Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:26:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Came across this, though it was quite interesting  (Read 99 times)
fr4nkthetank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 03:14:57 PM

"
Welcome to the future.

We are in the process of implementing technology that permits an output of goods and services that is magnitudes more than previously thought possible.  Never in history has the output of goods been so efficient.

I have been replaced by computers.  I have no more career.  I am useless now.  But I am not useless as a human being.  I can volunteer, stay healthy, learn new things, become a better person, involve myself in the community and make the world a better place.  Try to make my world a better place.  Growth, utility and incentive/behavioral based economics have run their course and although their models do permit us to many great things, they fail to capture most externalities.  It turns out that these externalities have a much greater impact on our civilization than has been previously accepted.

Remember the only goal of our civilization is survival.  Not as individuals, but as a whole.  Our institutions are what is truly important, not who you vote for or who is elected.  Beware when institutions change, for great turmoil is ahead.

What value does a human being provide to society when that person performs actions that in no way shape or form betters society, or even maintains it ?  Negative value.  Zero present value and negative opportunity value and negative externalities. Working a minimum wage job that can be replaced by a machine is a net loss for society.  The more low paying workers you have spending most of their available time and resources on near useless work, the more society goes into the negative.

As the old saying goes, breaking windows and replacing them is no basis for a sound economy.  Well neither is most low paid labor.  In current economics we would define the efficiency point of manual labor vs automation by either calculating capital costs/labor/output and expand until the marginal cost approaches marginal return.  In layman's terms, that means "don't ask for a pay raise, because I'll have a machine replace you".  For the closed employee-employer capital-labor ecosystem that works, but as a society it does not.  The opportunity cost of having perfectly worthwhile human beings waste their lives is immense.  It is even reflected upon later generations.  Negative externalities abound - crime, poverty, school dropouts, weak social participation, weak personal responsibility for immediate surroundings - are all much more present in areas were low paying workers live.  This is not a coincidence, nor is it a innate trait.  Weak social mobility and the poverty trap are also negative externalities of lost potential.

Basic income.  Once you separate "pay" from "work" things become clearer.  Your pay is not in relation to your work.  It is based on the demand and supply of available trained workers and the demand and supply for the goods and services they produce.  Lowly workers do not see this, for they never pocket the surplus but always pocket the shortfalls.  When society produces great surplus, only a fraction of it appears at the margin.  And the law of decreasing returns also applies here.  Taxes are paid on a local level, yet operations are now on a global playing field.  In practice, this means the only people that are taxed are those that play in the local playing field.  It puts an additional burden on society which reaps yet more negative externalities.  Our economic models are flattening out.  Growth is flattening and so is production, population and productivity.  This is unacceptable.  We are not a log based civilization and even linear progress is not acceptable for our long term survival and prosperity.  Our survival is at stake here.  We all can see what road we are on right now, but only a few dare stick their heads out and look where the road leads.

The path to a reputation based utility system is one that I shall propose.  It is already in effect, but is distorted.  After all even the White House, the embodiment of the past, celebrates the greatest volunteers and achievers of this world with awards and a meet and greet with the president.  Who is respected more, Warren Buffet or Jonas Salk ?  What has more value, Goldman Sachs or Public Broadcasting ?  I'm sure Mister Rogers would like to have a nice little chat with all of you.  We already operate on a reputation based society and now it is time to use this foundation to grow in the 21st century.  Ideology must be left behind in order to see reality.

The transition.  It will be difficult for many.  To be told they are useless.  To realize it.  To understand it.  But they will not dig a hole and wait to perish, nor will they stay home and consume pointless hours of meaningless entertainment or even engulf themselves in the abyss that is alcohol and substance abuse.  They will be free, and that will empower them. Freedom to have a future.  Freedom to choose and have choices.  Freedom to explore themselves as human beings and freedom to contribute to society in a positive way.  Free to properly raise their children so that they will become a positive force in the world, not its victims.  Free to mold the future, not be shaped by it.  Free to stand up and work on something worth doing.  Free to think.

Basic income is not expensive.  It presents a net gain for society, and so in that sense it is more than free.  But in our current framework it is a cost.  To spearhead the transition we must stand on the shoulders of giants and march forwards.  These giants are our financial institutions and the foundations of our society.  Different cultures and societies are free to provide a different form of basic income - in exchange for work, volunteering, military service or schooling.  Basic Income needs not be free.  Nor is it.  But it needs to be universal, like basic rights that are bestowed upon every human being the moment he takes his first breath.

Every human being will be given credit that will permit them to work from a position of relative comfort - where his efforts are not wasted on simple survival, food gathering or finding basic shelter and security.  This credit will come from the local and national governments that provide services and taxes its citizens.  This situation will put a major strain on the budget and will not be feasible.  The government operates in the local level, and so the implementation needs to be supported by the global playing field.  A basic income financial institution will be created with token capital from the local institutions.  This institution will disburse credit to all that are eligible.  The institution will benefit from extremely low capital ratio rules and will have no reserve requirements.  Its money - or debt - will be deposited directly in other institutions as per usual.  At the end of each cycle, or year, that institution will be deemed bankrupt and will be liquidated.  The same day, a new Institution will be formed, with a token capital injection.  The direct cost to society will be a sliver of a fraction of the actual money disbursed.  The benefits will be local - and global.  The costs will be globally shared.

In order to sustain the system, the central banks will have to adjust policy to simulate a yearly significant banking default in the system and will have to compensate.  The global field can support a distribution of the costs throughout the system, because the externalities are positive.  This provides a net positive gain for society.  Inflation and growth will pick up, which is an arguably good thing in this era of near zero inflation and abysmal growth.  Remember asset purchases by central banks is a form of basic income for financial institutions. Interests rates will rise, which is also a good thing in this world of a broken interest rate system.  At a local level, borrowing profiles of the citizens will improve and loan defaults will go down.  People will save more and thus we will have more investment capital.  The positive feedback loops from these actions will echo even in the darkest reaches areas of our society, areas our society wishes didn't exist.  And with a little bit of luck and hard work, they won't exist much longer.

-The Sisko
"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CHENIEN

Activity: 616
Merit: 11

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 04:06:45 PM

This is quite a good question, and even I'm a new on this particular business but I learned a lots of opinions to other persons that contributes their long experienced and knowledge about this cryptocurrency business, hopefully there were another people who introduce and share their ability and knowledge about this business in order to aware the reality on what cryptocurrency business connected to humanity and to all living people all over the world.

iBid    ▐    Decentralized Auctions on Blockchain   (❪  ► About us   ► Telegram  ❫)
◾ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬            AN  AUCTION    ❱    All auctions start at    $0
[   ◥   Google Play      ◥   App Store   ]  ██ SIGN UP ██  ❱   with no minimum reserve
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 03:34:23 PM

I like Elon Musk's proposal for the human race becoming a multi planetary species. It is possible life here on earth is too easy and convenient for us. Perhaps establishing a colony on a planet like mars would help the human race to manage resources and living space in a more responsible and sustainable manner. I remember seeing the movie the Matrix as a younger version of myself and listening to Agent Smith's monologue comparing the human race to a virus breeding out of control. Back then I thought Agent Smith was an asshole for characterizing the wonder and grandeur of the human race as having parallels to seemingly mindless, brainless, parasitic viruses. Within the present day, I don't know what to think. Perhaps expanding outwards into the solar system would help circumstances where we have many refugees and seemingly limited space to house them.

There certainly isn't much dialogue or public consciousness devoted towards resolving circumstances in an elegant fashion. Most of us live day to day under purely reactional terms where we elevate critical thinking and speculation on the nature of these topics as existing above our station. Perhaps with billions of collective minds we could channel our intellect and imagination towards finding a solution most can live with. However with so few and so few resources devoted towards this, certainly it drastically limits our options.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 07:09:57 PM

I read all of the article about how machine are replacing people which is so true because all over the world cutting across every sector of the economy, artificial intelligence and machines are taking over. I entered an office few days back and I was surprised there was no receptionist, all I see was a tablet where I have to type what I needed that would automatically notify the right personnel to come and attend to my needs.

With all these happening, it still does not remove the importance of human and when it get to certain point government will be forced to take actions. Today in America, there is am established minimum wage that should be paid but business owners prefers to hire illegal migrants who will gladly accepts the minimum wage but now government is clamping down on that which would force them to the right thing so also will happen with machines by the time the population out of work is becoming alarming to bear, something drastic will be done to stop it and no business would want to be associated being on the negative side of the law.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 07:27:33 PM

Where did you find this? I couldn't find the source through Google...

It really is quite interesting and I agree with the author that we will need basic income eventually.
There are already quite a few crypto projects working on that.

Check out my thread, which lists all of them:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3242065.0 (Overview of Universal Basic Income Crypto Projects [23 Projects Listed])

I am wondering if it wouldn't make people too complacent though, people will always need a goal to work towards.

fr4nkthetank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 06:58:42 PM

Smiley oh yeah it wont show up on google but thats just because the message board is not "visible" to google.  Actually a really old crypto/bbs/crack board i used to go and never kinda left and browse late nights when im very drunk sometimes Smiley  People write stories/books and such.  Thanks for the link i'll check out your thread !  Yeah im sure a certain % of people might get complacent, but maybe we'll come to see that as a mental illness or something.  AFter all, life is amazing and doing nothing for very long periods of time sucks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: