Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:06:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If crypto market manipulation exists, what is its main source?  (Read 142 times)
Hydrogen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 07:59:55 AM

Here is a screenshot of an interesting post made on this forum in november 2017.

It claims the main source of price manipulation is not tether. But rather crypto exchanges which charge 0% commission fees on trades, allowing traders with multiple accounts to buy and sell to themselves in an effort to manipulate price, without incurring losses which would normally discourage this type of price manipulation.

There are two angles to this which could be of interest. The first is the media story about tether manipulating bitcoin's price could represent a distraction, a misinformation campaign designed to misinform people as to what the real sources of crypto market manipulation are.

The second angle is one where recent news stories about exchanges being hacked are not the main cause of bitcoin's price depreciating. But rather there could be some form of market manipulation whereby exchanges which charge 0% commissions on trades are being utilized in an effort to drag bitcoin's price down.

What could support the second claim is the lack of negative trading whenever a bank or credit card company is hacked. They do experience price downturns but if I am remembering right, it is nowhere near the 10% or so losses we see from bitcoin when an exchange is compromised.

I'm throwing this out there as it appears to be a neglected perspective and one which might be deserving of greater consideration.

Thoughts on this--please share.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hydrogen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 05:24:36 AM

***bump***

Would like a response to this.

Bitcoin's current price decline could represent market manipulation fueled by 0% commission exchanges.
davis196

Activity: 2954
Merit: 904

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:12:54 AM

Crypto exchanges that offer 0% commission are too small to have such influence over the market.
They can be used to manipulate BCH or some other small and centralized altcoin,but bitcoin is just too big.
There`s no way for the fake trading volume to overcome the real market demand.Some exchange might pump the btc price to 100K with fake buy/sell orders,but this will lead to many people opening accounts there just to deposit and sell their btc at that price.The increased supply will colide with the fake demand and the price will go back to the real level.
Anyway,I still believe that a union of bitcoin millionaires,who own 20-30% of all BTC can manipulate the price.

embargo

Activity: 266
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:19:28 AM

Now everything is quite simple. Trade in bitcoin futures is an excellent tool for full control over the prices of crypto currency. In fact, the value of the digital asset is regulated by the asset of the asset.
thomas.sgat
Copper Member

Activity: 142

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 09:19:31 AM

Here is an interesting topic on which you can have arguments about manipulation;)
I advise you to read it. It's very interesting.

https://medium.com/@super.crypto1/4th-dimension-bitcoin-manipulation-cartel-can-it-be-burnt-no-way-c53de65c166a

keycellko

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 01:38:05 PM

I could say price manipulation does exist in the crypto industry. The SEC are looking into this and will make sure this will be stopped. There has been a lot of speculations of who are manipulating the rise and fall of bitcoin price. Before, the whales were mostly what i heard about and just recently due to these hacking incidents, i also heard that it is all but a downplay by these exchanges and clearly a manipulation.
webtricks
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 03:59:21 PM

Do you really think users are doing Price Manipulation just because few of the exchanges offering zero fees trades. Well, I am not convinced of this. As far as trading fees is concerned, I never seen more than 0.5% fees on any exchange (most of the exchanges have 0.20% - 0.25%). So there is hardly any difference that 20 cents on $100 make when users are doing manipulation with the view of pumping/dumping price at least 5-10%.
I strongly feel there are more than one reasons why Price Manipulation is outgoing at high pace in crypto niche. As far as exchanges are concerned, according to me biggest reason of manipulation is Trade Bots. Did you try putting order on exchanges like HitBTC and Cryptopia and as soon as you put order, 2-3 sell orders at price 1-2 sats lesser than your appear? And if you try to remove your order, those orders also get disappear. Such malpractices are more prominent reason for Price Manipulation than zero trading fees.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 04:11:38 PM

I agree with many arguments that the fall in prices is the result of manipulation. But in order to trade with linked accounts it is not necessary that the Commission is 0%. On all major exchanges in a fee of 0.01%. With large volumes, there are still discounts. Do you think this will stop a lot of capital? The drop in the price of a few hundred dollars compensate for all the losses.
Crystal24

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 10:53:07 AM

What i:'m very sure of is that price manipulations exist in the cryptocurrency space.
stayeduptolate

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 09:06:51 AM

Here is a screenshot of an interesting post made on this forum in november 2017.

It claims the main source of price manipulation is not tether. But rather crypto exchanges which charge 0% commission fees on trades, allowing traders with multiple accounts to buy and sell to themselves in an effort to manipulate price, without incurring losses which would normally discourage this type of price manipulation.

There are two angles to this which could be of interest. The first is the media story about tether manipulating bitcoin's price could represent a distraction, a misinformation campaign designed to misinform people as to what the real sources of crypto market manipulation are.

The second angle is one where recent news stories about exchanges being hacked are not the main cause of bitcoin's price depreciating. But rather there could be some form of market manipulation whereby exchanges which charge 0% commissions on trades are being utilized in an effort to drag bitcoin's price down.

What could support the second claim is the lack of negative trading whenever a bank or credit card company is hacked. They do experience price downturns but if I am remembering right, it is nowhere near the 10% or so losses we see from bitcoin when an exchange is compromised.

I'm throwing this out there as it appears to be a neglected perspective and one which might be deserving of greater consideration.

Thoughts on this--please share.
I think we all are aware of this fact that the market of crypto currency is not fixed and I think it could not even fix ever and is always subject to flactuation and there are many factors that governs the market and the valuation of crypto currency and most importantly its investors are the key fact who plays major crucial role in governing the valuation and market of crypto currency, higher the number of investors and higher they are investing into market, then higher will be demand and higher will be valuation and vice versa.
jeronimosuykens

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2018, 06:44:28 AM

Do you really think users are doing Price Manipulation just because few of the exchanges offering zero fees trades. Well, I am not convinced of this. As far as trading fees is concerned, I never seen more than 0.5% fees on any exchange (most of the exchanges have 0.20% - 0.25%). So there is hardly any difference that 20 cents on $100 make when users are doing manipulation with the view of pumping/dumping price at least 5-10%.
I strongly feel there are more than one reasons why Price Manipulation is outgoing at high pace in crypto niche. As far as exchanges are concerned, according to me biggest reason of manipulation is Trade Bots. Did you try putting order on exchanges like HitBTC and Cryptopia and as soon as you put order, 2-3 sell orders at price 1-2 sats lesser than your appear? And if you try to remove your order, those orders also get disappear. Such malpractices are more prominent reason for Price Manipulation than zero trading fees.
It absolutely can happen. Every action of the bosses is to have tools and robots support that operation. And for a normal user it is very difficult to be as fast as they are programmed for fast transactions and fast payoff.
Very disadvantage for new investors and small investors.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: