Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:51:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My concerns with Bitcoin7 and Tradehill  (Read 4110 times)
ezl

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:21:52 AM

bitcoin7 is "operating unlicensed and therefore illegally (in their jurisdiction)"

What licenses are required to operate a bitcoin exchange in the United States?

Especially given that BTC aren't recognized as a currency, aren't they just the equivalent of people buying/selling WoW gold on eBay?

Also, does TH have whatever the appropriate licences are?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:27:36 AM

IMHO exchanging between fiat currencies requires a license, selling series of 0s and 1s does not Grin

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 10:50:37 AM

There is definitely something about Mt. Gox to copy. Quick comparison of main layout elements, obviously showing things being copied:

Now I am not a particular supporter of copyright law as it stands, but I do believe that you can't simply copy the entire design (and make a few changes) for commercial purposes, especially not for a relatively lucrative business.

The thing about referal programs is just based on what I have experienced in the past few years, from an "internet user" viewpoint. It's all great that you look at it from an "ecommerce guy" viewpoint, but it's the "regular internet users" that have to deal with the consequences - and from a "regular internet user" viewpoint I've found that I (and many others with me) have usually found companies that rely this heavily on referal systems, are often shady in one way or another.

I understand your point about physical location, but I tried to make a point about American vs West-European mostly. I don't think that for example a UK-based business would be any different from a US-based business in that regard.

LOL I think this conversation is over.

I have proved my points exactly.

The Western European vs American argument is completely erroneous to the topic were discussing

oh and by the way, bringing those screenshots was a waste of effort on your part and did not help your case at all LOL

Cheers buddy

TradeHill is an American company?

I am tired of trying to decipher Magical Tux's thick Jap accent  Roll Eyes

Yes sir! The management are Americans based in Chile, and the programming and design team in Washington, DC.
Why so hostile? I'm having to try a proper discussion and you resort to laughing and ridiculing, that's not really going to help.

Well, Chile is in America too - just not in the "United States"!

Anyways - calling a completely basic design (horizontal + vertical navbar, company name in the footer(!)...) a ripoff is a bit much in my opinion.
People are used to this layout from MtGox - why suddenly swith to something completely new and out-of-the-box, just to be different?!
My point is not that it's similar, but that it's practically identical. The tradehill layout is basically the Mt. Gox layout/design with a color change, a font size change, some changes in the text, a different logo, and the exchange rate bar removed. The menu (with the shadow effect thing) for example is a dead giveaway.

bitcoin7 is "operating unlicensed and therefore illegally (in their jurisdiction)"

What licenses are required to operate a bitcoin exchange in the United States?

Especially given that BTC aren't recognized as a currency, aren't they just the equivalent of people buying/selling WoW gold on eBay?

Also, does TH have whatever the appropriate licences are?

Also making claims that someone is operating "illegally" is quite easy - especially with BTC there's not that much regulated or available, as it is a relatively new field of operations. It's very often not sure for example if BTC are "money", "goods" or anything else.
This claim was in regards to the various non-Bitcoin currencies that were used. Again I can't recall in exactly what thread it was (and the forum is too slow now for me to go look for it), but someone pointed out that under their jurisdiction they would be operation illegally because of the other currencies, not because of Bitcoin.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:27:50 PM

Tradehill has no doubt emulated some aspects of mtgox's design, which I think was to give the users a sense of familiarity. But to accuse them of "copying" the design, is simply ridiculous. Similarity in terms of functionality and appearance between TH and mtgox is about 20% at most.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Aggro
Donator

Activity: 296

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:31:00 PM

Bitcoin7:

* Hard to track down who is behind it

just wondering do you know who is behind mtgox or btcex?

Of course, Mark Karpleles (MagicalTux) runs MTGox. He is a very well known member of the community, let alone the fact that everybody knows his real name, and where his company is located.

Roberto
dr.bitcoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:39:38 AM

people, don't kid yourselves... legal/illegal, jurisdiction, who's behind what... c'mon!
bitcoin is NEW. there's no case law involving it. NOBODY knows if it's legal or not...
in the US of A, trading gold online was legal until a judge ruled that e-gold :-) was... illegal!
same with other jurisdictions... PLEASE... wishful thinking is NOT reality...

I would rather trust an exchange running over TOR or incorporated in a "safe jurisdiction" than an US LLC which can get a subpoena any day...
with the Panama company, worst case scenario I lose my bitcoins...
with the US LLC, I may end up with the feds at my door!

maybe Gavin can straighten it out with the CIA?
dr.bitcoin

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:43:51 AM

reality check: why do you think liberty reserve and pecunix are NOT incorporated in the US / EU?
take a deep breath and think about it...
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 08:03:47 AM

people, don't kid yourselves... legal/illegal, jurisdiction, who's behind what... c'mon!
bitcoin is NEW. there's no case law involving it. NOBODY knows if it's legal or not...
As I have said at least two times by now, I am talking about other (fiat) currencies that can be exchanged for each other, not about Bitcoins.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
fxgmblr

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 03:42:08 AM

both places look shady, probably run by single users, not some real "company"
dr.bitcoin

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:05:06 AM

joepie91, can you please explain what exactly it is that you're asking?
dr.bitcoin

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 06:06:53 AM

fxgmblr, MtGox is ONE person, Mark (aka MtGox).
why don't you ask Citibank or BoA if they would take your bitcoins  Grin
TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 07:08:46 AM

Personally I don't see a problem with copying the content of things like TOS or FAQ ect...  from places with a proven track record.  They tend to cover all the bases a business would need to know about to be a success.  I definately wouldn't do a cut n paste, but copying content such as features, services, information ect. saves time and headache for businesses starting up.

It happens every day.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: