Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:07:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte R9 290x - Black Screen  (Read 2959 times)
granitepeaker (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:13:15 PM

I have a GIGABYTE AMD Radeon R9 290X OC 4GB GDDR5 (model: GA-R929XOC)

All the latest drivers were installed a week ago.  The display was working except for that it would crash to a black screen about every other day. A hard reboot would get things going again. Then a couple days ago the computer froze to the desktop screen.  I hard rebooted and then no screen came back. It was just a black screen with no boot screen or desktop. I could hear windows loading and could connect with a remote connection to see a black desktop with white cursor. I put in a different gpu and windows and my hard drives loaded again.  I uninstalled the drivers/catalyst and restarted and tried with 290x again and still no difference. I even tried running Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode with my old gpu and still the 290x boots with a black screen.  I created support tickets a few days ago with AMD and Gigabyte, but have not heard back from either.  Any thoughts on what to try?  Thanks!
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:32:01 AM

System specs please, particularly your PSU brand/wattage.

Also, I assume you know this, but be sure you have the 6 pin AND 8 pin power supply connectors plugged in...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:44:28 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2014, 08:35:15 PM by granitepeaker

Asus M4A87TD EVO AMD870
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.2
Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU.  Single chain - yes, I have both the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors plugged in.
Corsair 16gb XMS3 PC3-1333 DDR3 Ram
Evga GeForce GT 430 1 GB DDR3 (old GPU that is working)

Now that all my 290x drivers/catalyst are uninstalled. I wonder if I should install the latest 14.1 beta catalyst and then put the 290x in again and try it. Or is that a no no to install first?
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:52:51 PM

Asus M4A87TD EVO AMD870
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.2
Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU.  Single chain - yes, I have both the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors plugged in.
Corsair 16gb XMS3 PC3-1333 DDR3 Ram
Evga GeForce GT 430 1 GB DDR3 (old GPU that is working)

This may or may not be the problem, but it's generally advised that you turn off the on-board graphics when using a PCI-e card, particularly when one is nVidia and the other is AMD architecture as there is potential for driver conflicts...

The PSU should be plenty of wattage, if you have another KNOWN working PSU around the same wattage or higher I would try swapping them out just to eliminate a faulty PSU as being the issue.

Everything else looks good there.

Now that all my 290x drivers/catalyst are uninstalled. I wonder if I should install the latest 14.1 beta catalyst and then put the 290x in again and try it. Or is that a no no to install first?

Others may disagree with this, but I suggest when removing nvidia or AMD drivers to always do so in safe mode using driver sweeper because I myself have had personal experience with the packaged uninstallers not removing drivers entirely and not completely removing their registry entries. I think you should uninstall the drivers entirely and then re-install the latest drivers.

If all of that fails, I would take the card back and have it looked at as I assume it is still under warranty.

Let me know what results you come back with.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:34:56 PM

@TribalBob
Yes, I ran the amd uninstaller and then rebooted in safe mode and ran Display Driver Uninstaller for nvidia/amd. I've been told by many on this forum that 750-watt psu should be plenty strong to run two 290xs. 
I also summed it was under warranty but Gigabyte told me that it wasn't even though I purchased it less then 30 days ago, how screwy is that. So I have an RMA from them, but then wanted to get SuperBiiz from who I purchased it from to replace or refund it, but they won't respond to me and they have a 30-day policy and I'd have to overnight ship it today to get it there tomorrow, but I have no RMA from them. Drr
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:40:26 PM

14.1 will not mine, AFAIK. Something about the ADL library being shot. Expect to see really, really low hashrates, if anything at all.

Are you using auto start scrypts? Are you using a GPU clocking utility that might be trying to set clock or voltage adjustments on boot?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
granitepeaker (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:43:17 PM

No auto start scrypts, no clock or voltage adjustments, no gpu clocking utility installed at all.
grippy54

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 04:41:34 AM

14.1 will not mine
Don't use the 14.1 drivers. I did and it destroyed my khs. Had to go back to 13.12.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: