Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:15:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My prediction: Bitcoin will flatline until the big event in 2012  (Read 2955 times)
bitcola (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 07:31:26 PM

When the dominoes start to fall in Europe and spread to major world markets, the big one, the depression, I predict this is when many people will suddenly flock to BTC and there will be a huge spike and higher closes each day for a week.

Even precious metals are not immune to the depression as holding will be liquidated, demand for industrial use diminishes etc.

Bitcoin has none of these problems. As the stock market closes lower each day, people will panic to find somewhere where they can stash their money. Bitcoins will be one such area.

Due to the limited size of the market, the price spike will be incredible.

Mark my words, it's coming, some time in 2012.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 07:34:30 PM

Please expand this. How do you see the precious market then? And why 2012? A Great Depression and WW3 (a 3rd generation war) are very likely to happen.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Minsc

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 08:13:26 PM

David Icke predicted these.

* 2012 will be an illusion and a trick.  2016 or so will be the real year
* There will be a World War 3 caused by the same people who then offer a solution to the war.  The solution will be a one world government.
* The one world government will strip individual liberties away.

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 08:35:37 PM

OP:

I think that the possibility of something akin to what you predict is distinct and has a high enough probability for me to have put a pretty significant bet on.

That said, I still consider the odds of things working out that way and my being able to capitalizing on it in the face of various possible roadblocks are pretty low.  I expect to either lose all of my bet, or in a more hopeful case to sort of break even in the end.

If Bitcoin as a system and network does not fail completely it might still be leveraged as a mechanism of transferring assets around in unfavorable environments (e.g., under a currency controlled regime.)  I hope that this utility, if nothing else, props up demand and thus value to some level.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 08:49:48 PM

My prediction: Bitcoin will flatline until the big event in 2012
No, Bitcoin will be the big even in 2k12. ¬.¬

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 09:32:08 PM

Unfortunatly bitcoins have not yet proven any correlation to EUR, USD, Gold indexes or anything like that.
Although BTC may have the potential to mark a true alternative to ordinary stores of value, that rise while economies go down (like precious metals), it is not yet SAVE enough to provide just that for investors: Price Stability

If you want to save your assets from inflation you turn them into relative price stable values, like gold, real estate, (CHF), rare artwork,...
to preserve their value. While BTC provides the potential to do just that, it has to migrate from being mainly object to speculation to a fairly stable asset. Just take a look to the past 5 month USD/BTC rates and then try to imagine what YOU would do if you had a large amount of money that you ve worked hard for, that you want to put in a save haven while depression lurks around the corner. Would you rather invest in the traditional assets that have proven reliable in times of economic downturn or would put all you have in that fancy new "fad" called bitcoin?...

I knew it.

P.S.: If you can prove to me (lets say by charts, some real evidence..) that BTC rises in times of economic downturn while other currencies fall, id be anxious to read it!

Cheers
bitcola (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 05:29:35 PM

Yes, there is a lack of correlation, be it positive (e.g. with other safe have assets) or negative (compared with e.g. fiat currencies). If it just does it's own thing, that's fine by me.

Make no mistake, 2008 was scary as hell but everything that has been done since has only stored the problem up for later and made it worse than it would have otherwise been.

We keep seeing reprieve after reprieve. I think that the house of cards is going to fall anytime between now and 2012.

I think bitcoins will stand on their own against all the craziness that will ensue. Maybe the only thing it will be correlated with in some way is electricity prices due to the mining factor.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 06:09:54 PM

That's like saying the world will end after the last minutes of December 31st, that's the end of the calendar...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2011, 10:43:28 PM

That's like saying the world will end after the last minutes of December 31st, that's the end of the calendar...
Actually their calender ends at Dec 21.
But it isn't a arbitrary date either like our calender "after Jesus Christ" but rather calculated to coincide with unique constellations of the solar system.

In a manner of speaking it is the ultimate Astrology... if you believe in that Wink  
That's why McKennas I'Ching stuff (Timewave Zero) happens to end at the same moment as the Mayan Calender.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 11:01:32 PM

IMO the odds are that if somthing big happen it will be 'cause a bunch of people went crazy thinking the world is about to end, a self-fulfilling prophecy if you may

Do you like mmmBananas?!
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 11:05:20 PM

please tell me you are all kidding.  no one actually believes in the 2012 apocalypse bullshit, right? b/c thats just as retarded as the mason stuff from a month ago.

so here's a question, if the mayans could read the future, why didnt they see the spanish conquistadors coming?

TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 11:20:42 PM

Perhaps they were farsighted? ¬.¬

Do you like mmmBananas?!
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 11:54:49 PM

But it isn't a arbitrary date either like our calender "after Jesus Christ" but rather calculated to coincide with unique constellations of the solar system.

In a manner of speaking it is the ultimate Astrology... if you believe in that Wink  
That's why McKennas I'Ching stuff (Timewave Zero) happens to end at the same moment as the Mayan Calender.

Ahem.  It is really a lot more like the transition from 1999 to 2000 in our calendar.  They just didn't bother to publish tables more than a few hundred years into the future, so it appears to end there.

And no matter how hard I try, I am unable to figure out any possible meaning in the phrase "unique constellations of the solar system".

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:04:21 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2011, 12:15:57 AM by Otoh

please tell me you are all kidding.  no one actually believes in the 2012 apocalypse bullshit, right? b/c thats just as retarded as the mason stuff from a month ago.

so here's a question, if the mayans could read the future, why didnt they see the spanish conquistadors coming?

quite possibly they did 'see' the shadow of that which was to be happening, but what could they have done about it, like the native american indians, like the australian aborigines - a few thousands against a new world (Europe) of millions with advanced tech, forget it, it's a long game that has to be played

poll: on 11.11.11 will BTC price in US $ be < or > $1.11

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:06:56 AM

And no matter how hard I try, I am unable to figure out any possible meaning in the phrase "unique constellations of the solar system".
Some astrology shit i imagine.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:09:14 AM

please tell me you are all kidding.  no one actually believes in the 2012 apocalypse bullshit, right? b/c thats just as retarded as the mason stuff from a month ago.

quite possibly they did 'see' the shadow of that what was to be happening, but what could they have done about it, like the native american indians - a few thousands against a new world (Europe) of millions with advanced tech, forget it, it's a long game that has to be played

poll: on 11.11.11 will BTC price in US $ be < or > $1.11
I wouldn't be surprised if it was around $11.11

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:10:15 AM

The Mayan calendar affects me just as much as Jupiter traversing 'near' the moon means I'll have a bad day tomorrow.  I had a conspiracy minded friend once who swore that in 1999 the world would end because the planets would line up and cause 'powerful forces' to destroy Earth.  He didn't seem to remember that prediction a few years later.  Funny that.

Maybe the Mayans just got bored with writing a calendar hundreds of years into the future and decided to stop.  The calendar on my wall finishes at 31 December 2011.  I guess that's the end of the world as there's nothing after that.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 12:11:55 AM

I'd like to say I'm surprised people are bringing up the Mayans but I'm not... this forum is just like that.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 01:02:17 AM

I'd like to say I'm surprised people are bringing up the Mayans but I'm not... this forum is just like that.

The Mayans predicted you would say that
TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 01:16:38 AM

The Mayans predicted your mother.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: