Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:39:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum as a store of value coin.  (Read 382 times)
DavidSurf (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 05:45:01 AM

If Ethereum is a utility platform and the value of its coin rises, how can it continue to be used as a utility when its used as a store of value?
Most people that buy Ethereum aren't using it, they're trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 05:55:57 AM

If Ethereum is a utility platform and the value of its coin rises, how can it continue to be used as a utility when its used as a store of value?

Any cryptocurrency or token can be used as a store of value and utility token at the same time, actually. And in a normal market, there will always be differences on how we are using cryptocurrency. The reality is that in today's cryptocurrency dynamics, people are more often than not using cryptocurrency as a store of value or as a tool of investment rather than the other way around. There is the question if cryptocurrency can be more valuable and can have greater market if they are used in our everyday lives and I think that this can be true and for that to happen there must be a good and reliable infrastructure that anyone can use. Anyway, the cryptocurrency story is still relatively young and it is actually just developing soon a time when come when it can be more mature a different picture can then be emerging as to its use and function.
iconoclast

Activity: 770
Merit: 102

Matrix Built On An Ethereum Smart Contract

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 05:59:32 AM

What you say about Ethereum applys to all other coins to an even greater degree. 94% of the ICO's conducted in the last year were done on the Ethereum Platform. Of all the coins it has a stronger case of real world use than any other Coin, even Bitcoin. A lot of other coins claim to be technically better but none of them have a proven use case better than Ethereum. Ethereum remains the base currency for all those that invest in the development of Blockchain.

Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 06:02:38 AM

You can try to create an asset use ethereum, There are some people are using ethereum to playing the dapps game in the platform. So, have you ever seen the bitcoin will be used or offer the utility usage to the token holders? Crypto is about a speculation and then i think that it looks very similar.
DavidSurf (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 06:41:10 AM

You can try to create an asset use ethereum, There are some people are using ethereum to playing the dapps game in the platform. So, have you ever seen the bitcoin will be used or offer the utility usage to the token holders? Crypto is about a speculation and then i think that it looks very similar.

I don't quite follow. Maybe I can clarify, please bare with me as I start from what we can agree on--
Bitcoin is a store of value. People use Maslow's Hierarchy to justify the tulip bubble theory, which is fine, it is speculative and the users drive the price. But Bitcoin doesn't have smart contracts, no? And it was meant as for peer-to-peer transactions, but with no utility other than that I believe.

Ethereum on the otherhand is a utility platform and meant to build DAPPs, people use Solidity to build with Ethereum. So it has a use. So I suppose my point would be I find it kind of backwards when a utility coin is treated as a store of value, it defeats the purpose a tad and slows down innovation. And yes, most ICOs create utility coins as a store of value, but I'm trying to find the value of that concept is what I'm driving at. If there was a fixed/ stable value for Ethereum or any platform can that be more beneficial?
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 06:54:14 AM

If the value of the coin rises (along with its transaction fees), than it makes no sense to be used as a utility coin. It will become a store of value, similarly to what bitcoin is destined to be.

But Bitcoin doesn't have smart contracts, no? And it was meant as for peer-to-peer transactions, but with no utility other than that I believe.
Bitcoin has no on-chain smart contracts due to security reasons, but it has off-chain solutions for that.

Ethereum on the otherhand is a utility platform and meant to build DAPPs, people use Solidity to build with Ethereum. So it has a use. So I suppose my point would be I find it kind of backwards when a utility coin is treated as a store of value, it defeats the purpose a tad and slows down innovation.
I don't think Ethereum can ever become a store of value in the sense Bitcoin is. Ethereum is a crypto-asset designed to fuel the ETH platform, and given the current situation with these ICOs, it would have to struggle in the future to maintain its value even where it is now.
jonalva

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2018, 03:02:14 PM

I think you can use all cryptocurrency for both trading purpose and utility. Many investors are using ethereum for utility by participating on gaming platforms. Hope this helps.
DavidSurf (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 02:41:50 AM

If the value of the coin rises (along with its transaction fees), than it makes no sense to be used as a utility coin. It will become a store of value, similarly to what bitcoin is destined to be.

But Bitcoin doesn't have smart contracts, no? And it was meant as for peer-to-peer transactions, but with no utility other than that I believe.
Bitcoin has no on-chain smart contracts due to security reasons, but it has off-chain solutions for that.

Ethereum on the otherhand is a utility platform and meant to build DAPPs, people use Solidity to build with Ethereum. So it has a use. So I suppose my point would be I find it kind of backwards when a utility coin is treated as a store of value, it defeats the purpose a tad and slows down innovation.
I don't think Ethereum can ever become a store of value in the sense Bitcoin is. Ethereum is a crypto-asset designed to fuel the ETH platform, and given the current situation with these ICOs, it would have to struggle in the future to maintain its value even where it is now.

I agree.
Gogochen

Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 02:51:00 AM

At present, the block chain and ETH ecology are developing.
If the throughput of ETH improves substantially, then I think ETH will be the best project.

Victorheywhy

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 03:09:10 AM

Ethereum is a very great coin which serves as a store of other value coins, which is really a great idea. That's why I prefer Ethereum over Bitcoin because bitcoin does not have on-chain smart contracts, which may be due to security reasons. Ethereum still remains my best coin above all other coins.
aervin11

Activity: 602
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 03:33:52 AM

That's the magic of cryptocurrency, it's like buying a stock you could use whatever it may save you. The fact that all of the coins are being used as utility and getting high store value because of it's demand and fix supply, maybe there is nothing wrong with that. Hence, it is one of the best use cases of blockchain.
covfefe_

Activity: 934
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 04:09:06 AM

They are doing it both. The only limitations would be the transaction speed and fees. When Ethereum achieves both high speed and low fees, it can be parallely used as a utility as well as trading coin.
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1049

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 04:14:35 AM

it fuels the transaction which makes it a utility but since most of us wants to profit due to its high demand traders are buying ETH to earn. its both. you can store your wealth on it and you can use eth if you are sending tokens to elsewhere. this is why ether is a good investment as over time you profit.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Lindazz

Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 04:28:24 AM

This is the current problem, most of the time people only use ETH for transactions.
So they don't really want to use ETH. Angry

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
Augustyusuf

Activity: 546
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 05:51:11 AM

i agree, nowadays etherium mostly used for making invest like hold them, or used them for buying some ico sale and for gas wallet, but i think etherium more usefull rather than bitcoin.

RideNodeTM (RIDE) is the First American Ride and Transportation Blockchain and Virtual Currency.
https://ridenode.io/[/cent
Saisher

Activity: 2296
Merit: 175

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 05:57:56 AM

I think you should widen your scope on ethereum, trading and using are the same thing as long as you trade if you are using it's fee it's private key and anything associated with it, there are already companies using Ethereum don't know where you get that idea.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
indopool

Activity: 403
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 06:32:17 AM

Today, the chain of blocks and projects based on Ethereum are growing.
Although the current price of Ethereum is falling, but still many people believe if Ethereum will rise again when the market recovers. If Ethereum throughput increases substantially, then I think Ethereum will be the best project, and impact on Ethereum price increase.
realaccountakira

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 06:35:19 AM

I actually beg to differ, people buying Ethereum are probably using it for decentralized applications that are already being run on the ETH blockchain.

Going back to your topic, Ethereum can also be used as a good store of value because all indicators point to it's value going nowhere but upwards. There is only innovation and enhancement ahead of the Ethereum blockchain and there is very little chance that some obscure little bug would be found in the code or some other catastrophe because of the sheer number of people constantly auditing the Ethereum blockchain and it's protocols.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Gab23
Copper Member

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 06:38:21 AM

It is used in the operation of ethereum blockchain. Just more than that the exact concept of etherum is smartcontract. Operate smartcontract needs eth. This means that the demand of eth will be sustainable. Also, people favor bitcoin in purpose of store of value
OLX

Activity: 173
Merit: 108

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 06:44:26 AM

Considering Ethereum is the top 3rd trading pair next to USD and BTC, I would say it's a great storage of value coin. Long-term at least. Maybe not in the short run
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: