Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:16:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SCAMMER ALERT  (Read 4804 times)
r00t$ (OP)

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:24:36 PM

The scammer goes by Johnna McNaphee, Nicholas, and/or Shaun McNamee

They have been selling BFL equipment on craigslist http://stlouis.craigslist.org/sys/4315312731.html

And other misc items on bitcoin classifieds website http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/profile/5039/

* since contacting bitcoin classifieds admin, they have banned the user*

They use a profile on localbitcoins as a "character reference" to highlight they fact they have 100% feedback. Could be a hacked account?

https://localbitcoins.com/ad/75706/buy-bitcoins-with-cash-kansas-city-ks-usa

Here is a BTC address they have been using to receive payments...

162gVCPucS1KhM6EVzix3mza6sVvt3Ajyn

Another guy that got scammed has given me this name and address that the scammer had included in an email, but it's likely not the scammer. I have not had a moment to contact the party to verify.

Shaun McNamee
8717 Marty Ln
Overland Park, KS 66212-2033

I REPEAT, THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SCAMMER"S ADDRESS! I do not see any reason why the scammer would give up his name and address

Known email address are mcnaphee71@gmail.com

I've also discovered the IP the scammer used to logon to the bitcoin classifieds website...

IP address: 69.29.24.211
Last activity: 2014-02-11 03:50:57
Last location: Missouri   , Columbia

I am out .76 BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pws328

Activity: 88

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 12:03:12 AM

I was also a victim of this scam. Just goes to show, if you find something that's too good to be true, it isn't. The seller has said they would refund the money, but we will have to wait till monday for them to get it. r00t$ has been really good at keeping the pressure up, so maybe we'll see a result sooner rather than later.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 12:41:09 AM

Thanks for letting us know to stay away from him.

r00t$ (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 01:58:32 AM

So he has promised myself and another scammed buyer a refund come Monday. I highly doubt he will deliver.

That being said, I still find it odd that the address he gave is in Kansas City, and the IP last used to login to bitcoinclassifieds.net is right outside Kansas City.

It's either a cleverly used VPN, or he does in fact live around Kansas City.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 02:16:17 AM

So he has promised myself and another scammed buyer a refund come Monday. I highly doubt he will deliver.

That being said, I still find it odd that the address he gave is in Kansas City, and the IP last used to login to bitcoinclassifieds.net is right outside Kansas City.

let us know does he gave you back what he should. Smiley

Cheer up Smiley
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:26:16 AM

Don't follow you. Why's it odd his IP address matches his real address???
r00t$ (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:33:50 PM

The address we have is one the scammer gave up freely. If he never had intentions of delivering the goods, why would be list his real address?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:17:00 PM

The address we have is one the scammer gave up freely. If he never had intentions of delivering the goods, why would be list his real address?

Just because his IP address is Kansas doesn't indicate he's used his actual real address. Probably just a random address in the city ..... or maybe he really is dumb and has used his real address ;-/
pws328

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 08:35:04 PM

Just because his IP address is Kansas doesn't indicate he's used his actual real address. Probably just a random address in the city ..... or maybe he really is dumb and has used his real address ;-/

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for dumb.
stlcoin

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 09:21:26 PM

This is the info gathered from scammer..

913-428-0984
http://www.windstream.com
abuse@windstream.net

mcnaphee71@gmail.com

CEX.io is: homefund

Your CEX.IO Voucher code is: 
435d9db94c44f2b2f17bb93fa1cc32586a49db85c11f39a2 (35.00000000 GHS)

Nicholas (homefund)

craigslist 4315312731

Arbor Creek Village
Olathe, KS

https://www.spokeo.com/checkout?q=(913)+428-0984&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spokeo.com%2Freverse-phone-lookup%2Fsearch%3Fcbx%3D1391803719918%26p%3D913-428-0984%26spa10%3Dt105&pp=37&ub=&spa10=t105&plan=spk_month0_tl0m_phone_2&product=phone

Any one have actual address?
r00t$ (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:37:59 PM

Does anyone ever pick up when you call that number?

I've tried a couple times but always get a generic answering machine message.

Could be a phone that the scammers instruct others to never pick up, or it gets routed somewhere else  Huh
carpevita

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:45:25 AM

I actually talked to this guy on Sunday 2/9/12 around 6PM EST.  This number did ring my phone.  We talked for a few minutes, then he "lost signal."  I'm not sure if he was using some sort of crappy VOIP system or what.  He called back again a few minutes later and we discussed different things regarding mining, etc.  He knew his stuff.  It dropped a second time after 5 more minutes then I didn't talk to him again.  I called back and nothing.

He apologized and emailed saying he had no signal and would call back later.  He became more and more frantic when I wouldn't transfer the BTC.  I was just about to not send it but he made note that he would just give the miners to the countless others waiting.  He got me for ~0.9 BTC claiming that prices had gone down for BTC. 

He buddied up with me to a point of trust then got me thinking, would an actual scammer call me?  The answer is yes.  He sounded liked a guy in his early 30's (as I am) and obviously technologically sound.

The story he gave me was that his wife was pregnant and was "going to pop."  If this is the supposed real Shaun McNaphee, and info is real.  I doubt any of it is, but we will soon find out after I contact the Orland Park PD. 

1) He lives in a home worth nearly nothing.
2) He lives with his mom.
3) Went after people a little farther away than his area so it had to be "shipped."

The guy who he is posing as will soon know either way.  It's likely he's a "rookie."  He either is the guy or knows the guy. 

We probably won't get our money back but he will also probably be caught.  I made him a promise that I would find him and I would have help.  He will probably even read this, funny enough.  So, I guess just refund us and we'll just be done?  Am I right?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 02:07:18 AM

"Would an actual scammer call me"?

Unfortunately, that's a great big yes. Most of the biggest scams are done over the phone because you start to trust people more when you hear their voice. Its what all those nasty "boiler rooms" rely on.
hyperdallas

Activity: 108

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:46:42 PM

lol you idiots, dont u know u never send money 1st for anything off craigslist?  Same for western union, i think it clearly has it in red on the top of the page, to not do anything like that u so bad

Edit

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

bottom of page
empoweoqwj

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:25:29 PM

lol you idiots, dont u know u never send money 1st for anything off craigslist?  Same for western union, i think it clearly has it in red on the top of the page, to not do anything like that u so bad

Edit

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

bottom of page

They may be idiots, but at least they can spell the word "you".

bottom of page
pws328

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:08:19 PM

I actually talked to this guy on Sunday 2/9/12 around 6PM EST.  This number did ring my phone.  We talked for a few minutes, then he "lost signal."  I'm not sure if he was using some sort of crappy VOIP system or what.  He called back again a few minutes later and we discussed different things regarding mining, etc.  He knew his stuff.  It dropped a second time after 5 more minutes then I didn't talk to him again.  I called back and nothing.

He apologized and emailed saying he had no signal and would call back later.  He became more and more frantic when I wouldn't transfer the BTC.  I was just about to not send it but he made note that he would just give the miners to the countless others waiting.  He got me for ~0.9 BTC claiming that prices had gone down for BTC. 

He buddied up with me to a point of trust then got me thinking, would an actual scammer call me?  The answer is yes.  He sounded liked a guy in his early 30's (as I am) and obviously technologically sound.

The story he gave me was that his wife was pregnant and was "going to pop."  If this is the supposed real Shaun McNaphee, and info is real.  I doubt any of it is, but we will soon find out after I contact the Orland Park PD. 

1) He lives in a home worth nearly nothing.
2) He lives with his mom.
3) Went after people a little farther away than his area so it had to be "shipped."

The guy who he is posing as will soon know either way.  It's likely he's a "rookie."  He either is the guy or knows the guy. 

We probably won't get our money back but he will also probably be caught.  I made him a promise that I would find him and I would have help.  He will probably even read this, funny enough.  So, I guess just refund us and we'll just be done?  Am I right?

Hey Carpe, sorry he got to you too. I think this guy had us all lulled into a false sense of security, and was really good at assuaging the fears that would crop up during the transaction. I too had a few moments where I thought, "is this a scam?" but dealing with him was pleasant and he was responsive and seemed like a genuine "nice guy". Hopefully we'll get some resolution, even if its just that he stops scamming people.
pws328

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 04:25:31 PM

I don't know if this helps, but when I was looking through my email thread with the scammer, I saw that a few of his emails were sent from his phone with the "Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE exclusively from Sprint" default signature. Does the number we have list as a sprint number? I'm not entirely sure how to check the status of something like this.
r00t$ (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 07:22:32 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 07:41:07 PM by r00t$

That phone number is from an online VOIP provider Bandwidth.com.

It's probably a google number

EDIT* not a goggle voice number.
r00t$ (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 08:54:24 PM

It looks like Bryan in Chicago is going to get scammed as well.

This is the same shit he pulled with me. Included a personalized message to attempt to prove this 100% positive feedback account is his. I hope Bryan is more sober than I was.
pws328

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:28:49 PM

Oh no, poor Bryan. Hopefully he will figure it out before it's too late.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: