Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:08:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IPDC - War on drugs a failure  (Read 180 times)
bluefirecorp_ (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 09:15:32 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/21/health/drug-report-un-failure-intl/index.html

Woo! Now let's see some drugs become legalized here in the states.  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2018, 10:47:58 AM

Fake News Network aside, this is finally a subject I agree with you on. The drug war is a failure. We need legalization, standardization, and medical treatment of addiction, not criminal treatment.
The_Tick

Activity: 70
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 02:12:28 PM

Scarcity raises value. People are more likely to go apeshit over things that they're not supposed to have access to, which is why legalization is and free access is always the way to go.

BUT, drugs are not the problem, people are. The modern educational system does not prepare people for a happy, healthy life. It barely, if at all, touches on how to cultivate psychological, physical and spiritual health, money-management habits, how to take intelligent risks or think for one's self..

We need a restructuring of society to provide for health in all its forms. We need to start creating a society based on human needs rather than treating people like livestock. I have hope in the future thanks to things like bitcoin, AI, decentralization and other means of democratizing the world and allowing for better human health on all levels. Focus should always be placed on treating the root cause of the symptoms. Drug use is an epidemic that is created, and can be cured by people.
joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 02:40:08 PM

Fake News Network aside, this is finally a subject I agree with you on. The drug war is a failure. We need legalization, standardization, and medical treatment of addiction, not criminal treatment.
In all my life, there has been only one instance where the war on drugs actually worked and it was the President of the Philippines Dueterte who was able to make it work. And I say if we really want to win the war on drugs that's the only way to.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
fortresscoin

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 06:32:29 PM

Mexico’s drug traffickers (before they qualified as cartels) filled the void the Colombian cartels left in the 1990s.  There was ample workers and land and the politicians didn’t bother dealing with it or were being paid off.  The Philippines is not inheriting a trafficking  from Colombia like Mexico did and Duterte is attacking way before it balloons (whether or not it it would ever have deserved such a crackdown, and he’s just using it as a platform to justify dictator tactics). 
So how do we measure failure?  Seems that in Mexico it’s mostly failed due to ongoing violence.  In the US it’s mostly failed due to ongoing demand.  In the Philippines it may have succeeded only because it was attacked (justifiably or not) so early on.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 09:35:28 PM

Drugs should be legalised. People should be free to do what they want with their bodies, provided they do not impact on the wellbeing of others, including obvious things like stealing and violence, but also less obvious things like using their disability/welfare check to buy drugs or driving up healthcare costs. I abhor addicts, but if you want to ruin your life on drugs, we shouldn't be wasting tax money and police time on stopping you, provided you do not infringe or impact on anyone else.

The reason drugs are classified as they are is largely historical. If alcohol was discovered today, it would at least be a Schedule II drug. I would refer to the following paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17382831. The authors ranked a number of drugs on the harm they caused in nine categories across the domains of physical harm, social harm, and dependence. It produced some interesting results (the A, B and C class is using the British System, roughly equivalent to Schedule I, II and III in the US):

Interesting to see that cannabis, ecstasy and LSD all rank below tobacco and well below alcohol. From a personal and professional point of view, of all the patients I treat, alcohol is by far the biggest contributor to morbidity and mortality.
fortresscoin

Activity: 31
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 22, 2018, 10:19:10 PM

Since alcohol is such a contributor to morbidity and morality, wouldn’t legalising drugs make heroin and cocaine the new alcohol?  So now all the extra taxes the government collects it spends on cleaning up addicts?  Seems like wishful thinking that more legalising drugs thereby making more addicts will somehow NOT affect society negatively as they mingle amongst us and our families around town on an LSD high.   
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2018, 05:26:00 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2018, 06:16:38 AM by TECSHARE

Since alcohol is such a contributor to morbidity and morality, wouldn’t legalising drugs make heroin and cocaine the new alcohol?  So now all the extra taxes the government collects it spends on cleaning up addicts?  Seems like wishful thinking that more legalising drugs thereby making more addicts will somehow NOT affect society negatively as they mingle amongst us and our families around town on an LSD high.  

What do the police do with intoxicated people (of any substance) wandering the streets now? There people are already all around you guy, and you don't even realize it, unless you live in like Singapore or Saudi Arabia.
markdario112616

Activity: 816
Merit: 133

View Profile
October 24, 2018, 11:26:24 AM

Woo! Now let's see some drugs become legalized here in the states.  Roll Eyes

In all my life, there has been only one instance where the war on drugs actually worked and it was the President of the Philippines Dueterte who was able to make it work. And I say if we really want to win the war on drugs that's the only way to.

Well, to begin with there are still a lot of lapses in this War on Drugs campaign set by the Duterte administration. It's actually not a success nor a failure hence a work in progress. Duterte's campaign is indeed a great plan although this campaign has also been re-directed by false information and some of the corrupt authorities did took advantage on some of the lapses of this campaign.

*OPLAN TOKHANG - Is it really successful? Well, It somehow lessen the crime related incident but the count of deaths did rose. Why? Our authorities did took advantage of it, Even though a lot of the killings were legitimate there are still numbers of incident in which the cops cannot provide concrete evidences to support their claim, in which they come to the point the cops do plant evidences (It has been a norm here in the Philippines, it has been a practice) to avoid the possible violations.

Also, Please note that even President Duterte did say that the Drug industry in the Philippines is Big as he could have imagined. So saying that, We already won the War on Drugs, Nah, We are still so far from winning.

In addition, The drug industry here in the Philippines is held by some of our Politicians. So, technically, when President Duterte's term ends, No wonder that this Hoodlums would literally take over and continue on with their businesses.

The campaign is only making them less productive not to end them. (As much I and a lot of Filipinos want to but it's the sad reality, This drug industry can't be stopped.)

PS: I'm not against nor pro Duterte, hence I'm just an ordinary citizen, enjoying a can of tuna with rice while watching "Ang probinsyano" (Local primetime TV show) Cheesy
Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
October 29, 2018, 04:14:44 PM

I would be surprised if Duterte was a drug kingpin himself, and he is using this "war on drugs" to murder his competition

That's how the war on drugs works in America... the pharmaceutical companies create the "legal" drugs, and suppress the competition (cannabis, etc)... they pay the politicians to keep the competitive drugs illegal, and imprison dealers/users of drugs which they don't make
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: