Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:26:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Isn't this whole bitcoin thing just a big scammers party?  (Read 2802 times)
JMAHH

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 01:37:53 PM

Lol, I've wondered the same thing I must admit, or at least, should I say I have wondered if Bitcoin itself is the product of a MAJOR international scam, create a currency thats cool - wait for it to get big - "we'll have that thank you very much".... The bad people of the world could of created it, drug cartels, hackers, NWO, Govn, CIA etc, however its out there now - what happens with it could be out of there control.

However, I'd like to believe that the whole crytocurrency thing "could" be the start of something awesome to happen to mankind (for once).

And for that, I'm willing to give it attention and hope for the best.

Lol I can kind of go with that, especially with the "anonymous" creator of Bitcoin who won't step into the spotlight...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrCory

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:25:14 PM

Bitcoin is essentially the equivalent of anonymous cash on the internet. You have btc scammers just like you have scammers everywhere else. Bitcoin is just a semi safe way to screw someone.
DreadSy

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:03:41 PM

Scamming comes and goes with currencies, as I hope with Bitcoin (going that is, not coming). It's the lack of regulation that scares most people because there's no further authority if you've been scammed.

If we're going to establish Bitcoin as a legitimate currency then we can either jump in and hope for the best or run away. I'd like to think that I've been sensible and used a little thing called common sense, and maybe it was just luck, but I've avoided being the victim of any scammer throughout the last two years or so of being involved in the Bitcoin industry and trade.

I have quite a bit of faith in Bitcoin, but I have no faith in the people who use the currency and give up at the first sign of trouble. This doesn't make the currency stronger or more likely to have the chance of sufficient regulation. It means the new economy is one more man down.

Long Live Bitcoin!  Grin
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:47:06 PM

Common sense and tradition need time to form and mature. I imagine most of when and where decentralized physical currencies were the convention, it wasn't like the wild west. Not only individuals and businesses find a way to deal with scammers, the society shapes itself so that scams aren't prevalent (education, intimidation, etc.). Worst case, there is evolutionary pressure favoring societies that has lower parasite problems.

Centrally controlled currency is around for millenia, and it's still not exactly settled. My opinion is, it's easier to find ways that lets us do businesses transparently and gauge who to trust and who not to, with systems built on and similar to Bitcoin. We don't even need millenia. But if you think this will happen overnight, then I guess it's better to stay away from Bitcoin. Otherwise, godspeed. We are all building this new future, even the scammers are contributing to it. Wink
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 07:16:19 PM

I would suggest one to look closer at what Bitcoin can allow in terms of personal security of ones own money.

Look at the systems and services that are being built to work with it...  For example I find Open Transactions to be something exciting that will work very well along side Bitcoin.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki

The real beauty of Open-Transactions is the as-yet-unwritten future of new ideas that you can build with it, and the future liberty and security of your children that you can help to protect by doing so—in a very real and tangible way.
The vision is not of a central server that you must trust.
Rather, the vision is of federated servers you don’t have to trust.
MintDice

Activity: 238
Merit: 46

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 07:25:57 PM

Unfortunately, the vast part of society does not understand it well. Thus, malicious people are using new tactics, as well as those that were used in fiat currency, to steal from unknowing people. However, there are a lot of way to avoid this, which we touch on in our blog post:

Bit.ly/ScamCoins

Hope this helps!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 08:22:37 PM

The reason is because of Sutton's law. Based on bank robber Willie Sutton"s supposed quote. When a reporter asked him why he robs banks he replied "Because that's where the money is". Money attracts criminals, plain and simple.  Bitcoin is money so it should be no surprise to see all the scams here.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
p4npos

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 11:22:08 PM

The world is full of scammers and theives. Does it mean we should stop living in it. The answer is no. We should be careful of any scams and keep our eyes open for any wrong doings in the cryptocurrency market. Am i right guys?
Litecoindigger

Activity: 102
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 10:06:45 PM

everywhere I look I see scam sites, untrustworthy people, hackers and pyramid schemes running riot,

isn't this whole bitcoin thing just a trap? I don't really see why you'd want to be part of it...
It's clear the scammers are not far away if there is a chance to scam people and earning good money. Lots of investors are very naive when it comes to investing. They are easy to scam because the do not their own research, see Bitconnect.

You can't compare Bitcoin to a scamsite as Bitcoin has a real intention and is working. It's waterproof and most people hating against it are afraid from it like banks or rulers. Finally Bitcoin will steal their methods scamming all the people.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: