Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:29:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new system of voting based upon Bitcoin  (Read 3394 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 08:33:52 PM

still get the protection. 

From whom?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 08:35:35 PM

From whom?

From people who are violently mentally ill.  Surely you could read that?
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 09:02:29 PM

From whom?

From people who are violently mentally ill.  Surely you could read that?

The ones who don't vote to pay for care of the violent mentally ill still get the protection.

Whom will provide the protection?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2011, 09:05:36 PM

From whom?

From people who are violently mentally ill.  Surely you could read that?

The ones who don't vote to pay for care of the violent mentally ill still get the protection.

Whom will provide the protection?

Whom?  What kind of grammar is that?

Its your system.  You decide what to call the people who provide protection. 
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2011, 10:07:50 PM

Its your system.  You decide what to call the people who provide protection.  

The system is a method of voting for how money is spent. Not on how things are done.

The only enforcement power within the system is the distribution of funds. That is tied to Bitcoins and cannot be corrupted.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 06:33:11 AM

The system is a method of voting for how money is spent. Not on how things are done.

The only enforcement power within the system is the distribution of funds. That is tied to Bitcoins and cannot be corrupted.

So you vote how money is spent and there is no-one to actually, um, spend it? 
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2011, 06:03:20 PM

You have obviously not read the full OP, otherwise you are just trolling.

Come back after you have read it.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2011, 06:52:02 PM

You have obviously not read the full OP, otherwise you are just trolling.

Come back after you have read it.

I have.  And I don't think its workable.  You will never get 100% consensus and attempting to force it will result in secession.  The best you can aim for is majority rule.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2011, 12:21:24 AM

I have.  And I don't think its workable.  You will never get 100% consensus and attempting to force it will result in secession.  The best you can aim for is majority rule.

There is no requirement for 100% consensus. Try again.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2011, 06:41:33 AM

There is no requirement for 100% consensus. Try again.

I think you need to read your own post.
GroundRod

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2012, 03:40:54 PM

As I'm learning more and more about BitCoins, this idea popped into my head.  As original ideas are few, did a search first and sure enough this thread popped up with the same description, so instead of starting a new one, and addressing the OP's concept directly, perhaps another way of looking at this problem needs to be developed & as I've not worked out any of the details, the intent here is to spur continued discussion & approach the problem of voting from different angles...

One where like BitCoin's is to money, and NameCoin's is to DNS services, why not have a VoteCoin type implementation where anyone could contribute votes on any issue they saw fit.  Remove the concept of money from voting completely.  So much today is about buying votes, and the process is rotten to the core.  Obviously corruption in that regard has reached the highest levels in society today.  IMO measures &/or officials should fail to pass, unless those people effected at least care enough to even bother to vote.

The whole idea of "mining for votes", might take on a whole new meaning &/or be redefined technically from the way BitCoin's works, or ride piggy back similar to how NameCoins derive new coins.  Have no idea at the moment, how to work out that detail, maybe scrap that part of the code entirely, and assign one coin to each voter for every issue needing to be voted on, perhaps mining becomes a way for those individuals that care about this or that issue to bring any given vote topic into existence.  Just throwing out ideas...

Another one is...only those issues, from within the entity being effected should get vote coin, such as a city, county, country etc. so perhaps many different levels of p2p blockchains could co-exist for those sub-entities, with a natural tendency for having the global votecoin chain exist only for those issues which effect humanity as a whole on the planet, and when one comes up to that level, every soul gets an equal assigned value to vote ya-nay.

The point is, it seems to me like the most honest and tractable voting system ever developed by humans could come out of thinking about solving once and for all this problem of free, fair & open elections...

Got to run, or will be late for work, still have a foot in 2 worlds...

GR
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: