Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:08:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Invisible QR codes.  (Read 7191 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 07:22:05 AM

Somehow stumbled upon this, not sure what use it would be to bitcoins but it looks fun.

http://www.digimarc.com/discover/barcodes.asp?_kk=qr%20code&_kt=3efe5237-0e66-4328-9a7f-276e1822e7ad&gclid=CIyA-bivuqsCFQFS7AodIn9Ecg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ParrotyBit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 02:05:04 PM

QR codes are like sticking your hand into holes in the ground. Invisible QR codes are like a poorly covered-up hole in the ground with a sign next to it that says "Stick hand in hole to read about why you need to give me your money!"
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 02:16:16 PM

QR codes are like sticking your hand into holes in the ground. Invisible QR codes are like a poorly covered-up hole in the ground with a sign next to it that says "Stick hand in hole to read about why you need to give me your money!"

Exactly! That's what makes this a beautiful APP. Before, during and after watching the video, my head was spinning on how this could be used in conjunction with Bitcoin.
nefanon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

Wow, this looks really cool.

It's be even better if someone hosted an open-source service like this so the community at large could use this.  Cheesy
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 04:14:19 PM

Did I get this right? This "invisible QR code" is just image recognition? So at the app vendor's website there is a database of all "active" images. If I find one of these, the app translates it into a link.
Why would I want that? It has nothing to do with QR-codes as it only works as long as the database is not polluted by millions of similar pictures that confuse the app thus it will *only* work as proprietary software.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 04:40:40 PM

This was the top google hit for 'java image steganography':

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/27950-steganography/

It gives example code where text is hidden directly in the image data.
Normally people hide the data in the low bits of the image data though I have not looked through that code's algorithm.

QR code recognition would be much more robust in noisy environments mind because of their error correction codes and position markers.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 04:44:01 PM

This was the top google hit for 'java image steganography':

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/27950-steganography/

It gives example code where text is hidden directly in the image data.
Normally people hide the data in the low bits of the image data though I have not looked through that code's algorithm.

QR code recognition would be much more robust in noisy environments mind because of their error correction codes and position markers.

Wow, I love how the basic info of bits and bytes is explained here^^^ regardless of crypt/stegan stuff.
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 07:06:08 PM

You could probably make some fun bitcoin games out of the idea.  People hunting for bitcoins scanning everything in sight looking for a hidden qr code.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 07:12:18 PM

I'm confused. Is this a photo with a stego QR image hidden in it, or is it scanning a known image?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 07:22:47 PM

I haven't read their spec, but when I blew their sample PDF up, it looked like it had a bunch of subtle imperfections in just one of the color planes (they were green and magenta) that could easily be what's encoding the data.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 08:00:05 PM

I don't get it, am I correct in the assumption it only scans with their proprietary scanning app?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 08:46:03 PM

Yep.  Their technology reminds me more of Anoto digital ink (e.g. the "Tag" reader pen for kids) than a QR code.  The dots are scattered all around the page, but more so in places where there's poor detail or no real color saturation, and I'll bet they're extremely redundant so only a small percentage of them is needed.

If you look at their sample PDF of a bright red car, there are no perceptible dots in the car itself... they are more in the background, in the sand, etc.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 09:15:52 PM

Ok, i must take back my last post. This is interesting indeed.

My wild guess would be that they take a "QR-like code" and apply it to the image many times. Some areas get shifted to be green and some get shifted to be magenta. They do some kind of dithering with a set of patterns that all contain 50% green-shifting and 50% magenta-shifting. The ones can be translated to black and the others to white of the regular QR-code. As each such dithering pattern is balanced you don't see the QR-code without the appropriate pattern matching.

Now as a perceptible shift of the hue would be annoying in very bright and very dark areas, this is mainly done/visible in medium bright areas. Also highly saturated areas don't allow such operations without adverse effects.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 09:41:27 PM

Ok, I tried the pdf and installed the android app and it's fun:

I stretched the saturation and brighness and cropped the image down to this little image:

Context:

And the app did still trigger. And no, it did not trigger when I pointed it to some other pictures, so I would assume the information to really be in the image.

ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 09:54:46 PM

For the fun of it:

This car is also available without the embedded information:

+saturation
+lightness
=

The image with the embedded information:

and yes, even at this small scale the information can be extracted, so maybe it is slightly more sophisticated than what I suggested above Wink

ɃɃ
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 10:59:14 PM

How long do you expect until people reverse engineer this and release a FLOSS variation of the standard?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 11:32:31 PM

How long do you expect until people reverse engineer this and release a FLOSS variation of the standard?

Firstly, where is there a standard?

Secondly, I doubt it is hard to find out. Most likely if you ask them, they point you to the patent describing how it works. From their commercial though it is clear that all that is stored in the image is a little snippet of information - an ID maybe. The actual link behind that ID can be changed on the server at any time. This way it heavily relies on a central database with very limited information in the picture stored highly redundant. Storing a whole business card in a picture readable when offline would surely distort it much more.

ɃɃ
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 11:52:51 PM

Storing a whole business card in a picture readable when offline would surely distort it much more.

How about a vector image?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 08:07:33 AM

For the fun of it:

[...]

and yes, even at this small scale the information can be extracted, so maybe it is slightly more sophisticated than what I suggested above Wink
+1, nice work, gisz!
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2011, 09:36:59 AM

Storing a whole business card in a picture readable when offline would surely distort it much more.

How about a vector image?

I don't understand. The difference between vector and bitmap is only in the storage format. QR-like codes work even after printing when the storage format is "ink on paper".
Sure in an SVG you can embed arbitrary information. You can add a whole book without violating the SVG standard and without distorting the image's visual representation Wink

Check it out. It's 3.9MB and for convenience I put the bible as the title but other and new tags are perfectly allowed in the standard:

ɃɃ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: