Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:00:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will any long term holders admit to cashing out or wanting to cash out?  (Read 2429 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:00:14 PM

I figure that with the price declines over the last weeks that some long term holders may want to cash out because of the constant losses.

Has anyone here cashed out or are seriously thinking about it?

In fact, I've tried to cash in @503 (a 90 days+ old order!), gox ticker has fallen to 500, but gox never fullfiled my order.

Funny isn't it?

Its God trying to tell you to stop playing the system, cancel your sell orders, and sit back so he can make you rich in 3 years.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
checkers6676

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:01:15 PM

I figure that with the price declines over the last weeks that some long term holders may want to cash out because of the constant losses.

In fact, I've tried to cash in @503 (a 90 days+ old order!), gox ticker has fallen to 500, but gox never fullfiled my order.

Funny isn't it?

Its God trying to tell you to stop playing the system, cancel your sell orders, and sit back so he can make you rich in 3 years.

-B-

or to stop using gox
trepper

Activity: 89
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:04:06 PM

Funny isn't it?

-B-
Lips sealed
It wasnt a sell order, it was a buy order (i had not have to wait it more than 90 days if it was a sell...)
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:08:44 PM

all these 'No' replies are just saying they won't admit to it..  Kiss

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:34:32 PM

No dude, no need to cash out. The Bitcoin economy will grow in the coming years where u'll realize that u'll never need to cash out to fiat ever.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:43:40 PM

No dude, no need to cash out. The Bitcoin economy will grow in the coming years where u'll realize that u'll never need to cash out to fiat ever.

I already HATE the fact that I have to wait sometimes up to and over an hour for a Bitcoin transaction to complete. Litecoin on the other hand is much faster, and Quark even quicker still. Bitcoin being the first of its kind, has the advantage of a massive early lead in the market, but perhaps there are crudities in it's design which in the long run will prove untenable.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:56:32 PM

I already HATE the fact that I have to wait sometimes up to and over an hour for a Bitcoin transaction to complete. Litecoin on the other hand is much faster, and Quark even quicker still. Bitcoin being the first of its kind, has the advantage of a massive early lead in the market, but perhaps there are crudities in it's design which in the long run will prove untenable.
Build your own wallet that requires 0 confirmations. As it is, businesses already do that for smaller stuff. And really, if you can't wait ten minutes for a $1k or higher order to go through maybe you should consider if something is wrong with you.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
XxionxX

Activity: 254

Digital money you say?

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:59:14 PM

I thought about it... And then remembered how much I regretted selling last time. I still feel bad sometimes.

I am up fiat and I have a decent amount of bitcoin, why would I sell? To zero or $50k+!

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:08:47 PM

Build your own wallet that requires 0 confirmations. As it is, businesses already do that for smaller stuff. And really, if you can't wait ten minutes for a $1k or higher order to go through maybe you should consider if something is wrong with you.

But it is never 10 minutes. It is often around over one hour from exchange to wherever I am wanting to use the Bitcoin. I have lost value making purchases with Bitcoins many times.

If Quark takes only five minutes to make a transaction, and has more layers of security, why should I have to wait 70-80 minutes, and sometimes even longer to get a Bitcoin transaction complete? Only reason why I have to wait is that Bitcoin has a a very large userbase and I am actually able to spend them on stuff, but that could change.

Build my own wallet that requires 0 confirmations. What is that? Is it safe? And why should I have to bother myself with something like this?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:13:43 PM

If Quark

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:14:34 PM

But it is never 10 minutes. It is often around over one hour from exchange to wherever I am wanting to use the Bitcoin. I have lost value making purchases with Bitcoins many times.

If Quark takes only five minutes to make a transaction, and has more layers of security, why should I have to wait 70-80 minutes, and sometimes even longer to get a Bitcoin transaction complete? Only reason why I have to wait is that Bitcoin has a a very large userbase and I am actually able to spend them on stuff, but that could change.

Build my own wallet that requires 0 confirmations. What is that? Is it safe? And why should I have to bother myself with something like this?

Exchanges have to be secure. That means the standard 6 confirmations. Deal with it. Or build your own exchange, there is that option too.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:18:17 PM

You don't have to wait an hour.   It is that some merchants require 6 confirmations for trivial amounts. The risk of being double spent on a tx with say 3 confirmations is essentially zero, yet maybe cling to the 6 confirm rule like it was passed down to Satoshi from God on a pair of clay tablets. If they require that for Bitcoin what makes you think it would be any different with another blockchain?

This would be like a store asking to for a DNA sample, retina scan, getting the receipt notarized, and the cashier taking a photo of you while you hold the credit card, your ID, and a note saying I approve this transaction, along with the current day's newspaper just to be safe every time you buy a candybar with a credit card.  Would you then say "credit cards are too hard to use" or would you say "this store is stupid I am going to 7-11"?

spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:59:13 PM

I think about cashing out up until the point that it reminds me of how I felt when it hit $50. Then I think of the multiyear log chart.

silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:04:57 AM

You don't have to wait an hour.   It is that some merchants require 6 confirmations for trivial amounts. The risk of being double spent on a tx with say 3 confirmations is essentially zero, yet maybe cling to the 6 confirm rule like it was passed down to Satoshi from God on a pair of clay tablets. If they require that for Bitcoin what makes you think it would be any different with another blockchain?

This would be like a store asking to for a DNA sample, retina scan, getting the receipt notarized, and the cashier taking a photo of you while you hold the credit card, your ID, and a note saying I approve this transaction, along with the current day's newspaper just to be safe every time you buy a candybar with a credit card.  Would you then say "credit cards are too hard to use" or would you say "this store is stupid I am going to 7-11"?

Credit card are too hard to use.  Bitcoin is the only way to fly !!
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:49:54 AM

if you want to cash out - this is definitely not the time to even think about it. especially if you paid >$750. but if you like buying high and selling low, be my guest
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:09:28 AM

its hilarious esp. since op was seller at 5.  his timing is exactly wrong... big LT holders were selling in nov dec.  rpietela started it off.  goat bought some gold near parity and a lambo at 800+.  and others...

I think LT holders who didnt buy back in the  last 2 drops are finishing their purchases now.  with all the positive infra news the coin is only going to appreciate.  Gox is irrelevant and has been ever since you couldnt cash out.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:16:58 AM

No way I'm cashing out. I am only here to take part and support the advent of this amazing piece of technology, and to get away from the great fiat scam out there perpetrated by banks and other elite financial institutions. I will only sell some coins when I am absolutely positive I am able to buy back in cheaper, as I did today and scored a couple extra bitcoins. The price could drop to $10 and I would have all my coins (and scramble as much fiat I can in the meantime to buy more).

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:17:16 AM

I've sold many coins along the way, most way too low. I sell enough to live on, and have enough to do so modestly for at least 50 years at current prices. I do ball out occasionally though Grin

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:02:21 PM

BTC transactions are for all practical purposes instant. You can test it yourself by sending between addresses you control. The delay is maybe a couple of seconds at most. Once a transaction has been sent, the network will reject any subsequent attempts to double-spend.  (there are ways for bad people to get around this, but they are more theoretical than practical and would not be economic for small transactions).

The reason why it sometimes takes time to receive your BTC from an exchange is that you are depending upon the exchange to send the BTC to your address instantly. That depends upon their in-house software, efficiency etc.

Confirmations are a different story. They take time by design because they are what prevents people from fraudulently re-writing history (i.e. the blockchain). But for all normal-sized transactions (anything less than four or even five figures), confirmations are not required as the cost of double-spending will exceed the cost of the transaction. As DandT says, it is rather like the corner-shop requiring your DNA before you can use a debit card to spend 2 dollars. The only reason why most sellers require confirmations (let alone 6) is habit/lack of understanding.

There is no advantage whatever to alts with faster confirmations. it is a complete myth.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:41:28 PM

There is no advantage whatever to alts with faster confirmations. it is a complete myth.   

yep, made a transfer yesterday and it appeared on my blockchain app almost immediately! now just to find a store that accepts them
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: