Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:15:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will any long term holders admit to cashing out or wanting to cash out?  (Read 2425 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Edward50 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:20:12 PM

I figure that with the price declines over the last weeks that some long term holders may want to cash out because of the constant losses.

Has anyone here cashed out or are seriously thinking about it?

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:24:24 PM

I figure that with the price declines over the last weeks that some long term holders may want to cash out because of the constant losses.

No.

They spend weeks professing that they are 'all in' and are HODLING, yet on every price slide they claim to have picked up lots of cheap coins thanks to 'weak hands' panicking. If their belief in Bitcoin was so resolute, where are they getting the capital to pick up over 200 BTC while they sleep (as BobShiteSurplus) claims to have done.

At what point down the ladder do these supposed 'cheap coins' become not so cheap?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:25:23 PM

As much as I'd like to say I live by my motto of HODL and TO THE MOON, I have to admit that I've sold coins twice to cash out.

Once at about 180 after the drop from 260 -50 and then again at 800 ish after the drop from 1200.

What can I say, I have bills to pay and the collectors don't take btc as of yet.
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:27:18 PM

But isn´t BTC about to go to the moon (5000-100000$) in the next 6 months?
Why would anyone sell?

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:27:26 PM

nope, i made a meme for u btw Cheesy

do u like it?
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:39:18 PM

I skim all the way up, and buy dips. I do it incrementally with small percentages on formulaic price movements, with a fraction of my capital. No emotion, mathematically certain to increase both BTC fiat in the long term - barring total failure. Though any gains I make buying back on dips will only ever be slight as that is all my risk tolerance will allow for.

"Cashing out" (I am assuming you mean 100% fiat) doesn't really seem like a solid investment strategy to me. That leaves you wide open to the black swan event of bitcoin crashing up. (Note my strategy is not bet the farm on this unlikely event happening, but hedge against it with cash I won't miss if it doesn't).

The failure scenario of BTC going to zero means I miss out on a whole bunch of theoretical profits, but I am well past the point where I will be net positive in fiat should it happen.

I believe BTC value will always be non zero, and I also believe that BTC value will positively correlate with the passage of time (in the medium to long term i.e. 10+ years). So my strategy is geared towards playing a safe long game, whilst also making sure to enjoy my investment a little along the way.

Mostly though, I plan on earning my retirement fund through more traditional means (work).

"BTC to da moon" would just be a nice bonus. At which point people can think what they like about how lucky I was, but they would never be able to suggest I didn't plan for it happening.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:39:50 PM

I also lose the odd side bet Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:42:00 PM

do u like it?
What kind of a fucking asshole finds a picture of a kid that he thinks looks goofy and posts it on a forum to signify stupid?
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:52:32 PM

I skim all the way up, and buy dips. I do it incrementally with small percentages on formulaic price movements, with a fraction of my capital. No emotion, mathematically certain to increase both BTC fiat in the long term - barring total failure. Though any gains I make buying back on dips will only ever be slight as that is all my risk tolerance will allow for.

"Cashing out" (I am assuming you mean 100% fiat) doesn't really seem like a solid investment strategy to me. That leaves you wide open to the black swan event of bitcoin crashing up. (Note my strategy is not bet the farm on this unlikely event happening, but hedge against it with cash I won't miss if it doesn't).

The failure scenario of BTC going to zero means I miss out on a whole bunch of theoretical profits, but I am well past the point where I will be net positive in fiat should it happen.

I believe BTC value will always be non zero, and I also believe that BTC value will positively correlate with the passage of time (in the medium to long term i.e. 10+ years). So my strategy is geared towards playing a safe long game, whilst also making sure to enjoy my investment a little along the way.

Mostly though, I plan on earning my retirement fund through more traditional means (work).

"BTC to da moon" would just be a nice bonus. At which point people can think what they like about how lucky I was, but they would never be able to suggest I didn't plan for it happening.
That sounds almost exactly like what I plan on doing. Still accumulating coins before I start doing that, but it shouldn't be more than a few month.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
sgbett
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:04:49 PM

That sounds almost exactly like what I plan on doing. Still accumulating coins before I start doing that, but it shouldn't be more than a few month.

Funny thing is as soon as my cash hit stamp (around 14:00 GMT) price started moving up again. hehe. typical.

Still, my orders are in. So now just sit and wait. I don't start skimming until well over previous ATH, I think around $1430 is my next sell order. Anything I pick up now means I'm able to make those sales and keep more BTC back for the endgame. When BTC *is* money.

podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:22:44 PM

do u like it?
What kind of a fucking asshole finds a picture of a kid that he thinks looks goofy and posts it on a forum to signify stupid?

This is the bad luck brian meme

have u never seen it before?

It wasn't anything serious anyway
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:23:06 PM

It's just a meme - and the kid isn't stupid, he's unlucky.

"Bad Luck Bryan" I think is the name.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 04:25:55 PM

I was selling the whole way up from $300 and I'm buying back the whole way down. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 so I regret not selling more near the top or buying more at the lows, but there's really no way for sure of knowing where those turning points are until after the fact. Long term hodlers are a hardy lot, hardened by many tribulations. The more disasters we survive, the easier it is to ride out the next one.

Someone wishing to purchase in bulk to build a large position should buy the dips in small amounts and wait to find a miner or hodler in a distressed financial situation to take advantage of.  Market sentiment is very negative right now, and in the past that has been an indication of a good time to buy.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
sir faps

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 04:26:43 PM

do u like it?

Welcome to the internet. First time here?
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:44:42 PM

Alright, sorry I missed that. I'm a bit irritated I missed $530 by an hour, but looks like I may have a shot at lower than that.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:49:11 PM

No.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:51:36 PM

No.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:54:54 PM

do u like it?

His name is Kyle and he even did a Reddit AMA once.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:56:40 PM

No.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
trepper

Activity: 89
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:57:32 PM

In fact, I've tried to cash in @503 (a 90 days+ old order!), gox ticker has fallen to 500, but gox never fullfiled my order.

Funny isn't it?

edit: but I'm quite sure it will fullfill it tomorrow, when the ticker will plunge to 300  Grin
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: