Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:12:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could smartphones scan a QR code on a whole side of a bus?  (Read 3770 times)
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 04:43:07 AM

I have a buddy who handles the decal wrapping of the county's bus system. That would be quite some fun to switch out his decal set at the beginning of the week....
I have been inspired and will be making a QR code advertisement in my area asap. I will post when accomplished.
Around here we have people who will pass out 1,000's of fliers for like 50 bucks too. That might be something to use at a huge parking lot or something.
As a matter of fact I have a bunch of great ways that political parties push the limits of advertising their campaigns.
If you guys are interested I can post some, I feel like it is my duty to teach everyone about how to play the game of politics we will surely be cornered into.

Lesson 1 - Never ask a Bureaucrat for permission, but rather do it first and handle whether or not it is permissible later (We are talking about questionable acts like putting a bunch of fliers on cars at a walmart or putting signs up on a freeway overpass, not real crimes).

*Also for when you hold an event that is filmed, this is a big tip. Do not get to big of an area, and always put less chairs out then you think you will need. You can bring more chairs in as you need them. You want it to feel crowded like a great turnout for the cameras.

I am not just guessing here, I have been to school for this stuff, if anyone has questions about how to use real life tactics to advance their bitcoin operations and all the little idiosyncrasies that actually do matter to advancing a project, or platform, or group, please ask Smiley

I have a question: Where were you for Bruce Wagner? Cheesy
I dont get the question.
Sorry

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 04:44:29 AM

Sounds like a way to lose more money than you get in donations. Even if it's your own bus, you'd probably get more money just running commercial ads on it.

Not to mention some jerk with some black paint and a /dif pic to go by could change it to donate elsewhere. ;p  Don't ask why I would even think of such a dastardly thing...

edit; the idea is not a bad one though. Just needs some tweaking..

Damn that is crazy, didnt think of that.
WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 04:46:40 AM

Another good one that gets people attention is signs that are a certain distance from each other along a given road.

Better
Form
Of
Currency

Bitcoin.Org

People eat these up.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 08:41:30 AM

Sounds like a way to lose more money than you get in donations. Even if it's your own bus, you'd probably get more money just running commercial ads on it.

Not to mention some jerk with some black paint and a /dif pic to go by could change it to donate elsewhere. ;p  Don't ask why I would even think of such a dastardly thing...

please note that to hijack a QR code like that it is necessary to change the whole code. Because of the error correction and wrong decode protection algorithms it is not possible (or at least quite difficult) to only partly change a QR code.

An extreme QR code like this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30981.0  gives some protection because it is hard to create in the first place.

@deslok: If you did not yet go with another code: I'll be working on a high res version tomorrow.

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:53:39 PM

please note that to hijack a QR code like that it is necessary to change the whole code. Because of the error correction and wrong decode protection algorithms it is not possible (or at least quite difficult) to only partly change a QR code.

An extreme QR code like this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30981.0  gives some protection because it is hard to create in the first place.

@deslok: If you did not yet go with another code: I'll be working on a high res version tomorrow.

Hey how'd you know i was following this Wink

Owl i don't know where you'd put up that mnay posters but i'd have no issue printing them, we should probably get  any members currently in college mailed out a set of posters those are going to be places where computers are fun something like bitcoin would be exciting and they've all got a smartphone to scan qr's and play with things like bitpay

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Owl i don't know where you'd put up that mnay posters but i'd have no issue printing them, we should probably get  any members currently in college mailed out a set of posters those are going to be places where computers are fun something like bitcoin would be exciting and they've all got a smartphone to scan qr's and play with things like bitpay
Yah these tactics are for college activists, that's where i learned em'.
If we can get some crypto groups going at some colleges, we would be right on track.
deslok

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 04:25:56 PM

Yah these tactics are for college activists, that's where i learned em'.
If we can get some crypto groups going at some colleges, we would be right on track.

Does anyone know a good idea on how to get a group of users at colleges?

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 06:17:13 PM

get them mining with their gaming gpus and their free electricity - the rest will follow Wink
WiseOldOwl

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 06:18:47 PM

Pretty much every college has a week in the beginning of the year that does recruiting for groups.
Almost any student can start a group with a small amount of paperwork.
Groups have treasurers, presidents, etc. and can have bank accounts (might be different for different schools/jurisdictions) + more.
Start a cryptography or logical currency group.
There has to be some college students here.
I will spearhead this.
Website coming soon.
We have pre-made literature for other causes, I will just modify it for ours Smiley
Also will list common ways to further your cause on campus and off.
deslok

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 08:02:05 PM

Pretty much every college has a week in the beginning of the year that does recruiting for groups.
Almost any student can start a group with a small amount of paperwork.
Groups have treasurers, presidents, etc. and can have bank accounts (might be different for different schools/jurisdictions) + more.
Start a cryptography or logical currency group.
There has to be some college students here.
I will spearhead this.
Website coming soon.
We have pre-made literature for other causes, I will just modify it for ours Smiley
Also will list common ways to further your cause on campus and off.

Some of that literature already exists and is ready for campuses
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45203.msg542884#msg542884

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 08:04:27 PM

Even at a bus stop, what stops a person from just pasting a new QR code over the original, short of it being protected by plexiglass?

deslok

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 08:15:14 PM

Even at a bus stop, what stops a person from just pasting a new QR code over the original, short of it being protected by plexiglass?

Just the other people there, you could do it easily enough with a properly sized self adhesive sheet (waterproof) and some glass cleaner and a cloth to prep the surface before hand, with a quick search i can get those in letter size for sure larger than that i'm going to have to spend more time on it

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: