PSU). 

The best way is always to use one big PSU but I believe there is very little difference between using a multi-rail PSU or 2 properly connected PSU's.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: