Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:50:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commodity prices & self sufficient living  (Read 1246 times)
bitcodo (OP)

Activity: 509
Merit: 500

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 09:59:52 PM

I would appreciate if you know about that markets. What do you think where the price will go. I was wondering about the prices of food (corn, wheat, sugar) and energy. Also about solar & wind power products and farming land.

I see more people walking, bicycling; more balcony and roof gardens. My plan is to be more self sufficient. Be more self sufficient and that you don't depend so much on society is good, but does the prices of food, energy, land go up or down in crisis times?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:02:39 PM

I would appreciate if you know about that markets. What do you think where the price will go. I was wondering about the prices of food (corn, wheat, sugar) and energy. Also about solar & wind power products and farming land.

I see more people walking, bicycling; more balcony and roof gardens. My plan is to be more self sufficient. Be more self sufficient and that you don't depend so much on society is good, but does the prices of food, energy, land go up or down in crisis times?

Depends... in an inflationary crises, prices go up.  In a deflationary crises, prices go down.

Considering the levels of private and public debt prevalent in much of the world, my money would be on a deflationary crisis followed closely by an inflationary one.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bitcodo (OP)

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:09:31 PM

So, deflation spiral and then hyperinflation? Any time frame? Speculation. So wait for deflation; buy land, solar cells, wood, food,.. and enjoy (and sell some when inflation comes).
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:18:19 PM

So, deflation spiral and then hyperinflation? Any time frame? Speculation. So wait for deflation; buy land, solar cells, wood, food,.. and enjoy (and sell some when inflation comes).

Good plan..... if you can manage to have liquid assets at the bottom.  Cash will be hard to come by since interest rates will spike and bankruptcies will erase uninsured savings.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 10:40:48 PM

Good plan..... if you can manage to have liquid assets at the bottom.  Cash will be hard to come by since interest rates will spike and bankruptcies will erase uninsured savings.

bitcoin  Huh we can hope
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:55:54 PM

It all depends on how you think the future is most likely to be. If the dollar looses a lot of value, you might wanna get into another currency that you think will remain strong or stronger. If you think the economy is in recession, you should buy stocks in companies that do low-cost "entertainment" like movie studios, breweries, publishing companies etc. In a downturned economy, people might not go on holidays, but they still want some fun.

In crisis times I'd say energy prices go down(less production) and land prices goes down as there is less money around. Food can go all ways, depending on the reason and where the crisis originates. If the currency gets less valuable, imports will be more expensive, and so will food in general as it will be better for farmers to export. If the crisis is more widespread, and there is no large drop in the currency-exchange, food prices will be down as there is less money spent on food.

If you have a safe income, you should be safe either way.

Still - If you have the possibility to do some farming, you should do so for the sake of the joy of it. Also you get high quality food, collecting the vegs from the garden minutes before cooking, means that they are at their prime. Meat also have higher quality after the animal have lived a stress-free life and is slaughtered without any transport and other stresses just before it ends it's days. AFAIK this is very noticeable with free-range chicken vs store bought ones. Also pork that have been free-ranging gets a fuller taste, but beware of the males as the meat might turn foul-tasting in their pubery if they are not neutered.

If you wanna do alternative energy, wind is most likely most bang per buck, but YMMV. Methane might also be a good option for some.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
bitcodo (OP)

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:56:27 PM

A store of value in deflation would be fiat (but kept at home and not in bank)?
bitcoin?
gold & silver?
or will we have to trade them to get the best out of them and to not miss the transition to inflation where no fiat should be kept?

But wouldn't be the safest a can of food (we have to eat)?

Wanted speculations, but moved.
bitcodo (OP)

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:07:32 PM

If you think the economy is in recession, you should buy stocks in companies that do low-cost "entertainment" like movie studios, breweries, publishing companies etc. In a downturned economy, people might not go on holidays, but they still want some fun........Still - If you have the possibility to do some farming, you should do so for the sake of the joy of it. Also you get high quality food, collecting the vegs from the garden minutes before cooking, means that they are at their prime.

I already bought farming land. Playing with soil makes me more relaxed and we spend a LOT of money on bio food.

Maybe growing fruits and corn to produce alcohol? Entertainment for everyone!
Malawi

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 11:21:48 PM

If you think the economy is in recession, you should buy stocks in companies that do low-cost "entertainment" like movie studios, breweries, publishing companies etc. In a downturned economy, people might not go on holidays, but they still want some fun........Still - If you have the possibility to do some farming, you should do so for the sake of the joy of it. Also you get high quality food, collecting the vegs from the garden minutes before cooking, means that they are at their prime.

I already bought farming land. Playing with soil makes me more relaxed and we spend a LOT of money on bio food.

Maybe growing fruits and corn to produce alcohol? Entertainment for everyone!

By some reason I saw a nice way to do that the other day. Use a small bucket that have been fermented (don't know the english word for fermented liquid). Put a heating element(aquarium heater) tuned to around 45-50 degrees celsius  in the bucket, and place it inside a larger bucket with a lid on (but a small wenting hole, preferably with an active-coal filter to prevent smells.). The inner bucket should stand on a small platform. Then let it stand for a few days in the basement or other cold place and collect the dew that forms at the inside of the large bucket and runs to its bottom. This method is supposed to make high quality alcohol with little equipment, even though it's slower than the traditional methods, it's perfect for household use and then some(unless you should be a member of the AA Wink).

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:18:48 PM

People are jogging more because they can't afford gym
People are growing food themselves because they can't afford the supermarket
People's quality of life is going down, that is why you see what you mentioned, not because they want to be 'self-sufficient', whatever that means because working and buying food is just as 'self-sufficient' as spending time to grow your own food
bitcodo (OP)

Can't upload avatar

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 06:56:36 PM

People's quality of life is going down, that is why you see what you mentioned, not because they want to be 'self-sufficient', whatever that means because working and buying food is just as 'self-sufficient' as spending time to grow your own food

WTF

So you must be one of the guys driving to work in car (paying for gas), standing in queues; then work; then driving to gim (paying for gas & gim); then driving to shopping center, waiting in line, paying for garbage food....

Do you have any time, do you ever see the sun, do you ever look up and feel a snow flake droping on your face, do you know how nice strawberry smells?

I guess you have artifical vagina, your wife has vibrator and your parents made you with artificial insemination - because you have money.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:35:31 PM

Bear in mind also that despite all the general principles cited so far, we're living in a world where commodity prices are being heavily manipulated, in a multitude of ways. The Western governments stockpile huge amounts of all types of food (the EU is famous for "chocolate mountains" and "butter lakes"). Material commodities are also treated the same, but by large corporations, not governments.

Why? Well, their story is that it's economics ("protecting local markets"). But this is a blatant euphemism for "protecting profits", or worse, "controlling markets". Capitalism? No, it is not.

Vires in numeris
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 07:37:16 PM

WTF

So you must be one of the guys driving to work in car (paying for gas), standing in queues; then work; then driving to gim (paying for gas & gim); then driving to shopping center, waiting in line, paying for garbage food....

Do you have any time, do you ever see the sun, do you ever look up and feel a snow flake droping on your face, do you know how nice strawberry smells?

I guess you have artifical vagina, your wife has vibrator and your parents made you with artificial insemination - because you have money.

Driving in a car enables me to waste less time on travel, this makes me more productive
Gym allows me to use machines that let me optimize training for a specific goal, this makes me more productive
Time saved from being more productive, allows me to spend time with my children more often

PS: I don't wait in long lines, only monkeys alike the apple fans do that
PS2: My wife and me have our ways to spice up the relationship yes : - )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: