Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:12:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get rid of doubled transactions  (Read 2582 times)
djeZo (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:56:57 PM

I am visiting http://pywallet.tk/ and seeing this:

Delete transactions from your wallet

Under “Delete a key from your wallet:”
    Key is the hash of the transaction you want to delete (type “all” to delete them all)
    Type: Transaction

So, I can remove these transactions manually, right? Will this method work? I cannot afford to put my service to halt again for an hour.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:03:41 PM

I guess it is kinda like quickbooks (or other accounting software) vs online banking.  It is far easier to use accounting software and then link to online banking to pull the incoming and outgoing txs then it is to somehow try to use online banking for accounting.

Actually as a user of traditional accounting software I can assure you that "it is nothing like that" and why I (and many others) don't even *touch* the Bitcoin "accounts" functionality.

Although the Bitcoin devs are amazing in what they can do - they don't seem to understand "accounting" much at all.

I might not have been clear but I agree.

Bitcoind = equivalent of online banking
Bitcoin accounting (i.e. custom backend) = equivalent of traditional accounting software

Most users will find out eventually they don't want to try and do accounting in the wallet just like you wouldn't want to try to do accounting using online banking. Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:07:17 PM

I am visiting http://pywallet.tk/ and seeing this:

Delete transactions from your wallet

Under “Delete a key from your wallet:”
    Key is the hash of the transaction you want to delete (type “all” to delete them all)
    Type: Transaction

So, I can remove these transactions manually, right? Will this method work? I cannot afford to put my service to halt again for an hour.

Correct.  If one of the tx is already confirmed you should be able to just delete the other one using pywallet.  If neither tx is confirmed and you delete one it is possible that is the one which ends up confirmed in which case you would need to go back and delete the other transaction.  Also until confirmed it is possible another node may re-relay the transaction you deleted.

Always make a fresh backup before using pywallet, it is a low level tool and very powerful.  It does exactly what you tell it to even if you are doing something "stupid" like deleting funded private keys.  You can loose funds if you make a mistake in pywallet without a backup.
djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:10:29 PM

Backups are not the issue, have few of them. I am more interested whether this method will work and work correctly. The total cleanup as suggested earlier completely messed all accounts. Suddenly for example, my fees account had a masive 1.5 BTC inside (from nowhere) and overall balance was like 2-3 BTC less than before.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:14:17 PM

Honestly I have no idea.  pywallet will delete the tx.  Will bitcoind "accounts" handle that incorrectly?  I don't know.  I don't think anyone knows for sure.  You will find the "accounts" are not a good feature in bitcoind.  It probably should be dropped from the mainline client.

Still if you made a backup RIGHT BEFORE "cleaning up" and it messed things up you just restore the backup you made immediately before doing the "cleanup".
djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:43:34 AM

I still haven't cleared them. But I read somewhere, that transactions "timeout". How long does it take for transaction to timeout?

Oh, forgot to mention this; I have several incoming malled transactions. These are still in the list.

djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:36:06 AM

OK, I tried again, this time deleting few malled transactions. End result? Some accounts were deleted/not linked with BTC address anymore. Just great.

So there is currently no solution whatsoever to get rid of these malled transactions...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: