Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:15:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clueless noob - What can I mine with my current setup?  (Read 864 times)
crytogobby (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 03:25:56 AM

I currently use my pc for work and its on for a good 12 hours a day continuously. My work involves running several programs but cpu and ram utilization is never that high (perhaps maybe around the 25-30% mark). Anyway, with my rig being on this much can I effectively mine cryptocoins for profit?

My PC spec is as follows:-

Intel Sandybridge i5 2500k
16gb ddr3 ram
500gb ssd
Geforce 660gtx 3gb

Given my above spec, whats best for me to mine? Is my gfx card (being nvidia) not suitable for gpu mining? Kinda late to the game but was wondering if I can make use of my pc when its idle or being underutilized. Any ideas? thanks in advance!
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
satsumi

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 03:36:14 AM

You can get 130 kHash/s or possibly a bit more depending on the card, using cudaMiner. https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#NVIDIA

If you steal the electricity, that will make you about fifty cents a day in Litecoin. A bit more if you chase the alt of the moment, though definitely not worth the time you'll put into it.
crytogobby (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 03:55:46 AM

hi, thanks for the reply!

i'm looking into mining alts, if i did buy a 7950 or 280x gfx card (im a bit of a gamer too) do u think it would be profitable? sadly, electricity isnt free for me, but since my pc is on most of the time cause of my work I guess it cant cost too much more? although im pretty sure my gfx card isnt utilised much
satsumi

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:17:57 AM

I bought a 270X about a month ago and have unrealized gains that equal what it and the power supply cost, but that was because I was able to solo mine an obscure altcoin before it was listed on an exchange. My returns in doge and the others has been mediocre in comparison. My investment in time has put it so far below minimum wage to be completely laughable.

There are people here who will tell you that it'll be profitable, but a lot hinges on when custom dedicated Scrypt mining hardware comes on the market. If it's late this year (which is the longest it will possibly be), then you might get a return on investment. If it's next month, then not so much. Of course if you keep the mined coins in whatever altcoin or Bitcoin then you're also betting that the altcoin/Bitcoin price doesn't crash again.

If you buy one card and put it in your computer and are happy to use it for gaming once it's useless for mining, then that's not too bad of an investment. Thinking about it now, I've not run a game on my computer since I put this card in, I bet Half Life would actually run at decent quality now...
Cryptomatical

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:02:23 AM

hi, thanks for the reply!

i'm looking into mining alts, if i did buy a 7950 or 280x gfx card (im a bit of a gamer too) do u think it would be profitable? sadly, electricity isnt free for me, but since my pc is on most of the time cause of my work I guess it cant cost too much more? although im pretty sure my gfx card isnt utilised much

AMD R9 280x is pretty hard to beat bang for buck - 730kH is easily obtainable. You can currently mine around 2,500 Dogecoin a day on that card.

Avoid XFX brand.
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:26:05 PM

With that setup it is not worth to do much.
Get some 280X card or used HD 7950, that will bring you some $, you can work with that computer easily in the mean time.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:37:09 PM

dogecoin, that's what you can mine Cheesy

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:53:33 PM

You can mine scrypt coins with your GPUs.
Try middlecoin or multipool, and you will be able to mine the most profitable coin automatically.
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:56:25 PM

Borrowing the thread a little. Is Primecoin/Quarks/Some other CPU coin profitable to mine with that setup?
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:14:29 PM

Borrowing the thread a little. Is Primecoin/Quarks/Some other CPU coin profitable to mine with that setup?

Probably, but I am not sure.

In case anyone is curious, you can find a list of CPU-only coins here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379601.0

According to that list, Primecoin is really CPU-only while Quark is "Limited GPU Mining"....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: