Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:30:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How does a Thorium reactor work?  (Read 8883 times)
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 01:45:56 AM

or did you mean this

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=21577.0

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:37:36 AM

I think compressing hydrogen into stars would be a good idea, then you also get rare metals as well like gold and platinum for use as catalysts.

of course even a star from the gas as small as a stadium would have global effects, but if it were the size of a medium house, and done in the ocean, it would mean energy for the entire world all for the cost of some hydrogen and the energy to compress it, assuming it don't kill us all and we can compress it enough.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 04:49:23 AM

I think compressing hydrogen into stars would be a good idea, then you also get rare metals as well like gold and platinum for use as catalysts.

of course even a star from the gas as small as a stadium would have global effects, but if it were the size of a medium house, and done in the ocean, it would mean energy for the entire world all for the cost of some hydrogen and the energy to compress it, assuming it don't kill us all and we can compress it enough.

There are MUCH better ways of making fusion plants than a naked star...

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ctoon6

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:57:54 AM

Like?

and yes, i know that idea was half assed at best.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 05:00:55 AM

Like?

Like wrapping it in a magnetic bottle...

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 05:03:57 AM

Like?

saw the magnet thing and thought of this

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:11:58 AM

All elements beyond iron consume energy in their production, and can only occur within certain types of stars at certain stages.  Even if we were to crack the fusion issue, the most that we could expect from it would be helium.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anonymous

July 14, 2011, 05:26:31 AM

http://prometheusfusionperfection.com/

Smiley
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:41:54 AM

Liberate tutemet ex inferis

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
ctoon6

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 05:46:22 AM

it has design challenges, but is no doubtfully safer than my suicide plan.

but for now i think the best solution is nuclear and launching the waste into space toward the sun using the magnetic rails to escape the earths gravity, overcoming the dangers of rockets and them being a dirty bomb.

i will try to answer the question the thread was made for as well, although i don't fully understand the subject of nuclear chemistry, i know a thing or 2.

Fertile material is a term used to describe nuclides which generally themselves do not undergo induced fission (fissionable by thermal neutrons) but from which fissile material is generated by neutron absorption and subsequent nuclei conversions. Fertile materials that occur naturally which can be converted into a fissile material by irradiation in a reactor include:
thorium-232 which converts into uranium-233
uranium-234 which converts into uranium-235
uranium-238 which converts into plutonium-239

so really nuclear reactors work by just giving some elements from neutrons and them making another fissile isotope, then that splits and releases energy and various elements.

From what i can tell the advantage to using Th is that it does not need to be enriched as opposed to U? i have no idea if that is correct because i do not know what it is or looks like right out of the ground. id be nice to have a nuclear engineer around to explain it all fully.

compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:44:54 PM

From what i can tell the advantage to using Th is that it does not need to be enriched as opposed to U? i have no idea if that is correct because i do not know what it is or looks like right out of the ground. id be nice to have a nuclear engineer around to explain it all fully.

Some reactors will run nicely on unenriched uranium, like CANDU.  Handily, it will also run on thorium, among other things like slightly processed light water reactor waste (it still contains about as much U-235 as unenriched uranium), recycled plutonium, and more.
BBanzai

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:21:19 PM

Deuterium.  Polywell reactor.  A simple home fusion reactor.  Go make your own sun, kids!  http://www.emc2fusion.org/, http://talk-polywell.org/bb/index.php
ctoon6

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 02:23:02 PM

would i die if i made that

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 05:08:16 AM

Only if you were hanging around when it was running.  The polywell, and it's derivatives, are not that hard to make, really; and have been used as a neutron source for medical experiments for decades.  The hard part is getting the deutritium, and getting over-parity out of one.  Neither goal is trivial.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ctoon6

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:43:13 PM

Only if you were hanging around when it was running.  The polywell, and it's derivatives, are not that hard to make, really; and have been used as a neutron source for medical experiments for decades.  The hard part is getting the deutritium, and getting over-parity out of one.  Neither goal is trivial.

yeah, i knew the second they mentioned D, id probably never make one  Cry

compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:14:22 PM

Deuterium.  Polywell reactor.  A simple home fusion reactor.  Go make your own sun, kids!  http://www.emc2fusion.org/, http://talk-polywell.org/bb/index.php

polywell.  the CPU miner of the power production world.

none of their reactors thus far is energy positive.  they're only currently useful for research or as a neutron beam source (a fusor is more efficient for this).
BBanzai

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:23:42 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2011, 04:36:03 AM by BBanzai

Actually, last claims were above unity.  Then the Navy took over.  Curious.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2011, 09:12:45 AM

Google video "thorium". There's at least 3 interesting talks.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: