Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:49:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Malleability - what is the official advice for developers with custom wallets?  (Read 1186 times)
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:03:20 AM

Hi guys,

I've been looking at the malleability problem in my own custom wallet which sits on top of bitcoind.

The only way I found to distinguish change transactions from deposits (a fundamental requirement) is to look at any inputs which get spent in the same transaction (by ID) as an unspent output is created.

Now, if malleability means that this transaction ID match is no longer reliable for mempool transactions, what I am supposed to use to distinguish change transactions?

Does this mean that mempool can no longer be used, full stop? Would be great to get some official advice on this.

Cheers, Paul.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:15:11 AM

Hi guys,

I've been looking at the malleability problem in my own custom wallet which sits on top of bitcoind.

The only way I found to distinguish change transactions from deposits (a fundamental requirement) is to look at any inputs which get spent in the same transaction (by ID) as an unspent output is created.

Now, if malleability means that this transaction ID match is no longer reliable for mempool transactions, what I am supposed to use to distinguish change transactions?

Does this mean that mempool can no longer be used, full stop? Would be great to get some official advice on this.

Cheers, Paul.

Bitcoin is not official. It is peer to peer. No masters, no rulers.
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:41:18 AM

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/
thenoblebot

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:27:01 AM

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/

Lol. Nice tongue in cheek match guys. Im thoroughly enjoying this  Grin
LarryLiu

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:04:14 AM

Hi guys,

Cheers, Paul.

Here was my proposal. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=459000.0
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 05:13:29 AM

Basically, I would recommend maintaining and tracking a "pre-signed" ID.  This is the hash of the tx without any script-sigs.  It is fairly straightforward to take a transaction and compute both IDs instantaneously.  Simply create a map/dictionary of PreSignID <--> TxID for all tx that you care about.  When new blocks come in, check the TxID as usual, but also compute the PreSignID and check whether you have a TxID associated with it.  If you do, treat that object as the original TxID (update your databases and the map).

Similarly, if you are querying directly whether a particular transaction is confirmed -- well you shouldn't have to do anything because you already updated the above map and DBs when you originally processed the tx.  For instance, if you were an exchange, above you would reassociate the new TxID with the customer account, and there would be no issue.

I am particularly fond of this because we it will help with multi-signature transactions, for parties to be able to reference particular unsigned/partially-signed transactions, while collecting signatures.  Though I'm pretty sure the payment protocol has some mechanism for this already... (does it?)

Also, if you are writing software that handles customer accounts, withdrawals etc.  You should have an explicit reissue/replace transaction function -- you would select the txID that you want to "reissue" and you would be sure to double-spend the original one, so that only one of them can be valid.  However, this has to be an explicit operation, since simply creating a new transaction with no context would, of course, not want to double-spend any unconfirmed tx.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:34:22 AM

Basically, I would recommend maintaining and tracking a "pre-signed" ID.  This is the hash of the tx without any script-sigs.  It is fairly straightforward to take a transaction and compute both IDs instantaneously. 

Thanks for the advice Smiley

Is there a way to generate the hash without script-sig using bitcoind, or do I need to parse the hex?
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 09:12:21 AM

Would this alternative solution also work:

• Keep a separate known set of change addresses which are used for no other purpose.
  • Do not credit change transactions until they have 1 confirm

?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: