Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:59:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Old laptop with Bitcoin Folder  (Read 439 times)
BitcoinDummy (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 12:24:37 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

Hello everyone I found my old laptop and I turned it on and saw that there was a bitcoin folder all dated back from 2011 . And what I did next is to see if there an application on the laptop for bitcoin. I found it great!
but the thing is it prompted me to install a new bitcoin qt wallet software . I thought it would just open up but anyway Installed  it And it says zero balance.  Huh   Went back to check the wallet.dat file and the date has been changed to present day .
Does this mean I have overwritten it?
I did not save the wallet.dat file before installing the bitcoin core wallet again.
What must I do? Will system restore put the old back on file for that dated file?

It might have some  BTC in there . Any help will be greatly appreciated with BTCBTCBTC Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 12:40:37 PM

afaik, installing a new bitcoin wallet version will not overwrite wallet.dat
file date (modified date) changes usually as a result of wallet file has been updated
check that wallet.dat's properties, if its creation date is recent date then it's a new file Lips sealed
do you see old transactions in your wallet? is it fully synced yet?

BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 01:27:07 PM

I don’t see any old transactions in the wallet . But on the database there are logs . Not sure if those were transactions. . It doesn’t say anywhere out of sync . All I did was redownload and the date changed from 2011 to 2018 wallet.dat just this one changed .
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16548

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2018, 02:44:09 PM

First: create a backup of your wallet.dat! Then, create another backup.

Let's proceed from there Tongue

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 05:22:45 PM

Backed it up already.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 05:40:51 PM

the date changed from 2011 to 2018 wallet.dat just this one changed .

Is that the date created or the date modified? what does it say at the top of that menu?

Try right clicking>properties>details/attributes and see if the date created is listed as 2011 as LoyceV said.

Backed it up already.
Is the date on the backup 2018 or 2011. Did you back it up before the reinstall - if so, there's nothing to worry about (there probably isn't anything to worry about anyway.

The 0 balance is probably due to your wallet not syncing yet, how far is it behind?

1. If you click File>receiving addresses is there an address listed there (should begin with a 1 in the table) - just as a test for whether the wallet file is corrupted or not.

2. In the bottom right of the screen is there a closed padlock?
BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 11:07:25 PM

Date created is 2011.

I did not back it up  coz I saw the app was still there .
I opened and I ended up reinstalling it.

The only date thing  that change is the date on wallet.dat file which says 2018
Every other folder says 2011 . I didn’t open or try to modify the wallet.dat file
Btcspot

Activity: 186

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 02:36:26 AM

Hi go here try read https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/67934/how-can-i-make-my-old-wallet-dat-work-in-a-newer-client?rq=1
BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 01:29:17 AM

I have the bitcoin version 0.3.22-beta
 This does not apply on my version . It does not have the debug window
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2018, 11:53:33 AM

@OP

Did you manage to access your bitcoin / private keys ?

If not and if you have the assumption your old wallet has been overwritten, you might stop using your computer and try to restore the overwritten file (but back your current wallet.dat up on a different storage device).
There are quite a few user friendly recovery tools available on the internet.

Did you let core sync before looking at the transaction history ?
Or did you check the addresses for transactions in a block explorer?

mrb000

Activity: 30

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 02:24:31 PM

Contact me
mrb.rc08@gmail.com
https://t.me/mrb_0

(dear moderators, this is public information please don't delete)
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 02:53:42 PM

Contact me
mrb.rc08@gmail.com
https://t.me/mrb_0

(dear moderators, this is public information please don't delete)

Why would they delete it?
Do you still have the old wallet app, as it will not sync with the new blockchain due to a copule of forks (there was one at 0.8.5 fore example that will make it impossible for your old version of bitcoin core to sync).
Does your wallet folder have a debug.log in it, could you post that in its entirety?

Finding the debug.log file:
1. If your folder with your bitcoin app has a blocks and chainstate folder then your debug.log will be in the same directory as your bitcoin wallet.
2. If not, go to C:\users\<username>\appdata\local\bitcoin or c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\bitcoin and the debug.log should be in one of these.
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 05:01:15 PM

Hello everyone I found my old laptop and I turned it on and saw that there was a bitcoin folder all dated back from 2011 . And what I did next is to see if there an application on the laptop for bitcoin. I found it great!
but the thing is it prompted me to install a new bitcoin qt wallet software . I thought it would just open up but anyway Installed  it And it says zero balance.  Huh   Went back to check the wallet.dat file and the date has been changed to present day .
Does this mean I have overwritten it?
I did not save the wallet.dat file before installing the bitcoin core wallet again.
What must I do? Will system restore put the old back on file for that dated file?

It might have some  BTC in there . Any help will be greatly appreciated with BTCBTCBTC Thanks.
Can you tell us that you do at least remember if your wallet is holding any Bitcoin when you have left it stored away in your "old laptop"? Because I am not following your story as you seemed to be surprised on finding out that your laptop has a old wallet.dat file in a folder dated 2011. With how the way you explained your story it seems to me that you might just be retrieving something in your wallet that you don't know if it exist or not, you don't even know if you have transactions with your old wallet.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 01:19:37 AM

Tried sending some btc on receiving address . It has been confirmed ..but did not show up on the wallet.
Do I have to be connected online?

@bob123 no I did not get the private keys
On the bottom it says 0 connections 143450 blocks 0 transactions nothing else no padlock sign or anything

My question is will system restore put the last wallet.dat file back again with correct date?
Because I am concerned the old wallet .dat file has been overwritten. I don’t know..

@jack no there is no padlock sign on software version I have.
There’s 2 address in there both starts at 1
Date created is 2011

@theb I cannot say for sure but back in the day I used to trade on forums , get some btc from faucets and trade
It . I’m just not sure if there is any left . I stopped doing it coz I have started other online business. No I am not surprised coz I know I have downloaded the wallet when it actually first came out.

I wouldn’t want to waste anybody’s time with this ,so please unfollow if you think there is no
Btc in the wallet.
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2018, 09:52:33 AM

Tried sending some btc on receiving address . It has been confirmed ..but did not show up on the wallet.

Your client has to be fully synced to show your recent transactions.
Currently you are at block 143450. The latest block is 530552.

You won't see any transactions which were included in a block after the latest block of your local blockchain/chainstate (in your case: each block after 143450).

To see your coins/transaction you have to wait until core if fully synced (which can take quite some time), or you can export your private keys and import them into a lightweigt wallet if you don't want to wait.

My question is will system restore put the last wallet.dat file back again with correct date?
Because I am concerned the old wallet .dat file has been overwritten. I don’t know..

You are talking about the in-built restoring functionality in windows, aren't you?
It might work, but unfortunately it doesn't in most of the cases.

In case you have overwritten your wallet file, a better approach would be to not touch your computer anymore and make an image of your hard drive (e.g. with linux dd).
And then run a recovery software on this image to find any *.dat files (e.g. with recuva).

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16548

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2018, 09:52:54 AM

Yes. Obviously, the balance can't be updated without internet connection.
Are you still using the old version of Bitcoin Core? I don't think it's still compatible with the latest blocks, and you'll need to download 185 GB (the full blockchain) before your new transaction will become visible.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:53:54 AM

you're using core, you need to download the whole blockchain to get the correct balance on your address
currently, the full bockchain size is around ~170GB? are you sure you want to sync up your core?

On the bottom it says 0 connections 143450 blocks 0 transactions nothing else no padlock sign or anything
it's not fully synced, so your wallet will not show related txs past block 143450
current block is 530550, your wallet's latest block of 143450 is dated 2011-09-01

There’s 2 address in there both starts at 1
Date created is 2011
---snip---
I wouldn’t want to waste anybody’s time with this ,so please unfollow if you think there is no
Btc in the wallet.
are you sure only those two addresses that you ever used before?
can you tell us those addresses, so we can check on explorer and give you advice
or you can do it yourself, open any web blockchain explorer and check your addresses' balance there
try these: btc.com or blockchain.com

edit: I just noticed 2 replies when I'm about to post Lips sealed, sorry for any redundant info

BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 04:33:22 AM

System restore wouldn’t work . The one and only checkpoint for restore is july5
If I needed to restore , it has to be June 30. Wallet has btc .
If you want to help , please list it step by step like I’m a 10yr old kid.  Cheesy
Note: Laptop is old , battery sucks and Hard drive is full . I’m in a process of deleting files to accommodate
The file needed to be downloaded.
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2018, 06:14:15 AM

If you want to help , please list it step by step like I’m a 10yr old kid.  Cheesy
Note: Laptop is old , battery sucks and Hard drive is full . I’m in a process of deleting files to accommodate
The file needed to be downloaded.

I have already mentioned how the general approach does work. More detailed information can be found on the internet.

In case you have overwritten your wallet file, a better approach would be to not touch your computer anymore and make an image of your hard drive (e.g. with linux dd).
And then run a recovery software on this image to find any *.dat files (e.g. with recuva).

Every information you need can be found on the internet.
For tutorials on how to create images with dd, look here. And for a guide on how to use recuva, look here.

BitcoinDummy (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 07:07:51 AM

https://i.imgur.com/BvjiQja.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: