Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:19:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ... like home  (Read 1955 times)
TiagoTiago (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 10:29:54 PM

We are on our way to having universal fabricators on each home, and at some point, after the economy shifted the focus to raw materials and services, it might get so easy and cheap to make your own automatons that there will be almost no job for humans while at the sametime making things becomes extreelly cheap and easy for everyone.

I made this thread 'cause i would like to ask you how long do you think it will take before we reach the point when everyone will have at least one unifab, and how long (if ever) untill we reach the utopia-like stage, where even aquicring material to use with our personal synthetizers costs almost nothing?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

March 18, 2011, 10:32:27 PM

The more automation there is, the more humans required to maintain it.
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 01:32:18 PM

You don't think repairing will also become automated?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Anonymous

March 19, 2011, 04:08:18 PM

You don't think repairing will also become automated?
Sure but those automatons will still require maintenance.
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 11:45:59 PM

I would expect it to be extremelly unlikelly they will all break at the same time

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Anonymous

March 20, 2011, 12:07:57 AM

I would expect it to be extremelly unlikelly they will all break at the same time
The repair bots are just as likely to break as the machines they repair, of course you have to factor in the exact processes but my point still stands regardless. Add another set of repair bots to add repair bots, the more points of failure that exist. The more points of failure, the more probability a link in the chain will fail.

For a real world example, look at huge arrays of hard drives.
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 12:09:23 AM

Just make universal repairbots that can repair everything a flesh and blood human can and more.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 12:09:59 AM

I mean, make a model of repairbot like that instead of specialized ones

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Anonymous

March 20, 2011, 12:11:08 AM

Well, that's certainly easier said than done. Heh.
TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 12:12:49 AM

Or even better, recycle the broken automatons into more supply for the synthetizers and just synthetize new working ones.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

When I was getting married, I though about using a rep-rap to do the calligraphy on the invitation envelopes. Turned out that my mother-in-law could do it way faster than I could have possibly hoped to acquire one.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 04:11:38 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2011, 03:53:48 AM by Cryptoman

The beauty of having universal fabricators at home is that anything you wish to possess can be represented as a code or data file.  This means it can be purchased and delivered over the internet, with no physical interaction.  This in turn means that it can be done anonymously, if the item is paid for with a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency like Bitcoin.  The bottom line is that 90% of the economy can move to the untaxable gray market.  States will be unable to control the economy or extort revenue from it.

For the past several years, I've been thinking about a near-term project along the same lines.  Imagine a desktop chemical synthesis unit that could perform a large number of different chemical reactions under software control.  You could supply this machine with simple, readily-available substances like household solvents and amino acids from milk, and it could synthesize a wide variety of recreational and prescription drugs.  For example, DMT and psilocybin (active ingredient of magic mushrooms) can be synthesized from tryptophan, found in milk.  This is not wild science fiction as the technology already exists to do this.  You can make polydimethylsiloxane microfluidic devices at home that can become components (reaction vessels, separation chambers, etc.) in such a synthesis unit.  To make it easy on people, some enterprising individual could manufacture and sell the subsystems which could be assembled into a finished unit (I'm imagining that a complete synthesis unit would be outlawed at some point).

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 04:16:57 PM

For the past several years, I've been thinking about a near-term project along the same lines.  Imagine a desktop chemical synthesis unit that could perform a large number of different chemical reactions under software control.  You could supply this machine with simple, readily-available substances like household solvents and amino acids from milk, and it could synthesize a wide variety of recreational or prescription drugs.  For example, DMT and psilocybin (active ingredient of magic mushrooms) can be synthesized from tryptophan, found in milk.  This is not wild science fiction as the technology already exists to do this.  You can make polydimethylsiloxane microfluidic devices at home that can become components (reaction vessels, separation chambers, etc.) in such a synthesis unit.  To make it easy on people, some enterprising individual could manufacture and sell the subsystems which could be assembled into a finished unit (I'm imagining that a complete synthesis unit would be outlawed at some point).

1. Bitcoin commodity market.
2. Courier robots and protocols.
3. Desktop manufacturing systems.

TiagoTiago (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 09:23:00 PM

Would a unit that can only do process up to half be outlawed too? What about one that can do it only from half way to end? If each individually are legal, would having one of each be illegal?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 08:00:59 AM

I've ordered a Thing-o-Matic extruder and intend to offer my 3d printing services for BTC once (if) I get it running and get comfortable with the printing process. Very hobbyist I'm sure, but maybe someone will be interested.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 12:17:54 PM

and how long (if ever) untill we reach the utopia-like stage

We will never reach the utopia like stage because as soon as something stops being scarce as a result of productivity boosts and automation, consumption of that thing skyrockets until it becomes scarce again.  There is always a bottleneck somewhere.

Correction: The utopia-like stage will be reached once human settlement starts expanding into all directions of the universe, and once indefinite suspended animation is possible.  The universe is so vast that for all practical purposes it offers an unlimited supply of energy and matter.  The only limiting factor will be the time it takes to travel to unsettled places.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
lumos

Activity: 157
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 09:13:02 PM

failsafes built upon failsafes built upon failsafes thousands of times as big. if we have these it is because it largely makes things easier, a new step requires less people. i.e. traffic lights, maintained by 1 used by thousands.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 06:10:17 PM

When they invented conveyor belts to speed up production it actually worked despite the occasional breakdown and repair by an individual.

What if instead of repair bots you make whipping bots to increase the human productivity.
If one breaks another one will whip the humans to fix it faster.

Of course you could always substitute electric shock or whatever but whips got the pyramids done. 

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Anonymous

March 23, 2011, 08:38:24 AM

When they invented conveyor belts to speed up production it actually worked despite the occasional breakdown and repair by an individual.

What if instead of repair bots you make whipping bots to increase the human productivity.

Of course you could always substitute electric shock or whatever but whips got the pyramids done. 

whipping bots sounds kinky.  Smiley
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:53:08 PM

whipping bots sounds kinky.  Smiley

Dual purpose!

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: