Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:48:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin has stopped downloading blocks?  (Read 2853 times)
Dairy (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 09:22:28 PM

I recently installed bitcoin v4. It seems to be stuck on 109591 blocks. The strange thing is that it was on that amount of blocks even when I first installed it and didn't have time to download any. It usually has 8 connections and there is a warning message on the bottom that says "WARNING: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade, or other nodes may need to upgrade."
I'm on Win 7 64-bit and I tried the MSE exclusion list solution which did not work. I'd download the blockchain myself but I foolishly transferred some money to the account before I was sure it worked. Apparently, downloading the blockchain now would result in my wallet being corrupted and my money being lost. What should be my next step here?
Thanks for any help.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 09:36:52 PM

The strange thing is that it was on that amount of blocks even when I first installed it

so you upgraded then from a v3.x version, right?

downloading the blockchain now would result in my wallet being corrupted and my money being lost

as long as you keep a good backup of your wallet.dat, you will not lose the ability to spend those coins. 

you can force a more recent snapshot of the blockchain here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain  perhaps a clean copy of the blockchain will resolve the problem stopping the client from downloading the blocks.  try -rescan if necessary.

Dairy (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 09:47:38 PM

The strange thing is that it was on that amount of blocks even when I first installed it

so you upgraded then from a v3.x version, right?

downloading the blockchain now would result in my wallet being corrupted and my money being lost

as long as you keep a good backup of your wallet.dat, you will not lose the ability to spend those coins. 

you can force a more recent snapshot of the blockchain here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain  perhaps a clean copy of the blockchain will resolve the problem stopping the client from downloading the blocks.  try -rescan if necessary.

No, it was a clean install as far as I can remember. So I could copy the wallet.dat, transfer a downloaded blockchain, and I'll be able to still spend the coins? Good news. I was going use the blockchain from this site; http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/. Is it reputable? How would I run with -rescan?  Thanks again.
Dairy (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 10:44:40 PM

I downloaded the blockchain from the above bitcoinchart site after backing up my wallet.dat and then ran bitcoin again. It started updating as soon as I started it and now I'm at the correct number. So that works, thanks for the advice! When should I expect my bitcoins to show up in my wallet? I sent them a few days ago but it never showed up because the blockchain was out of date (I presume). Now they should show up right?
Dairy (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 02:00:25 AM

I downloaded the blockchain from the above bitcoinchart site after backing up my wallet.dat and then ran bitcoin again. It started updating as soon as I started it and now I'm at the correct number. So that works, thanks for the advice! When should I expect my bitcoins to show up in my wallet? I sent them a few days ago but it never showed up because the blockchain was out of date (I presume). Now they should show up right?

They should show as soon as you have the block they appear in downloaded. Check the site below with your address to see if they were sent to you or the address you sent from or one of the various other methods used there to track the coins.

http://blockexplorer.com/

I found it on there and it's correct but it still hasn't appeared in my wallet. Is there any way to fix this?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 02:15:50 PM

They should show as soon as you have the block they appear in downloaded. Check the site below with your address to see if they were sent to you or the address you sent from or one of the various other methods used there to track the coins.

http://blockexplorer.com/

I found it on there and it's correct but it still hasn't appeared in my wallet. Is there any way to fix this?

If you have sent Bitcoins to your wallet address (and it really is your address, check in your bitcoin address book that it is there and correct), and Bitcoin has updated to the most recent block, then I would suggest closing and restarting Bitcoin with the -rescan command line option, which will rescan the blockchain for any missing transactions that should show in your wallet.

Block downloading will go much faster if you configure port forwarding in your router or internet gateway device to forward tcp port 8333 to your Bitcoin computer - instead of eight connections, you will have dozens.
Dairy (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 09:24:33 PM

Thanks deepceleron, that worked perfectly. Thanks to everyone that helped!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: