Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:54:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bit-Pay Video! Alison and Ashly demonstrate Mobile Checkout  (Read 6106 times)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 11:52:04 PM

The advantage of not having fees does not materialize for the client, so he's unlikely to care that the shop is saving money. The customer drives the demand for a payment method - the shops are forced to follow or loose market share. The shops would get rid of credit cards in a hart beat if they could get the customers to pay with cash.

If a merchant can save X% by accepting Bitcoin instead of Visa (due to combined CC fees plus chargeback fraud), then one might imagine merchants will lower their prices by X-Y% to anyone paying in Bitcoin. Thus, the savings for the merchant will start being split between the merchant and the customer. A customer may get to pay 1-2% less for products when using Bitcoin.

So aside of the phony geek appeal, what does this system offer to the customer ? Credit cards offer interest free loans for up to 2 months, emergency funding past that period, and money back guarantee. Bitcoin offers final indisputable transactions  - why do you think customers will prefer it ?

Status Quo: A world where every time you shop with a vendor, you expose your financial and identity information. You must trust their systems, staff, and intentions. Sony customers have been enjoying this risk. In 2009 there were over 10 million US adults who were victims of identity theft...

Bitcoin Alternative: A world where every time you shop, exactly zero of your financial and identity information is exposed. Vendor doesn't even need to know your name, let alone address, CC number, etc.

I prefer the Bitcoin Alternative to the Status Quo. Why don't you?

Don't even get me started on the clunky desktop client that kills your harddrive.

Few people will use desktop clients for day-to-day Bitcoin use. Ewallet and online banks will serve that purpose on a PC and mobile apps serve the purpose on handheld devices.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 06:45:29 AM

The advantage of not having fees does not materialize for the client, so he's unlikely to care that the shop is saving money. The customer drives the demand for a payment method - the shops are forced to follow or loose market share. The shops would get rid of credit cards in a hart beat if they could get the customers to pay with cash.

So aside of the phony geek appeal, what does this system offer to the customer ? Credit cards offer interest free loans for up to 2 months, emergency funding past that period, and money back guarantee. Bitcoin offers final indisputable transactions  - why do you think customers will prefer it ? Don't even get me started on the clunky desktop client that kills your harddrive.

I can tell you exactly why customers AND merchants will prefer it for online payments.

I've spent the last 10 days trying to order two Android tablets from Alibaba express with my credit card that has a California billing address.
I'm trying to have one tablet shipped to myself in Tokyo,  and another to a developer in New York.
Alibaba seems to think that my order is CC fraud in action.   I've submitted copies of my Passport,  my local government ID,  photos of the Credit card itself,  photocopies of the Credit card statement that was sent through the mail, and more.   All of these have been submitted multiple times,  yet they still keep canceling my order due to fraud concerns!  I've wasted several hours of my life trying to convince them that I am not a scammer with a stolen credit card.  
If I had been allowed to pay with Bitcoins,   none of these problems would have existed.   I would already have my tablets,   and Alibaba and myself would have saved hours of time!  Instead,  I am still waiting to see if they will accept the last batch of documents I submitted.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 07:07:17 AM

So aside of the phony geek appeal, what does this system offer to the customer ? Credit cards offer interest free loans for up to 2 months, emergency funding past that period, and money back guarantee. Bitcoin offers final indisputable transactions  - why do you think customers will prefer it ? Don't even get me started on the clunky desktop client that kills your harddrive.

I can tell you exactly why customers AND merchants will prefer it for online payments.

I've spent the last 10 days trying to order two Android tablets from Alibaba express with my credit card that has a California billing address.
I'm trying to have one tablet shipped to myself in Tokyo,  and another to a developer in New York.
Alibaba seems to think that my order is CC fraud in action.   I've submitted copies of my Passport,  my local government ID,  photos of the Credit card itself,  photocopies of the Credit card statement that was sent through the mail, and more.   All of these have been submitted multiple times,  yet they still keep canceling my order due to fraud concerns!  I've wasted several hours of my life trying to convince them that I am not a scammer with a stolen credit card.  
If I had been allowed to pay with Bitcoins,   none of these problems would have existed.   I would already have my tablets,   and Alibaba and myself would have saved hours of time!  Instead,  I am still waiting to see if they will accept the last batch of documents I submitted.

On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées.
ahbritto

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

Ripple

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 06:17:17 PM

This is from the next version of our Introduction to Bitcoin:

Consumers Love Bitcoin
There are lots of reasons for consumers love Bitcoin:
  • Easier Checkout
    Paying with Bitcoins is easier than using a credit card at check out. Unlike a credit card, with Bitcoins, you don’t need to fill out a credit card number, an expiration date, a card holder name, or a CCV.
  • Cheaper Prices
    Merchants typically pay from 2% to 3% in credit card transaction fees. Merchants who accept Bitcoins will be able to avoid credit card fees and can pass these savings on to consumers.
  • Increased Privacy
    With Bitcoin, you only provide the necessary information to the merchant. For example, if the product is not being shipped to you, you don’t need to give the merchant your address.
  • Increased Security
    With Bitcoin, you directly pay merchants and just like with cash there is no need to give them any payment information that can be lost, stolen, or used to make unauthorized charges.
  • Using Bitcoins Increases their Value
    If you have some Bitcoin saved, you can make them more valuable by using Bitcoins. Using Bitcoins increases their demand which in turn increases the value of your saved Bitcoins.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: