Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:14:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet addresses in signature  (Read 750 times)
GAML (OP)

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:13:16 PM

Hi

I read all the rules I can find and searched online about this question before I posted.  I see many people have wallet addresses in their signature.  Is this for people to send them tips?  Am I allowed to put a wallet in my sig and ask for tips if someone thinks I have been helpful, informative, funny or nice?  Or is this not allowed?

Also can putting a wallet address in sig be a security risk.  Could someone us that address against you in some way to steal from you.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my question.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:15:01 PM

Yes, you can do it.

If someone know your bitcoin address, they could check the tx to and from your address, but they cannot steal bitcoin from it.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:42:56 PM

Also can putting a wallet address in sig be a security risk.  Could someone us that address against you in some way to steal from you.

It is a anonymity risk.

They can see all transactions that you ever receive at that address and what addresses you send those bitcoins to in the future.  Depending on the wallet you are using, they may be able to link that address to other addresses in your wallet and determine how much total bitcoins you are controlling, who is sending them to you, and where you are sending them to.

Only you can decide if this loss of privacy matters to you.

It is a "best practice" to use a new bitcoin address for every transaction.  This reduces the privacy issues, and increases security slightly.
GAML (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:44:59 PM

Thanks Danny and Sonny.  That was really helpful.

krishatnet

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:46:55 PM

Yes you can put your wallet address in your signature. Nobody can steal your coins.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 04:47:41 PM

Hi

I read all the rules I can find and searched online about this question before I posted.  I see many people have wallet addresses in their signature.  Is this for people to send them tips?  Am I allowed to put a wallet in my sig and ask for tips if someone thinks I have been helpful, informative, funny or nice?  Or is this not allowed?

i don't think showing off your btc address will be vulnerable  it is as unsecure as showing off your bitcointalk username  or less then that according to me..!

GAML (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:49:14 PM

Also can putting a wallet address in sig be a security risk.  Could someone us that address against you in some way to steal from you.

It is a anonymity risk.

They can see all transactions that you ever receive at that address and what addresses you send those bitcoins to in the future.  Depending on the wallet you are using, they may be able to link that address to other addresses in your wallet and determine how much total bitcoins you are controlling, who is sending them to you, and where you are sending them to.

Only you can decide if this loss of privacy matters to you.

It is a "best practice" to use a new bitcoin address for every transaction.  This reduces the privacy issues, and increases security slightly.

Thanks.  This has also just made me wonder. Does this mean I should avoid Faucets for the same reason?  I made a separate address for a faucet so they could see what goes into that address.  But any payments I send would be from my wallet address so they could not see that?  Or could they see?

GAML (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:55:02 PM

Hi

i don't think showing off your btc address will be vulnerable  it is as unsecure as showing off your bitcointalk username  or less then that according to me..!

That is what I was thinking but then as Sonny has pointed out they can look on the block chain and calculate how much BTC you have in the wallet; which is not good if someone links that back to you and knows ways to hack.

Colin Miner

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 04:57:16 PM

But any payments I send would be from my wallet address so they could not see that?  Or could they see?

You can see all transactions in the block chain.

Its public and available for anyone to look at.

That is what I was thinking but then as Sonny has pointed out they can look on the block chain and calculate how much BTC you have in the wallet; which is not good if someone links that back to you and knows ways to hack.

You can move the money between wallets, put your saving in cold storage yet keeping small change in a normal wallet.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:03:01 PM

Of course it is allowed. People don't do it just for the tips, but because when they've done some job people don't have to ask for their address since they already know it.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:05:47 PM

Thanks Danny and Sonny.  That was really helpful.

No problem.

You could use that address for your signature here only, and not for faucets or any other trades. So, others can only see how much you get from tips.

It is true that people can see it if you send bitcoin out of that address.
But, they don't know if you are sending it to coinbase or a gambling site or buying something using bitpay, or you are just sending it to your other addresses.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:08:02 PM

But, they don't know if you are sending it to coinbase or a gambling site or buying something using bitpay, or you are just sending it to your other addresses.

Unless of course the place you are sending it to is also using publicly known static addresses.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: