Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:02:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: #OccupyWallStreet Idea - Massive promotion  (Read 9253 times)
Disposition

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:33:27 PM

I just spoke to Yifu via IRC and apparently he bought the domain bitinitiative.com awhile ago with the plan to use for the purpose of "bringing the virtual Bitcoins into the physical world." he can just use that or he's also happy to register that www.operationbitcoin.org domain and handle a lot of the stuff mentioned since he said there is similar plans in motion.

If that is the domain we want to go with, a poll might be useful here for us to decide.

He also mentioned it may be good to wait slightly until tomorrow's meet up, since he says the if global revolution people are show up we might able to coordinate better, but for now let the ideas fly  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 11:57:05 PM

Other ideas?

The only thing _I_ can think of off hand is to ping the instawallet folk to make sure they don't mistake a the system for a DOS of some sort and are otherwise cool with things.

It would be kinda cool to me if the system could be as open-source as possible, but I've not thought things through very fully on this front...I'm supposed to be working Smiley  If the system presents a real-time log of funds going into the pool and being disbursed to visitors, that would be a big plus to me.

The amount that I will donate will depend a great deal on the accountability inherent in the system.  Also, the farther this thing stays away from Bruce and any of his associates, the better I will feel about it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:12:40 AM

Perfect time and place to promote bitcoin.  They should have some reading material at the very least there.  I saw they have a Library Smiley.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:29:49 AM

I guess the appropriate question is - is there someone who would like to step up and lead this?  Needs a dedicated leader at this point. I'll donate 3 btc to the project if it gets off the ground, and I would be happy to write the wording on the card/flyer.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 12:34:46 AM

I guess the appropriate question is - is there someone who would like to step up and lead this?  Needs a dedicated leader at this point. I'll donate 3 btc to the project if it gets off the ground, and I would be happy to write the wording on the card/flyer.

Deslok and I are over in #operationbitcoin discussing. I can lead part of this project. I think at this point we just need to solicit pledges for when/if the project launches (1-2 days?).

Anyone interested in contributing BTC/assistance/other please post your pledge here.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 12:43:23 AM

My plan would be to get things going with the said 0.01BTC per card but with donations remaining open after getting things rolling so please don't print "1cBTC" on them. Maybe it would even be a good idea to charge them a bit randomly so people check if they got one of the three 50$ cards.

I would donate 1BTC to an escrow now but if the cards look cool without typos and if it gets media attention I would pay another 3 later.

I would also donate the other 3 only if I get some media on how the cards actually got distributed and not handed over to some kids to bulk-scan the codes for some of the "helpers".

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:04:56 AM

Deslok and I are over in #operationbitcoin discussing. I can lead part of this project. I think at this point we just need to solicit pledges for when/if the project launches (1-2 days?).

Anyone interested in contributing BTC/assistance/other please post your pledge here.

I'll pledge 10 BTC to start.  If there is reasonable accountability, nothing 'Bold Funding'-like pops up, and nobody else comes along and does a demonstrably better job, I'll put in another 25 BTC (but I reserve the right to adjust for market fluctuation.)  I'm not very familiar with 'trentzb' and 'deslok's ravings on this forum, and expect that people will fully understand a high degree of suspicion for...well...just about anything involving Bitcoin.

I would prefer that evoorhees were a core member of this group if he/she is interested.  I have some confidence in him/her for some reason I cannot put my finger on.  (But then I has some confidence in Bruce also...) Sad  I liked the general theme of the wording outlined in the OP and thought it would be effective for this purpose.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 01:15:22 AM

I'm happy to contribute a decent amount of Bitcoins as well.

I didn't see it mentioned,  but I don't think using Instawallet is the best idea for this.
Any Bitcoins at unclaimed URLs will be lost.

Lets make this project happen!

carbonpenguin

Activity: 236

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:35:14 AM

FYI - PayPal troubles seem to be beginning for the occupation: http://feedtheprotest.com/node/219
Why not teach them to accept bitcoin? (feedtheprotest org. that is)

I'm a little confused too Tongue since matt aka carbonpenguin has told me he has connections to the people behind it, if it's the technical that's bothering you I'm sure Yifu Guo and his crew will love to help you if you go to the meetup on this Wednesday, he is a bright young man. Also Yifu has made a reddit post on this matter http://redd.it/ktai9

I just convinced the guy doing the tech work on FeedTheProtest to start accepting BTC - I'm writing the text of the post to introduce the concept as well as announce the address. Below is what I've written so far; any suggestions for revisions would be appreciated:

As our [recent experience with PayPal] has all too painfully demonstrated, relying exclusively on corporate payment processing to fund a movement that seeks to undermine corporate power is a risky proposition. As such, we at Feed the Protest have decided to begin accepting donations in Bitcoin, the anonymous open source peer-to-peer currency that was used to help fund Wikileaks when they [faced similar issues]. To learn more about how Bitcoin works, visit [We Use Coins], and, to get your hands on some, the major exchange can be found at https://mtgox.com. It is our hope that the PayPal situation will be resolved soon, but we can be certain that all Bitcoin payments will, in fact, go through. Send your Bitcoins to: [XXXXXXX]
carbonpenguin

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:36:28 AM

I will also throw in a few coins once this project is finalized...
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:38:09 AM

As our [recent experience with PayPal] has all too painfully demonstrated, relying exclusively on corporate payment processing to fund a movement that seeks to undermine corporate power is a risky proposition. As such, we at Feed the Protest have decided to begin accepting donations in Bitcoin, the anonymous open source peer-to-peer currency that was used to help fund Wikileaks when they [faced similar issues]. To learn more about how Bitcoin works, visit [We Use Coins], and, to get your hands on some, the major exchange can be found at https://mtgox.com. It is our hope that the PayPal situation will be resolved soon, but we can be certain that all Bitcoin payments will, in fact, go through. Send your Bitcoins to: [XXXXXXX]

That's really well-worded. Great key points, succinct and well-toned =)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:39:08 AM

I'm also interested in this and would be happy to make a donation.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
slothbag

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:40:20 AM

Why not have the card say "free your money etc" and include a link to bitcoin.org and a link pointing to the Bitcoin Faucet for free coins.

Then everyone donate to the faucet.. already 10btc there.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:44:34 AM

Why not have the card say "free your money etc" and include a link to bitcoin.org and a link pointing to the Bitcoin Faucet for free coins.

LOL that's a really good idea also =)  We're discussing it in the IRC room #operationbitcoin
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 01:49:06 AM

I didn't see it mentioned,  but I don't think using Instawallet is the best idea for this.
Any Bitcoins at unclaimed URLs will be lost.

Why? It would be perfectly ok to have an intermediate page (project.org/claim/your_code) where we explain that any instawallet account used in this campaign will remain legal property of the campaigners and be emptied at some point. Of course the one filling the accounts will not forget all the urls. Also it is good practice to not leave your money at instawallet waiting for the next hacker so the project page could also link to how to install and protect a local client.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 01:51:35 AM

LOL that's a really good idea also =)  We're discussing it in the IRC room #operationbitcoin

i don't like the faucet as it collects email addresses. just a thought ...
sometimes new ideas are "better" as new ideas give new momentum and new people to good old ideas so I would stick with the "some money per card". If Gavin cooperates and provides us with redeem codes that you can use instead of gmail addresses, that would be an option.

ɃɃ
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:51:47 AM

FYI - PayPal troubles seem to be beginning for the occupation: http://feedtheprotest.com/node/219
Why not teach them to accept bitcoin? (feedtheprotest org. that is)

I'm a little confused too Tongue since matt aka carbonpenguin has told me he has connections to the people behind it, if it's the technical that's bothering you I'm sure Yifu Guo and his crew will love to help you if you go to the meetup on this Wednesday, he is a bright young man. Also Yifu has made a reddit post on this matter http://redd.it/ktai9

I just convinced the guy doing the tech work on FeedTheProtest to start accepting BTC - I'm writing the text of the post to introduce the concept as well as announce the address. Below is what I've written so far; any suggestions for revisions would be appreciated:

I think you should promote exchangebitcions.com instead of Mt. Gox.  Not because I work for them or anything but because they are by far the easiest way to get money in and out (deposits via BOA and withdraws by ACH or Check. .  Plus they are US based.   Dealing with Mt. Gox to get money in there can be a turnoff to some.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 02:06:24 AM

I think that this project would be better served by trying to avoid any tie-in with any established or upcoming for-profit organization, bitcoin related or otherwise.  If/when they reference any such organization, I would be more comfortable if the label lived amongst a list of all such organization, or better yet, was simply a pointer to such a list at bitcoin.org.  (I mention this due to the specific pointer to Mt Gox in the proposed letter.  By the same token, I would prefer that instawallet be encouraged to supply links to more than just Tradehill if that service is to be leveraged for this project.)

I would like it if whoever purchases the domain name to promise that it not be sold and to put up a 'closed' static page if/when it is retired.  It is more important to me that the domain name be in escrow than any funding.

I think that any person or organization making donations (either financial or technical) should be listed if they wish to be, but that the project should not show any sign of giving preferential treatment to such an organization due to such a contribution.

These are just my suggestions.  I've no interest in or ability to make demands.  I will, of course, be more likely to contribute to the project if I feel that my contribution will not be abused at some point and will end up promoting a more healthy ecosystem.  And I do NOT feel the domination by a small number of large players contributes to this.  I'll be pissed if I contribute to this thing, it goes well, then gets gobbled up by Tradehill or Mt Gox.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 02:10:38 AM

a) instead of writing some external script to generate and fund all the instawallet urls, why not just ask the owners of instawallet to generate them in-house and give you the list? it would be far more efficient.

b) i was also thinking a way to get more people to redeem their links would be to have *some* of them contain 1 or 5 or maybe 10 btc.... (while most contain 0.01 btc, they could be like those instant scratch lottery tickets where you win 'up to' a certain amount... a top prize).
carbonpenguin

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 02:12:33 AM

I've changed the exchange pointer to bitcoin.org, and the announcement is now online http://feedtheprotest.com/node/223
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: