Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:21:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of LocalBitcoins.com  (Read 14849 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 06:39:40 PM

I am not against competition, far from it.

I ask because I am curious:  what exactly do they think will make people use their service instead of someone else (localbitcoins for example).

In other words:  what is their unique selling proposition?  What sets them appart?  What makes them better?

If they do not have a differentiating factor then they are just a "me too".  Nothing wrong with that really but I won't move to another site unless it is better in some way.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
madken7777

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 07:03:47 PM

I ask because I am curious:  what exactly do they think will make people use their service instead of someone else (localbitcoins for example).

In other words:  what is their unique selling proposition?  What sets them appart?  What makes them better?

If they do not have a differentiating factor then they are just a "me too".  Nothing wrong with that really but I won't move to another site unless it is better in some way.

Localbitocin unique position is let local buyer and seller trade with each other rather than relying on the traditional banking system to use wire to transfer money aboard to one of the main exchanges to buy and sell.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 07:09:17 PM

I ask because I am curious:  what exactly do they think will make people use their service instead of someone else (localbitcoins for example).

In other words:  what is their unique selling proposition?  What sets them appart?  What makes them better?

If they do not have a differentiating factor then they are just a "me too".  Nothing wrong with that really but I won't move to another site unless it is better in some way.

Localbitocin unique position is let local buyer and seller trade with each other rather than relying on the traditional banking system to use wire to transfer money aboard to one of the main exchanges to buy and sell.

You are not following the thread.  I use localbitcoins all the time.  I know them.  I trust them.  My questions are directed at http://www.100bit.co.in/

I am asking http://www.100bit.co.in/ what they are planning to do that will be better or different than localbitcoins.  I ask them because they advertized in this thread about localbitcoins.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 09:11:06 AM

+1

I also want to know the same Smiley

steelbuzz

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:39:14 AM

You never posted any real evidence of people being arrested for simply trading BitCoin through localbitcoins....

Pretty sure he just made it up because he's naive and paranoid....
ben1

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:01:21 PM

I've never had any real problems with localbitcoins.com, if I can move the cash out of my account I know it's legit and can release btc, if not then I don't. So simple. Although I've had several scam attempts that caused my btc to be locked up for a few days, and some check return fees, but I'm okay with that. I want the buyer experience to be priority so we can get more btc adoption. More competition for localbitcoins would also be awesome, as long as the UX for buyers is good.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 04:07:31 PM

You never posted any real evidence of people being arrested for simply trading BitCoin through localbitcoins....

Pretty sure he just made it up because he's naive and paranoid....

doesnt have to be. little bit of paranoya is good for you.
you never know who you are going to meet, so its good to be carefull.
personaly all my experiences were just awesome.
joshraban76

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 04:31:50 PM

Even if the trade is ok, you might end with fake cash.

Although I was using LB before, but now, I stuck with trustworthy exchangers.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 08:20:06 PM

If it is a large transaction then I just have them meet me at my bank, I have the bank teller count and check the money, release the BTC, then usually deposit some and keep the rest.  For smaller transactions I test any bills that feel "funny" to me with a special marker.

Easy solutions to the "fake money issue", which it turns out is not a real concern after all.

coinmaster222

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:41:20 PM

This doesn't sound like a real world story to me. I really feel like most stuff in the op are just hyperboles. I trade there frequently and I haven't experienced any of the problems portrayed there.

joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:00:19 PM

If it is a large transaction then I just have them meet me at my bank, I have the bank teller count and check the money, release the BTC, then usually deposit some and keep the rest.  For smaller transactions I test any bills that feel "funny" to me with a special marker.

Easy solutions to the "fake money issue", which it turns out is not a real concern after all.

May you elaborate more about this

"For smaller transactions I test any bills that feel "funny" to me with a special marker."

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:37:26 PM

wtf!??!!? Are you absolutely SURE there are undercover police trying to nab people simply for buying BTC?

I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt it.....  Huh Huh Huh

I think it is actually police nabbing people for selling it without following AML/KYC laws.

There is a case in FL where some guy was selling BTC at a massive markup and the UC told him that he was going to use the BTC for very illigal purposes. They arrested him on a bunch of charges, all related to selling BTC.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 12:55:39 PM

I don't understand why people don't just buy from trusted exchanges instead of going to the trouble to meet someone IRL with not only a chance of getting scammed but paying a lot more for the BTC then they're worth (at time of purchase).

BiTJack

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:08:38 PM

Wow thanks for the heads up man. I have used that exchange couple of times but i didn't know the buyer can cancel the trade and seller can't thats not good. I'll sure think again dealing in future there.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:09:35 PM

I don't understand why people don't just buy from trusted exchanges instead of going to the trouble to meet someone IRL with not only a chance of getting scammed but paying a lot more for the BTC then they're worth (at time of purchase).

People want to make trades in an uncentralized fashion
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:37:01 PM

If you deal with a "trusted" exchanged you still have the possibility of getting "GOXed"

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 09:58:53 PM

Wow thanks for the heads up man. I have used that exchange couple of times but i didn't know the buyer can cancel the trade and seller can't thats not good. I'll sure think again dealing in future there.

Where did u get this part that says a Seller cant cancel a trade ?

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 10:14:48 PM

Where did u get this part that says a Seller cant cancel a trade ?
If the seller has set it up for full escrow then the seller cannot cancel the trade.  This feature is used when the people are not going to meet face to face (bank transfers, WU, PayPal, etc.).  I always meet face to face for cash so I do not use the full escrow service.  Instead I simply fund the transaction to show that I have the BTC ready for the buyer, we meet, they give me the cash, I count it, then I release the BTC to them.  Simple.  If they don't show I just cancel the transaction and my BTC are released back to me.

If you use the site correctly there are no issues.  It is a great site.  Use it all the time.  Never had any issues at all.

letprice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Earn Mined-Sized BTC Through CoinPiler.com

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 11:44:53 PM

The #1 Problem with their site is the Escrow service - localbitcoins.com requires sellers of BTC to put their coins in Escrow - this is a huge F#&K%!G MISTAKE.

So you want to say the whole localbitcoins things are fake where every day hundreds of successful transaction performing..!?

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 12:30:14 AM

The #1 Problem with their site is the Escrow service - localbitcoins.com requires sellers of BTC to put their coins in Escrow - this is a huge F#&K%!G MISTAKE.

This is not true.  You are not required to put your coins in escrow.  The seller might choose to put the coins in escrow because the buyer might request that, or because the buyers might feel more comfortable but for in person cash face to face transactions simply funding the transaction without turning on the escrow function works just fine.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: