Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:34:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Blockchain  (Read 117 times)
Puppy01 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 10:22:09 AM

I know the blockchain is the chain of blocks which contain transactions, a hash, and the hash of the previous block (Correct me if I'm wrong). Now, to 'create' a block do you just need transactions that don't fit in the previous one or you need to 'mine' it? The real question is how are blocks created? Do they need maintenance? Why?
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 10:46:05 AM

I know the blockchain is the chain of blocks which contain transactions, a hash, and the hash of the previous block (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Correct. Among several other things.

Now, to 'create' a block do you just need transactions that don't fit in the previous one or you need to 'mine' it? The real question is how are blocks created? Do they need maintenance? Why?
Thanks
You always need mining to create blocks and include transactions.
Without going into too many details, once a transaction is included in a block, it cannot be included again in a new block. So yes, miners would need new transactions for a new block.
In order for a miner to earn the right to create a block they have to solve a mathematical puzzle called hashing.
The miners solve this hashing puzzle on the header of the candidate block (the header is composed of block's version, time stamp, hash, previous hash, Merkle root of the included transactions, nonce, and difficulty target).
The miner who is lucky enough to solve this hashing puzzle is allowed to create the next block.
Once created and propagated, the block is accepted by the entire network (at least in principle) and the entire network maintains the integrity of that block and all the other valid blocks in the blockchain.

adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 10:55:27 AM

I know the blockchain is the chain of blocks which contain transactions, a hash, and the hash of the previous block (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Nope, you are right. Each new blocks created have a relation to the hash of the previous block. So in order to manipulate the block, the previous blocks are also to be altered together which becomes almost impossible. So the larger the chain is the harder it becomes, thus making transactions totally irreversible.
Now, to 'create' a block do you just need transactions that don't fit in the previous one or you need to 'mine' it? The real question is how are blocks created? Do they need maintenance? Why?
Thanks

Butka explained it well.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Puppy01 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 11:06:39 AM

So miners need transactions to create new blocks? When a block is mined and the miner recieves the reward, that reward is called the 'coinbase transaction' inside the block that they just mined and got rewarded for right?
And does the header of the candidate block work as the 'lock' of the block that you are trying to mine?
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 11:17:48 AM

So miners need transactions to create new blocks?
In principle, yes. But, they can even mine an empty block if there are no transactions. The transactions bring additional reward via the transaction fees.

When a block is mined and the miner recieves the reward, that reward is called the 'coinbase transaction' inside the block that they just mined and got rewarded for right?
Right.

And does the header of the candidate block work as the 'lock' of the block that you are trying to mine?
I guess you can say that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: