Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:36:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not launch a Blockchain iOS app for each territory?  (Read 1052 times)
whyinvestinbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 11:18:03 PM

Why not launch a Blockchain iOS app for each territory and see which ones apple takes down citing 'law of that country'? Then we'd know which country(ies) laws they mean that the app doesn't comply with.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lorix

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:59:13 PM

Why not launch a Blockchain iOS app for each territory and see which ones apple takes down citing 'law of that country'? Then we'd know which country(ies) laws they mean that the app doesn't comply with.

I think this idea has merit. If Apple is citing compliance with "laws in every jurisdiction" as the prime reason for rejection then regionally targeted apps could call their bluff.

The big question here is if Apple continues to block any region specific app using the same line are they required to cite which specific law or regulation it is in breach of?

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:24:19 AM

I think this idea has merit. If Apple is citing compliance with "laws in every jurisdiction" as the prime reason for rejection then regionally targeted apps could call their bluff.

The big question here is if Apple continues to block any region specific app using the same line are they required to cite which specific law or regulation it is in breach of?

I do not agree. Apple is simply blocking them to stop competition. They can make other excuses, they can just say it.
This would be a huge waste of time and effort.
7Priest7

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:30:02 AM

iOS is garbage. Always has been, always will be.

Apple is good for overpriced garbage.

Open source or gtfo, you chose a proprietary phone, the problem is your poor decision making.
Nobody who is true to the ideals of BTC(Freedom from oppressive governments/apple istore) will sympathize with a iphone user.

All territories have laws/regulations establishing the currency of that country and prohibiting other currencies.
lorix

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:35:53 AM

I do not agree. Apple is simply blocking them to stop competition. They can make other excuses, they can just say it.
This would be a huge waste of time and effort.

If Apple is blocking to stop competition, companies like Blockchain have a case as they are also US based and anti-trust comes into play. This is about shutting down the current excuse so they have no option but to either admit to competitive blocking (which would open them to litigation) or to allow them in.

whyinvestinbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 09:36:24 PM

If open source software was brilliant I'd use it over iOS. I use what is useful to me and iOS is useful to many. You can't deny that. Android is also useful even if it is presenting itself to be open source whilst being just as closed and restrictive(do some proper research). Bitcoin is beautiful and many love being productive with their iPhone. If people didn't pay for great products you wouldn't have 1% the things you have today. The world can't and hasn't been built on 'free'.  Taking stuff just because you think people are greedy/don't deserve it/shouldn't be so big is immoral. If you want everyone to use open source software invest as much as companies like apple/google/Microsoft do and stop pretending that google is godly and apple is evil. They are all corporate and driven by profit as fair reward for initial risk/investment.

But let's not get into a iOS/android/open source debate or a debate how everyone should only use free open source software. The question is how to force apples hand to show their true cards. It would be illegal for them to deliberately squash competition for a upcoming competing product but it's possible they are using the pretense of being illegal in a specific jurisdiction.

To win the game you have to play the game. Fighting the game only gets you a punch in the face with some water canons.

Bitcoin is playing the finance game. Let's play to win.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 09:46:37 PM

Open source or gtfo, you chose a proprietary phone, the problem is your poor decision making.

I have never seen a fully open source smartphone. I'd buy one right away but as far as I know they do not exist.
If I am wrong please point me to an fully open source smartphone Smiley
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 10:50:46 PM

I have never seen a fully open source smartphone. I'd buy one right away but as far as I know they do not exist.
If I am wrong please point me to an fully open source smartphone Smiley

Finding a "fully open source" computer is hard enough to find, never-mind a smartphone.

Here is one example that is never coming back now that Nokia went Windows phone exclusive: Nokia N900. I heard there was some mis-management as well: firmware updates were adding features, not fixing basic bugs.

Wikipedia list of open-source mobile phones

Android is more open than Apple phones. If you buy it from Google, it is not even carrier-locked. That list says it excludes Android due to proprietary drivers. However, it is common for GNU/linux PC users to install proprietary drivers as well.

Recently, the nouveau project benefited from Tegra driver source code written for Android. Things like register names and functions were disclosed. PS: AFAIK, the PowerVR graphics used by the N900 probably also required proprietary drivers.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
lorix

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:26:01 AM

But let's not get into a iOS/android/open source debate or a debate how everyone should only use free open source software. The question is how to force apples hand to show their true cards. It would be illegal for them to deliberately squash competition for a upcoming competing product but it's possible they are using the pretense of being illegal in a specific jurisdiction.

Exactly the point here - Apple will do everything they can to paint the decision as being founded on pseudo-legal reasons.

7Priest7

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:16:46 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2014, 06:12:39 AM by 7Priest7

Android is open source.
Carriers add restrictions to phones they subsidize.
There are numerous flavors of Android available(modified by 3rd parties.)

With android you are free to use third party app stores and rooting is easy/default in some cases.

IOS is inferior in every way, it was designed for idiots.
Fortunately for apple there are MANY idiots born every second.

The question is how to force apples hand to show their true cards.
Boycott Apple!
When you knowingly purchased a closed source/walled garden device, you accepted that you will be closed in like a animal.
They won't play cards with you, they will not justify/disclose reasoning behind any action unless a court ordered them to do so.
They don't care what you think/feel/believe.
You are just their animal, they will corral you where they please.
Either deal with it or make a informed decision next time you purchase a device.
In the meantime JailBreaking your IOS device would be a step in the right direction.
I've never used(or wanted to use) a IOS device, but I do believe jailbreaking allows any app to be installed.

Bitcoin is playing the finance game. Let's play to win.
Nonsense, Bitcoin plays no games.
Bitcoin simply is(Open Source, Free from oppression/discrimination/borders/boundaries.)
whyinvestinbitcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 10:39:46 AM

7Priest,

You're clearly passionate but overly driven by those passions/emotions/beliefs. If you think that apple sit there talking about 'their animals which are penned into their system' and how they can 'get more serfs' not only are you delusional, you are paranoid that the world runs like a massive conspiracy designed to lock you in like a sheep. I'm going to assume your lack of higher reasoning comes from a lack of higher education but I could be wrong. It's probably genetics.

Good luck boycotting Apple - you'll account for about <1%. The same 1% that always moans how the world isn't fair and how the other top 1% have everything and how that same 1% should just give away everything they 'earned/made/stole/inherited' to you in higher taxes because you can't be 'bothered/haven't been lucky enough/don't have the connections/don't want to take a loan and get an education/don't believe that talking well and dressing well should matter'.

The day you decided to go 'open source' is the day you decided to limit your productivity because of what you believe. It was probably cheaper too - because, hey, stuff you copy is always cheaper as you don't have to make the initial investment.

I'm pretty sure you download movies and music because 'those filthy rich cartels don't deserve it'.

But apart from 7Priests divergent opinion of how we should all 'kill apple, love google'.... How else can Apple's hand be forced? (other than smashing a perfectly good phone).

Wink

P.S. Priest I'm sure you're a nice guy in person. Don't forget I love bitcoin as much as you and see it's full potential just as well.
7Priest7

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:57:15 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 06:51:55 PM by 7Priest7

7Priest,

You're clearly passionate but overly driven by those passions/emotions/beliefs. If you think that apple sit there talking about 'their animals which are penned into their system' and how they can 'get more serfs' not only are you delusional, you are paranoid that the world runs like a massive conspiracy designed to lock you in like a sheep. I'm going to assume your lack of higher reasoning comes from a lack of higher education but I could be wrong. It's probably genetics.
A closed source/walled garden is both a legal and software pen. You take what they give you.
You are a sheep.
I never stated Apple sees you as a animal, I inferred that you are the equivalent of their herd/animal, they will direct you as they see fit.
You should learn to read/comprehend basic English.
When you knowingly purchased a closed source/walled garden device, you accepted that you will be closed in like a animal.
You are just their animal, they will corral you where they please.

Good luck boycotting Apple - you'll account for about <1%.
I wont read your whole rant, your first paragraph established your stupidity.
Here is a nice little chart for you.
Most people are educated enough to go with a more affordable open source platform.
Many of them don't understand the long term advantages of a Open Source dominated market, in the end Open Source devices can be produced for less.
If you lack the higher functioning to understand your legal/software pen, stick with iOS.
Just know Apple will make you their bitch(removing bitcoin apps is a good example.)

whyinvestinbitcoin You are poorly educated, You are now ignored.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: