Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:40:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A play coin to learn about nodes, mining and other Bitcoin stuff.  (Read 199 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 10:49:01 AM

The entry cost for anything to do with Bitcoin has become extremely high. It's not just the price of the coins, but the cost of downloading the blockchain, and the purchase of mining rigs that may never become profitable. I would like to create an alternative that involves minimal costs ( ie. none for most members ).

I propose that we create a 'play' coin that uses the core software, but a different port and transaction identity. We can start a new blockchain, so there is no download overhead associated with it, apart from the software of course. We could use old mining software, so mining experiments would not require the purchase of an ASIC processor. The coins would have no value, so we could experiment with exchange and trading between members. No investment would be required, so it could be useful for new members of the crypto community. To prevent abuse, participation should be restricted to active members of the Bitcoin Talk forum.

I am happy to provide the domain name and hosting required for this project. What do you think of the idea?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
loicuagio1979

Activity: 378
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 12:13:21 PM

I highly appreciate your idea of Play coin. However, i think you'd better post it in Mining sector because it's a good place for having good ideas from experienced miners. Logically, it's impossible to trade unvalued coin because it owns no value at all, although the trading fee is very low.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 12:28:31 PM

They delete my posts in mining, so I've got the whole section on ignore. Besides, it's more about running a node and managing a wallet, than about mining. It's just that you can't maintain the blockchain without miners. I understand your point about trading, but one can always pretend to trade to get some experience without any risk ( or profit).

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
kitty94

Activity: 33
Merit: 26

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 01:20:17 PM

After seeing one of your posts I thought about running a master node, (I have never mined earlier and a big noob to the field, and I thought to gave it a try after reading some tutorials), But the size of the blockchain blew me off! It is more than 140GB!. It is literally thrice as the size of my wifi package and with the bandwidths provided by ISPs in my country, it will take forever to be downloaded. And I will never be able to buy an ASIC which could host the mining software.

Since I want to have a good exposure in the field (It has been a while since that I found something so amazes me like Bitcoin!) I am very much onboard with the idea. Though I do not have any previous technical experiences I am more than happy to contribute.

PS: I Really appreciate your approach towards newbies and beginners, Some members just bash newbies (All they do is criticizing and complaining that new users do not have any idea about the forum nor the technology [I know that is true in most cases, but some users are willing to learn, they just need a little guidance]) and here you are making an example out of you and showing the path to us!

PS again: Sorry for going off-topic in the previous paragraph, But it had to be said!

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 01:47:22 PM

Well this is as much for my education as well. I've still got a lot to learn.

It looks as if this project may be viable. I've got an offer of support from a legendary. There are going to be some problems, as there may not be a lot of nodes, and most of those will only be part time. It may be that we only guarantee peer connections in a couple of windows. The other alternative is for me to run a node on a server.

I want to emphasise that you won't make any money from this project, and you won't have to pay anything either. The coins will have no commercial value, and there are no plans to trade them outside the project.

saywhat

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 02:00:23 PM

This would be a great opportunity for people who are new to blockchain and cryptocurrency technology. It should be as transparent as possible.
Also wouldn't it be easier to create this project with all virtual tokens and virtual "mining"? This would prevent a lot of unnecessary hardware usage (mind those electricity bills). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 02:09:25 PM

I want to keep it as close as possible to the real core software. The hash power will be extremely low, so the difficulty level should mean that electricity costs for mining should be fairly low as well. The blockchain will be fairly small. It could be kept small by having a long block interval, say an hour or two, but I'll take advice on that. Smiley

Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 02:11:01 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (1)

Why not use Test Net?
- It is already there.
- It is bitcoin (just with a different blockchain)
- It can be used with bitcoin Core software
- It has no value and it will stay like it
- It is mineable the same was as bitcoin but with lower difficulty
- It doesn't require that much storage space
- ... if it did you can start a new Test Net from genesis block.

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 02:21:58 PM

I thought about using the test net. As you may have guessed, part of my reson for starting this project is to discover the problemsinvolved with starting a new coin, and I'm not sure that would be esy to do with the test net. I'm also interested in the options available for transferring coins.

I suppose I am really starting a new test net from a genesis block.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 03:51:12 PM

Needs adoption. Plus if it's just a "play" coin the initive wont be there.

I think that is quite a sad comment, and it shows how Bitcoin Talk has changed. It used to be an information exchange, and a good site for social interaction. It seems to have become a venue for bottom feeders trying to scratch a few coins for not much effort ( if any).

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2018, 06:58:03 AM

I'm definitely going to do this, and I'm putting together the website at the moment.

It won't be an airdrop, ICO or bounty programme, it will just be somewhere to learn, and experiment with running a node, and mining Bitcoin. There will be no payment expected for participation, and hopefully, I will be able to run a supporting discussion thread.

saywhat

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 01:54:47 PM

I'm definitely going to do this, and I'm putting together the website at the moment.

It won't be an airdrop, ICO or bounty programme, it will just be somewhere to learn, and experiment with running a node, and mining Bitcoin. There will be no payment expected for participation, and hopefully, I will be able to run a supporting discussion thread.
I hope to hear about your progress.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: