Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:46:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Pizza Day - Why old members are no longer active here  (Read 907 times)
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 05:58:55 PM

why the early adopters of Bitcoin and then active members of Bitcointalk have gone inactive now
Many reasons, but one is old as time the internet:
Eternal September or the September that never ended is Usenet slang for a period beginning in September 1993, the month that Internet service provider America Online began offering Usenet access to its many users, overwhelming the existing culture for online forums. The influx in Usenet users was also indirectly caused by the aggressive direct mailing campaign by AOL Chief Marketing Officer Jan Brandt in order to beat out CompuServe and Prodigy, which most notably involved distributing millions of floppy disks and CD-ROMs with free trials of AOL.

Before then, Usenet was largely restricted to colleges and universities. Every September, a large number of incoming freshmen would acquire access to Usenet for the first time, taking time to become accustomed to Usenet's standards of conduct and "netiquette". After a month or so, these new users would either learn to comply with the networks' social norms or tire of using the service.

Whereas the regular September freshman influx would quickly settle down, the influx of new users from AOL did not end, and Usenet's existing culture did not have the capacity to integrate the sheer number of new users following September 1993. Since then, the popularity of the Internet has brought on a constant stream of new users and thus, from the point of view of the pre-1993 Usenet users, the influx of new users in September 1993 never ended.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
green547

Activity: 385
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:22:57 PM

I would say it's partially because of the spam.  But I believe the real reason is that they are very wealthy and out enjoying their lives doing more important things than spending time on this forum O.O
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:29:01 PM

It only takes a minute or two to make that kind of post because I watched all that stuff happening. Old time members have been bailing out here for 5 or more years because of all sorts of reasons. Glad you enjoyed it. LOL
I DID! Yes, I understand now - it's the old timers advantages  Cheesy

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
abasinkanga

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 06:35:05 PM

If the old timers are no longer using this forum, there must be a forum where they are still active... hmmm could it be reddit? (or have they been overrun by spammers as well?)
Seems the spammers are everywhere.... folks who post random stuff like they own the internet. spammers really clog the system. honestly!
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 09:38:10 PM

If the old timers are no longer using this forum, there must be a forum where they are still active... hmmm could it be reddit? (or have they been overrun by spammers as well?)
Seems the spammers are everywhere.... folks who post random stuff like they own the internet. spammers really clog the system. honestly!
Reddit? No way! Reddit is filled with half ass knowledge kids who live in a dream that BCH will be the next yet perfect version of bitcoin that ever existed. I'm not very sure of old members but I know some good posters who I used to look up to when I was a newbie aren't active anymore. A perfect example being Shorena/Mexxer-2.

Others who used to participate in discussions have just stopped posting or have engaged themselves with their services on bitcointalk.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 12:34:36 AM

perfect example being Shorena/Mexxer-2.

I think they're both still here aren't they?
When I started, Mexxer-2 wasn't posting so much it was only about 2016 I think when I started noticing their posts/name.
Shorena also was involved quite heavily in the technical discussion board but I think DannyHammilton took over from them along with a few others (hcp, tryninja, thirdspace - and I when I found an empty thread).
KevinHD

Activity: 232
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 03:06:07 AM

Not all old members are inactive. Some just doesn't think that the forum will boom and some optimists thought that the forum is a window to many things. Yet as time goes by, forum boomed to the wrong place and reach people who thought of forum as a money making machine and not a way to socialize with others with regards to certain topics. Some old members are onto tradings now and investing, they see forum as it really was, not as the shitposters, spammers, and scammers wanted the forum to be - windows to their wealth.

Sometimes I am also tired to post because who the hell wanted to reply on threads that already have alot of shit nonsense comments, and topics that are already asked.
nngella

Activity: 308
Merit: 42

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 03:20:02 AM

Many people left because the forum is overrun by spammers.

We agree on the major reason is spam that is number 1 reason why old member feel it's a waste of time being here and it has been discussed gazillion times.

But there are many other small reasons which are causing seniors to leave this forum:

1. Lack of innovation
2. Lack of Management Involvement
3. Focus of discussion is diverted
4. bitcointalk is money making platform

If I may add, I think one of the small reasons is the attitude of some users.  Some users are so negative and easily judge someone else's ideas instead of helping the person improve his/her ideas.

When you are posting something that you learn or any insights that you have and desiring for a decent discussion to have on your thread but critiques will spam you of rude remarks - this will discourage the user to post again innovative ideas that will challenge the current status quo.

siddartha1492 (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 09:33:16 AM

It’s not just one thing that caused the old timers to leave.

I would like to see a percentage study of why people left here. That would tell us the main reason and perhaps that one thing could be changed. Unfortunately, there is no one left around that does that sort of study anymore.

People that left the forum because of:

Spammers like sig campaign members posting one liners (discussion quality) =?%
Disagreements over forum operations like Goat =?%
Banned over disagreements with forum staff like MnW or MPOE-PR =?%
Respected members turned scammers like DnT or TradeFortress =?%
Respected members that lost credibly like Andresen or Zhou Tong =?%
The Silk Road scandal because of fear over their outspoken drug connection like MysteryMiner =?%
Were arrested and discredited like Shrem, Magical Tux and most of the early mining equipment manufacturers =?%
People who closed up businesses that ran their course like slush, Tycho or Jered Kenna =?%
Believe it’s more respectable to distance themselves from this forum like Tony Gallippi =?%
People that lost faith in bitcoin because their coins were scammed away from them = ?%
People that sold all for a massive profit and left =?%
Intellectuals that are beyond being stimulated by this forum like organofcorti or Meni Rosenfeld =?%
People with personal lives that take them away for years but end up returning like that johnthedong guy =?%

These are all the possible reasons that could have made oldies leave the forum. I liked the way you mentioned names with reasons. You must have been very active back then.

The percentages doesn't matter much, but what matters is that they are no more here to guide us or inspire new people. Guess that's how the world runs. People find new opportunities and they move on.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 03:45:22 PM

It’s not just one thing that caused the old timers to leave.

I would like to see a percentage study of why people left here. That would tell us the main reason and perhaps that one thing could be changed. Unfortunately, there is no one left around that does that sort of study anymore.

People that left the forum because of:

Spammers like sig campaign members posting one liners (discussion quality) =?%
Disagreements over forum operations like Goat =?%
Banned over disagreements with forum staff like MnW or MPOE-PR =?%
Respected members turned scammers like DnT or TradeFortress =?%
Respected members that lost credibly like Andresen or Zhou Tong =?%
The Silk Road scandal because of fear over their outspoken drug connection like MysteryMiner =?%
Were arrested and discredited like Shrem, Magical Tux and most of the early mining equipment manufacturers =?%
People who closed up businesses that ran their course like slush, Tycho or Jered Kenna =?%
Believe it’s more respectable to distance themselves from this forum like Tony Gallippi =?%
People that lost faith in bitcoin because their coins were scammed away from them = ?%
People that sold all for a massive profit and left =?%
Intellectuals that are beyond being stimulated by this forum like organofcorti or Meni Rosenfeld =?%
People with personal lives that take them away for years but end up returning like that johnthedong guy =?%

These are all the possible reasons that could have made oldies leave the forum. I liked the way you mentioned names with reasons. You must have been very active back then.

The percentages doesn't matter much, but what matters is that they are no more here to guide us or inspire new people. Guess that's how the world runs. People find new opportunities and they move on.

I don’t know if it’s ALL of the reasons but it is all of the reasons I witnessed. I was very active back then for the only reason that I didn’t mention - cryptocurrency was trendy, edgy, cool and it was fun watching it unfold.

At the expense of seeming like one of those “old guys” romanticizing their youth, I’ll tell you the feeling bitcoin had in the beginning. I went to one of the very first bitcoin conventions held at the Hotel Kabuki off Fillmore (San Francisco’s Japantown district). I lived down the street at the time so it wasn’t hard to get there. I’m a horrible gate crasher (have been ever since I saw Led Zepplin play for free in Oakland in 1977 and began wondering why I ever paid). So, as a gate crasher I just walked in to the convention and shook hands with Tony Gallippi, Jered Kenna, and a host of the other power players of the early days. The excitement and energy in every conference room was electric and contagious. You literally felt like you were watching a historical moment that rivaled any in history. I’ve been to many conventions since and none were as awe inspiring and magical as that one. The next closest one was probably at the San Jose convention center where I met Erik Voorhees for the first time.

The trendy, edgy, cool has left bitcoin at this point and those exciting energy filled people left at the same time. To it’s current users, bitcoin is no longer this world changing creation poised to destroy the financial stranglehold of big banking and government. Corporations, venture capitalists, profiteers, scammers, and all sorts of creatures of the night have taken over bitcoin. That initial energy has given way to business and profit. It’s been as sad to watch as it was to watch egalitarian hippies turn into well paid yuppies. I suppose it’s the natural progression that was always destined to happen.

Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 05:26:30 PM

I think old members concentrated on trading and they do not need the forum so much to hear news and chat with others, because of there appeared a lot of sites about crypto currencies and all social networks have specialized groups.
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 08:52:52 PM

Hi All

So yesterday, I was reading about this Bitcoin Pizza day on Cointelegraph and then I saw this link. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.msg1195#msg1195

I am aware about this Pizza Day for past 2 years, but only yesterday I came to know that Laszlo had posted this legendary offer on Bitcointalk. I always thought he posted it on either his social media page or some random forum.

Anyways, while reading through comments made on this topic, I noticed a strange thing. Most members who posted at that time are no longer active on Bitcointalk. Many were last seen years ago. Even Laszlo isn't, even though he has somewhat of a celebrity status in Bitcoin community. Many even credit his sacrifice of Bitcoins as the main reason for Bitcoin's current price.

And it's not that he has gone anonymous or so, because recently ledger launched limited edition Nano S, themed on Bitcoin Pizza Day and Laszlo gave the permission to do so. https://www.ledger.fr/2018/05/22/bitcoin-pizza-day-ledger-nano-s-limited-edition/
**Does anyone know what happened of the guy (jercos) who actually provided the pizzas for Bitcoin? He/she was equally important in this milestone.

But what I am curious about, especially from the old members here; that why the early adopters of Bitcoin and then active members of Bitcointalk have gone inactive now. Is it because they are bitter about not holding to their Bitcoins and selling it for a few Dollars or because they have found better platforms to discuss Bitcoin. Or maybe that they made quite a fortune and don't care anymore. I read that even Vitalik was an active user here, but again he has also become totally inactive on Bitcointalk. So why this trend?

old bitcoin developers have already spent their old coins and are now advertising their new coins, into the market, this will never stop so dont even wonder.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: